3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2009 5:47 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Smoke-Free Policy: Ahead of the Curve?

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott's efforts to create smoke-free environments at all of their properties is ahead of the curve.  The smoke-free policy demonstrates Marriott's leadership in giving high priority to the health, comfort, safety and well-being of their guests and associates.  Is the smoke-free policy implemented at Marriott Vacation Clubs and Marriott Resorts?  I applaud the smoke-free villa policy implemented at the Imperial Palm, Royal Palm and Sabal Palm resorts in Orlando and look forward to the day of a smoke-free vacation resort environment.

Florida is among several forward-thinking states that passed legislation extending the prohibition of smoking in common public areas to include outdoor areas like playgrounds and day care centers.  Several hospitals and healthcare facilities in Florida have even adopted smoke-free parking zones! 

Marriott is not alone in creating outdoor designated smoking areas.  But, creating such areas adajent to swimming pool decks, sports courts and building entranceways merits re-thinking.  Young children go everywhere, and parents follow.  There are issues to contend with:

• Second-hand smoke exposure
  • Unsightly "butt litter" on wet toes
  • Cleaning and maintenance cost
Have you seen any practical solutions?  Is the $250 Room Recovery Fee working at your favorite resort? What about implementing smoke-free vacation resorts along with a Resort Recovery Fee?
  • Re: Ahead of the Curve?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This "Smoke Free", policy is a real "Plus" for my friends and me who don't smoke!

I work with people who do smoke and will not stay at Marriott and I am glad they don't.  Why wold you want to stay at a "Motel 6", just so you can smoke in the room?

Please keep the properties "Smoke free"! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Smoke-Free Policy: Ahead of the Curve?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

USA Today's November 18, 2008 article highlights the public's growing concern about second-hand smoke and the impact on the lodging industry: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/2008-11-17-smoke-free-hotels-no-smoking_N.htm<</a>/p>

The article references AAA's list of smoke-free lodgings and Marriott properties that offer a AAA rate feature very prominently.  As a frequent traveler, the last thing I want is a spotless hotel room with the residual smell of tobacco or cigar smoke.  With room recovery fees as high as $500, it's not surprising that your friends see the wisdom of staying at Motel 6.

Just yesterday, this headline caught my attention:

Governor Crist Proclaims Tobacco Free Florida Week Beginning February 27

And this one took me by total surprise, today:

Up in Smoke: Unassuming Davidson County legislator could effect landmark tobacco restrictions

For additional resources on smoke-free legislation in your state or country point your browser to: http://www.tobacco.org/news<</a>/p>

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Smoke-Free Policy: Ahead of the Curve?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Pingreeman - I appreciate your candor.  You are in good company when it comes to being respectful of other guests.

Since members of my family are highly allergic to tobacco smoke, we go out of our way to avoid exposure - especially on vacation. 

We appreciate Marriott's lead on smoke-free villas, patios and common areas, and would applaud Marriott's steps to go further around pools, sports courts and play areas.

By thoughtful placement/design, Marriott can accomodate your needs as well with designated smoking areas.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...