This discussion is locked
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 10:21 AM by NathalieF RSS

Marriott Rewards VISA card

woodpecker Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm thinking of getting one of the Marriott Rewards VISA cards.  I saw the differences between them.  Can anyone give me a pro or con for one or the other?  Is it worth $65/year to get 15 nights credits?

Thanks.

• Re: Marriott Rewards VISA card
    retired Platinum
    Yes, You get a free nights stay each year, more points (5 points for every $1) when you charge your Marriott stay. Plus credit toward your yearly night stays, Its worth the $65 card fee per year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I've had the expensive VISA Premier card for three or four years and find that the points value for stays and other things make it worth it. Plus when I joined they gave you 15 nights bonus added to your account annually and a certificate for one night's stay at a category 1-6 hotel, which can be worth a couple hundred bucks if you find one in a big city.

Additionally VISA runs promotions with Marriott that sometime add additional vale.  If the fee does not bother you that much then get the Premier VISA.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

emlpop Platinum 8 Reviews
    Stepping... mentioned the 15 stays added to our Marriott account annually.  Is that really annually or just when you apply the first time?  The Premier VISA is a good deal better than other cards especially when we stay at Marriotts.  The "one night stay" at level 1-6 coupon upon renewal is another bonus.

gshock Platinum
    Stepping  I have had the Marriott Visa Signature card since they came out with the card and program. For the first year they give you a certificate for a stay at a 1-4 category Marriott and each subsequent year you get a certificate for a 1-5 category hotel (not 1-6). Also you do get 15 nights credited to your Elite status each year you hold the card 

dzman1 Platinum 2 Reviews

I too have had the card for awhile.  If it helps you reach plat and you use the cert, it's well worth it.  Here are the terms right from the website:

• 15 nights Elite credit every year - Receive 15 nights credit towards Elite status every year, giving you Silver Elite status or better. Enjoy all the exclusive benefits of membership such as Elite Only Rewards, exclusive Guest Services Line, Priority Late Checkout and more.2 Visit www.marriottrewards.com for more details.
    • Anniversary Free Night Stay - Receive a Free Night Stay and each year upon account anniversary, valid at over 2,400 category 1-5 hotels worldwide.3

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks, I stand corrected on that. I had a fuzzy memory of it being for something and used it in Bethesda MD at what I recalled was a cat 6 hotel, but checking it is a 5.  With the escalation of ratings the number of Full Service Marriotts in places I go seem to have pushed upward. For example, the NYC Marquis is now top of the heap, a category 8 locale, meaning it's far out or range for a VISA Premier free night! (reminds me of Victor Borge's skit on inflationary language).

The 15 nights per year benefit is very nice and a good thing to have as we travel less. If I did a pros and cons, I'd say for me at least, the card makes it all worth the fee.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This information is most helpful!

The card has really helped me out by producing a lot of bonus points.

Thanks,

nycuws10025 Platinum

I hold both cards.  I applied for the "original" Marriott Rewards Visa card back in 1995 when I started doing a lot of travel for business.  I intended to replace it with the Premier version, but never got around to cancelling the original card.  Then Chase sweetened the deal on the original card so it became cost-effective to keep both although I really only carry the Premier version with me.  Chase has since devalued the benefits and increased the cost of the Original version so I will probably not renew it this year when my anniversary date arrives.

Here are some comparison features for you to consider.  To save typing, I will use OV (Original Visa) and PV (Premier Visa) when referring to the cards

Annual Fee        

• OV – for many years, $30 each year.  I vaguely recall getting a mailer that the rate will increase this year, but don’t remember what it is going to be – possibly $45 per year?  Don’t try to find this information on the Chase website – it’s not there.
    • PV - $65 each year.

