1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 19, 2009 1:00 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Trekking in Nepal to see Mt Everest

trekker Gold
Currently Being Moderated

If you want an out of the way place with the most amazing sites, culture and people and you don't mind a lot of hiking and living in tents for weeks  on end with Sherpas to assist your every needs...then this is an adventure you don't want to miss. The flight from the states to kathmandu is very long but flying in and seeing the Himalayas looming above the clouds is amazing.  There are a lot of trekking companies to choose from-and for those of you who are a bit more daring and adventurous, you can hire your sherpas and guides in kathmandu and do it a lone. I chose an out fitter who were the first to ever take people in to the country for the sake of hiking.....You have to fly up to Lukla to start your trek- Lukla's airport is known as the most dangerous in the world and an adventure of its own. Lukla is at 9500 ft and climbing towards Everet you only go higher in elevation. Precautions should be taken for altitude sickness...but the trails are VERY primitive but the sites, villages and the hospitable Napales and Tibet people are very inviting and allow trekkers in to their tea houses or homes for stay overs or meals. It's amazing to see that EVERYTHING that is brough in to this region is still carried by yaks, sherpas up the trails to the villages higher up the valley.....There are really 2 seasons to trek in the region- April May (most climb Everest at this time) and the fall Sept, Oct Nov.... Day's are warm and nights are pretty cold.....But I will vever forget how many stars you see at night...You won't see those anywhere else. Notable stops are Namche Bazaar, Tengboche Monestary and and small tea rooms and villages along the way. I lost 3 days in the valley because you are at the mercy of the weather at the small Lukla airport......be prepared to sit and wait and not be on a tight schedule to leave because it probably won't happen....do a lot of research and look in to what each trekking company offers, where they will take you and what yo are responsible to bring and carry- makes a big difference when you're at 13,000 ft plus and can't catch your breath and your climbing up and down elevations that differ as much as 3000-4000 ft a day.....I am willing to do it again- a very memorable vacation!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...