8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 9:43 AM by painedplatinum RSS

Unhappy w/Marriott Rewards

sharonb423 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

It seems many other members here are unhappy with the Rewards Program.

It seems there are differences between qualifying stays and non-qualifying stays, based on how and who you pay. After an ongoing email debate with a customer service rep, I was not promoted to the next higher level even though I should have qualified.

Being an owner of 2 timeshares has done nothing for my status or number of points.

FYI  -HILTON's rewards program is much more progressive, upgrading level based on a nights and/or points, which Marriott does not do! They also have several opportunities to earn triple and even quadruple points throughout the year and you get Gold status after only 36 nights, 14 less than Marriott! Or by earning points.

I told the CSR I would switch to Hilton if they did not honor the upgraded status and I have. Other than limited resorts in the Carribean, the Hilton has been great, even offering upgraded rooms at Silver status, which Marriott does not!

Highly recommend it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unhappy w/Marriott Rewards
    ollie Silver

I agree. Marriot is not keeping me happy these days either. They promise extra points for applying for their premium card also and I never see them. When I asked them about them they said I have to speak to my bank- I applied through Marriott, they are the ones that promised the points, they are the ones that should give them to me. Other chains are looking better and better.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ollie,

Did you have a Marriott card before applying for the Premier card?  If not, how long has it been since you got the card?

ksinghal Platinum

I agree and second that...  I also feel that Hilton has a lot better earning opportunities for high frequency tarvellers compared to marriott.

I hate the Marriott points and free stay promotions, I stay at hotels 3 months or even 6 months at a strech and each quarter has 90 nights. I do not like the fact that I get capped at 50k bonus points after spening 90 nights vs. a guest who stays 30 nights and also gets 50K bonus points.  I should get rewarded for my longer stay and I do not.  I stayed 307 nights at marriott in 2011 and just 95 nights at a hilton in 2010 and I have more points and better earnings at Hilton.

thinking of switching back to Hilton.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Numerically speaking, I think your 307 vs 95 results seem less than accurate. Besides the MegaBonus' that you should have earned (140,000 pts) and the 50% platinum bonus per dollar spent each stay, the points earned and the value they represent should blow away the Hilton numbers. Just saying.

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

I just wish Marriott had an automated programme of applying points for stays to your account, just like airlines do. BA manage to have miles credited the next day so why cant Marriott apply points. I am constantly having to chase MR and its becoming a full time job checking up whether the points are there, and if not, having to fax or email a copy of the bill which is a real nuisance. Some properties post the points very quickly, some take days and some weeks and some not at all. A very inefficient system that if adapted to automatic points to spend, would cut down on us having to chase them up and for the MR team to get on and help other guests with perhaps more important issues.

PStar,

According to what I've gleaned from other posters, the points lag or chasing your tail is most representative of certain countries and/or properties. I've heard Ireland is bad. Also some of the eastern European countries have had issues. Where have you seen the problem? 

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Well the points seem to be posted ok when staying in the USA and its often my travels within Europe that are the problem, but why should it be attributed to a particular country? Ok, the training of staff who have to post the points in Europe must be at fault, but I still fail to understand why Marriott can not have them automatically posted just like airlines do? Its a real pain having to chase up then fax invoices plus this gives the Marriott rewards team a huge amount of extra work.

PStar,

I agree with you. I was just curious if there was a common thread. In today's technology driven world, there should be smoother ways to get points recorded to your account. Chasing your tail gets old real quick.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...