13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2009 11:18 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

frustration with new rewards policy

chachi Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We fell for the sales pitch to purchase timeshare for sole purpose of accumulating points rather than using the timeshare as GREAT WAY TO GET THAT trip around the world!  Whoa, now that we have accumulated the points for our wonderful trip, it really isn't an option!  I  feel ripped off. ..and pretty stupid to have been so duped!   I have been looking at little trips to use the points, but have not yet put in the dates.  I've gotten the message from travel advisor that using travel packages including air miles may be the best return on your investment yet will necessitate a full week reservation per hotel and then the airline bookings may be impossible to obtain!  Then looking at the blogs, I'm alerted to the possibility of a room charge on top of the points???!! This is extremely upsetting.  I really felt good about Marriott and their trustworthiness but now I feel set up and used!  Is Marriott reacting to the economic times and if we wait this out a year or two they will regroup to keep the sales promises they made?   To pay more in maintenance fees (on top of purchase price) to get reward points that you can't exchange for similar accommodations is outrageous!  If you've had good luck with timeshare resale, let me know what company or vehicle you used.  I'm ready to sell at least this part of the portfolio!  Thanks!

• Re: frustration with new rewards policy
    patrickg Platinum
    Sorry to hear about your issues......but, read the terms on your contract carefully....you may have be able to find a loophole on how points are treated.  It's worth a review by your lawyer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

Don't fall for the advertisements to selll you timeshare.  They are all a sham.  You can try to list your timeshare on myresortnetwork.com.  They only charge $15 to list.  You will never get your money back, particularly in this economy. 

You may want to just map out a trip yourself to travel to international destinations using points for each hotel stay.  However with the new point schedule, this will take a lot of points.  Also, the "no blackout policy" is not true.  I found two destinationa last week that were blocked out. I called platinum rewards line and they just could not even help. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

williammcc Platinum 1 Reviews

There is a huge disconnect going on here . . . the bean counters are winning, looking at how they can penalize the best customers not understanding the law of unintended consequences . . . Most of us have status with other chains (I'm Diamond w/Hilton, Gold w/Starwood, etc.) and can switch hotels at will . . .

However, I have to give credit where credit is due - we just redeemed 13 nights of points for the JW Guanacaste in Costa Rica - (we made two posts on TripAdvisor.com if you want details) - It totally restored my faith in Marriott's People (not their top management that makes these decisions - just the local folks that do the work to make our stays pleasant or unpleasant!)

When I think of how well we were treated, and how everyone at the JW Guanacaste cared about us, and look at the policies coming from Marriott HQ, it makes you wonder if they are really from the same company.

The unfortunate aspect is that two years from now the Marriott Honchos will wonder why are they spending more money on advertising and the loyal customers aren't responding like they used to . . . They'll explain it away to their shareholders that it's "the economy" . . . We all know it's because we vote with our dollars and our nights - and we're frustrated of being taken for granted . . .

My suggestion would be to have the team from the JW Guanacaste review all Marriott policies before they put them into place - it would make for superb long term loyalty of customers . . . the economy will turn back up . . . and some frequent travelers will not return to Marriott . . . The saddest thing is the impact these policy decisions have on the folks that work at the properties . . . Let's hope Marriott management sobers up and listens to both the beancounters and the marketing types . . . There has to be balance . . .

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    That sounds great for you, but when I'm on the road all year the last thing I want to do is spend my points on a 7 day stay in a Category 3 property. Maybe I'm alone here, but I want to check into the nicest, most comfortable property and be treated like a human.

But then again, maybe it's just me.

luv2travl Platinum
    Thank you to the person who did the analysis of the point structure based on earning and redeeming points at various level properties.   I had a feeling that some of the increases in the new point structure would be offset by the bonus on base points earned as a Platinum Elite member going from 30% to 50%.  But I had not yet had the time to calculate the difference.  I am wondering though if you put the same information into stays at levels 6 or 7 hotels with redemption at level 6 or 7 hotels  if you would still find that it benefits you.  Just a thought.......

ddctac Silver
    I'm only a silver and am likely to always be one. I find it hard to swallow that I get 110,000 points for my cat 6 week (2 bedroom sleeps 8 )and it now takes 180,000 points for a cat 6 hotel  room that does'nt sleep8.  It seems the only points worth getting are from credit card and referral's. I'll never turn my week in for points. I wonder if that is what they want...... 

meadowlark Platinum

Is there anyone we can contact that can help us with loyalty/ ownership credit towards rewards levels? Shouldn't ownership in a Marriott property be counted towards a rewards level whether we physically stayed in it or not. Trading points for our week gets no credit at either end? Does anyone know if we get credit for nights that we trade into the Interval program? We get charged a cleaning fee for whoever stays in our week. Even when we rent out through Marriotts rental program only about 40% of what they receive in rents we actually get but again no credit towards nights for elite status? Haven't we  prepaid for our weeks and so why don't they all count?

