5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2009 1:40 PM by mitchell RSS

Costa Rica / Which Hotel?

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica, 2 adults, 13 year old and 16 year old.  Can anyone offer info on the four marriott hotels and which might be the best choice for us.  We were leaning towards the Los Suenos Marriott.  We are wondering whether it is easy to get arouund without having a car.  Specifically, is there a town to go to for dinner at night, or do you need to make use of the hotel's restaurants?

Also, as far as sightseeing (volcano,rain forest, coffee plantation, zipline), does one hotel have better access to these activities?

Any info would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Costa Rica / Which Hotel?
    whitlaw Platinum
    Los Suenos has it all.  There is a tourist office on the grounds that can handle everything - zipline, volcanoes, white water, etc.  All of their trips will include transportation.  Taxis are plentiful to make the 5 min. ride to Jaco for dinner.  I wouldn't waste money renting a car. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews
    How did you get from the Airport to the hotel?  Is it $150 per person or car load by taxi?  How much time does it take from the airport to the hotel?  Might it be cheaper to just rent a car?

mitchell Platinum 1 Reviews
    We went to Los Suenos for Spring Break this year and it was one of the best trips we ever took as a family. My daughter is 12 and son 10...they loved the pool and especially the pool bar (chocolate monkeys). Resort was fantastic, nice rooms and great service. We did rent a car and the trip to/from the airport really was not that bad but we like a little adventure...the car paid for itself since we explored every day. Great restaurants within the master planned community down at the marina...we went to Jaco one day (OK) and down to Manuel Antonio (Great)...Villa Caletas for sunset is a must see (excellent). We made reservations on-site for the zip lines and it was fantastic ...what an experience(excellent)! My son and I even played 9 holes of golf...the course was alot of fun and it was not too hot in the afternoon. The staff really does a good job and it is a very comfortable environment. If anyone knows of other resorts that have a pool area like this I would love to know...the pool alone kept my kids occupied for most of the trip.

mggoldy44 Gold 1 Reviews

My family and I are planning a trip to the same resort for Spring Break 2010.  Any helpful traveling tips?  I heard I need to have $26 cash for each member to return to the States.  We are also renting a vehicle for the week with a navigation system.  Some blogs state the roads are bad - did you experience any difficulties driving?  Did you pay for parking at any of the beaches?  Would you recommend the zip-line Company the Resort referred you to?  How much should I expect to spend for the zip-line?  Did your family have a "favorite" restaurant?  Is there a grocery store nearby so we can pack a lunch and hit the highway with snacks?

mitchell Platinum 1 Reviews

Mggoldy44,

If you are going to Los Suenos it is wonderful and if you have children they will love it...the pool is just a great place for the whole family. As for the $26 tax, you can pay that at the front desk when you check out so don't worry...Marriott makes it easy. With regard to parking it really just depends on where you are going...Manuel Antonio was the only place we had to pay (yes, you can haggle a little)...if you do go there take the guided tour since they have telescopes and have a knack for finding the sloths...they will quote you a high price to start but hold out (took me 3 back and forths)...I believe we paid $25/30 pp. I highly recommend Via Caletas for Apps/drinks and the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen...get there early so you can get a table above the amphitheater. In the marina village there are 4 or 5 different restaurants...I do not remember the names but the casual/pub like ones was perfect for the family...the Italian one upstairs was also nice....one of our favorites was outside of Los Suenos, you make a left out of the resort and head down to the public beach...make a left and it is on your left. It didn't seem very safe but turned out just fine....food was excellent. Grocery store: as you leave the resort area make a right and it is 1/4 mile down on your right...you will see it as you drive in...very convenient. The zip line company that the Marriott recommends is very good and competitively priced...I believe it was $75/80 pp. well worth every dollar! Lastly, the Marriott restaurants were all very nice with good food...over priced but very convenient. The best restaurant on site was over at the golf course...we did not find it until the last day...the food was excellent. Have fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...