Equivalent Nights (EQN)     

• OV - 10 EQN each year      
    • PV - 15 EQN each year        

You asked if it was worth $65 per year for the PV card.  My answer is some questions for you:

• Do you every find yourself doing the hotel version of "mileage runs" at the end of the year to make sure you get that 75th night (for Platinum Elite)?  Or are you always well beyond whatever threshold you're at?   If you're in no danger of failing to re-up for lack of a few nights, then this feature may be of little benefit to you.  If you sometimes find yourself a little short at the end of the year, this feature is probably a good benefit.  Last year, I did 74 nights, so that 75th night was covered by my PV card.  Where are you going to be able to stay in ANY Marriott brand hotel for $65 a night?  And that was for ONE night.       
    • Do YOU pay for your Marriott stays or does your company?  I have changed jobs and almost never travel for work, so my Platinum Elite status is now entirely based on my own leisure travels.  As mentioned above, one night’s stay for $65 can’t be done.  Four or eight or 15 nights for $65?  For me, it’s good insurance.

Earning Points        

• OV – 3 points per dollar at Marriott Brands, 1 point per dollar everywhere else        
    • PV – 5 points per dollar at Marriott Brands, 2 points per dollar for Airline, Rental Car and Dining spend, 1 point per dollar everywhere else

Additional Benefits      

• OV – after hitting $25K spending in a year, you get a $100 Bonus Bucks Certificate valid for 6 months from date of issuance. Aren’t those fun to try to redeem before they expire? This is a non-beneficial feature in my book.  It is especially of no benefit if you don’t hit $25K spending in a year.        
    • PV – A one-night stay at any Category 1-5 hotel every year on your anniversary date of opening the account.  It is an electronic certificate valid for six months from when issued.  With Marriott’s recent inflation of hotel categories, I haven’t yet had a chance to determine how much this will or will not devalue this feature.  I am writing this from the Melbourne (Australia) Marriott (Cat 5 hotel) and used the free night for the first night of an eight night stay.  Be assured, one night at this hotel was WELL WORTH the $65 annual fee, even if there were no additional benefits of holding the card.  (Elsewhere I have read that the first year, your award is only for a Cat 1-4 hotel.  I don’t recall.  My first year expired without my using it.  I was expecting a paper coupon, but it is actually delivered/deposited electronically to your MR account.  I now know to watch for them.  Be aware of this so you get the full benefit of holding the card)

Issuing Bank

Sadly, both cards are issued by Chase – one of the least customer-friendly banks in the country.  In my opinion, a MAJOR negative, but what are you gonna do?  If Marriott gave us the choice of two banks, I would RUN, not walk to dump Chase and sign up with the other company.  Even if it were the Bank of The Pitts – couldn’t be any worse than Chase!

I strongly recommend the Premier Visa card, feeling that the value of the benefits easily exceeds the cost of holding the card.

Good luck with your decision

Kip (NYCUWS10025) 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

To NYCUWS10025 - your reply is if you were my ghost writer - I had my OV since 1995, too and have anlayzed the differences as you posted. SUPERB writing!

One thing is different - my OV was compromised in November 2008 and I started seeing small purchases that were not authorized (all under $10). This may be due to the OV being the ONLY card I have ever registered on the internet for online purchases. Good news - Chase suspended the account and gave me a new card in under 5 business days.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NYCUWS10025 - Great analysis on the OV vs PV.  I like the examples.

Regards comments about the Issuing Bank, in all fairness, wouldn't it be more constructive to discuss service issues with the bank directly?  What is the purpose of disparaging the bank in a forum where Chase is a business partner to Marriott, the host of this travel community? 

Asserting that the issuing bank is the least friendly in the entire country seems cavalier and irresponsible.  Is it your  expectation that others will agree with you to compel Marriott to change business partners?  What is the desired result?  Provide  examples and a basis so that Marriott can contact the bank to address on behalf of Marriott Visa cardholders.

Postscript 5/3/2009:  In retrospect, NYCUWS10025's comments about the issuing bank's service may have contributed to cardholding voters sentiments during the annual Freddie Awards for Best Affinity Card.  As popular as Marriott Visa and Premier Visa is, neither the OV or PV came home with an Freddie Oscar.  See 1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service or Freddie Awards

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

We're closing this thread but the conversation can continue at http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/31575

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...