• 50% Bonus is Great, Marriott
    tjcnewyork Platinum

After reading the 636 replies posted to the "Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes Forum!" there were far too many Marriott Insiders than expected who simply over-reacted. "Sticker Shock" over-simplifies the outrage expressed.

In one brilliant disappearing act, the collective angst of one thousandth of one percent of Marriott Rewards member views are gone.  The number wasn't as surprising as the depth of the exposed wound.  

There are several Insiders who share the frustrations expressed in "frustration with new rewards policy", but exclude me.  I'm in the camp of Insiders that purchased timeshare because vacation ownership has value beyond points.  Marriott sales uses rewards points to create incentive and provide instant gratification.  I can use points a lot of different ways.  I can buy $1000 luggage with hundreds of thousands of points, and vacation at Motel 6 for $500.  Or, I can set aside $1000 for the maintenance fee that can guarantees a memorable 7-night family vacation in a world-class vacation resort with Marriott Vacation Club. Let's get real.  As an added benefit, since Marriott timeshare is deeded property, I can will it to my spouse and children.  For those who don't know this, by terms of contract, Marriott Rewards points are transferrable to the owner's legal spouse.  On-point, pardon the pun, Marriott Rewards are ~not~ useless as the other camp claims.

Insiders are entitled to their expectations and perceptions, but mine are very clear:  Legendary service and exceptional quality has a price tag whether it comes in the form of the purchase price and the annual maintenance fees or the points that need to be redeemed.  

Lesson learned.  From Marriott Vacation Club to Towneplace Suites, the new Marriott price stickers require sharper thinking and clearer presentation ~prior~ to announcement.

Thank you, Marriott, the 50% Bonus for Platinum Elite is Great. And, thank you to the Insider who did the 50/30 bonus analysis.  Very convincing.  However late, that ~is~ the platform for Marriott marketing strategy to perfect.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Great analysis.  But there is one factor that you missed: Residence Inns give you half the normal points, even for long stays, of the other Marriott Brands.  But in some states like CA, staying 30 days or longer allows them to remove the Transient Occupancy Tax from the room.

Great analysis.  But there is one factor that you missed: Residence Inns give you half the normal points, even for long stays, of the other Marriott Brands.

Great analysis.  But there is one factor that you missed: Residence Inns give you half the normal points, even for ling stays, of the other Marriott Brands.

• Nights at Marriott Vacation Club Earn Credit Too!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Good questions, Meadowlark (Re: frustration with new rewards policy). With 64 MVCI resorts worldwide, millions of weeks sold, owners top 400,000 many of whom own multiple weeks.  At an average maintenance fee of $1000 per owner per week, that's significant revenue.

With scant information online at Marriott Rewards.com and  VacationClub.com, I contacted Marriott Owner Services [1-800-468-4089] to get answers. In response to owner feedback and suggestions, I am absolutely delighted to advise that MVCI and Marriott Rewards implemented the following changes as of June 30, 2008:

• Marriott Vacation Club owners who occupy a villa at their home resort and present ID and a Marriott Rewards # at check-in will receive credit for the nights stayed.
    • Marriott Vacation Club owners who occupy a Marriott villa exchanged through Interval International and present ID and a Marriott Rewards # at check-in will receive credit for the nights stayed. 

Interestingly, Marriott Owner Services was unable to provide any documentation showing that this change was communicated to owners. But, Marriott Rewards Activity on my account confirms that credit for the nights stayed was given.

• Timeshare Not A Sham!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott Vacation Club 

Nadine

With Marriott Vacation Club ownership topping 390,000 and the trading for points being the preferred option 70% of the time, timeshare is hardly a "sham."   With Marriott Rewards Points being so popular among Marriott owners, the last thing an owner should do is resell their timeshare privately or through a 3rd party. Owners who go that route should be very cautious, because Marriott will not give incentive points to purchase or provide the option to exchange for points to the new owner unless Marriott Resales handles the transaction. 

Marriott Rewards Points do not appreciate in value, but Marriott timeshare property most certainly does.  As the owner of multiple weeks of Marriott timeshare, I keep track of the resale value of my units.  Marriott Vacation Clubs are hot and in demand.  Why would Marriott go to extensive effort to bring about a tighter integration with their reservations system at Marriott.com? If I were to give Marriott my weeks to sell today, they would not stay on the market for long - even in this economy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...