17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2016 7:53 PM by jonsummers RSS

Puerto Vallarta Marriott

mnelite Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Just got back from a weeks vacation with the family at the Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Marriott.  The faciltities grounds were exceptional, but the rooms and service were weak. 

We arrived at 4pm and our room wasn't ready.  They put us in an alternative room so we didn't have to wait and then agreed to move us when it was ready.  Instead they gave our room away and we stayed in the alternative room farther from the beach for the first two nights.  We started in the king bed "beach view room".  It was severely claustrophobic.  It was so uncomfortable that we visited two nearby hotels to tour their rooms.  After two days of complaining (asked for the Mgr, staff called him, he asked them to handle it, they didn't) they moved us to a much better ocean view room.  We were using hard deserved Rewards points and it felt like our complaints were being dismissed because we weren't rack room rate customers. 

After hundreds of quality Marriott stays where we felt like true "Elites" with great service, but not this time.  This one was clearly inferior due to the service experience.   

On a positive note:  the PVR Marriott's pool, hot tub, activities, beach, Kids Club and restaurants were great! We expected five star service like we normally get at a Marriott Resort, but we only received five star amenities. 

Try the fish tacos at Las Casita or the chicken enchiladas at Champions. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Puerto Vallarta Marriott
    jonsummers Gold

Have you stayed here since>?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bacon14 Platinum

jonsummers, I've been reading through some posts on this hotel as I currently have an upcoming reservation but am experiencing issues with the rate booked.  I've seen a lot of posts from tryt53, he can probably provide you lots of details!

jonsummers Gold

What kind of issues have you had with reservations and rates?

bacon14 Platinum

When I booked, a selected a package that listed several items that were to be included.  I also called and verified this with customer service prior to booking flights.  I recently reached out to the hotel to get some details on the included items such as if they were offered every day or if I needed to schedule my other activities around set date/times.  The hotel responded that my rate only included my room and nothing else.  Customer service again confirmed everything was included and emailed the hotel to see why they couldn't see it.  I then got another email from the hotel stating that only my room was included and absolutely nothing else.

If you book just a straight room, I doubt you'll have any issue.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Also, I just checked and right now the rate I pull up for the Oct 24 timeframe is $119 per night with a $50 resort credit every day. Excellent rate. I also booked it with my Prestige Card and got a 4th free night (but still get the $50 resort credit for that day). Even better

jonsummers Gold

Where do you get the prestige card?

Hi jonsummers, The Prestige Card is a Citibank Card. I can get you a link if you don't see it online. You can get 40,000 bonus miles for sign up now, and that will get you close to a business award ticket on Alaska to Europe. Nice use of those miles. But what I love is that it gives you the 4th night reimbursed, at any hotel in the world. You just need to book through their concierge and pay for it with that card. Have used that a several times this year. You still get your reward upgrades and points and stay credit with Marriott, not like booking through other 3rd parties. Used in Dubai and got $240 back. Many other perks and their Priority Pass for Airport Lounges is better than American Express Platinum's Priority Pass, in that you don't have to pay for up to 2 guests.

jonsummers Gold

I had the same issues with the JW marriott in Cancun.  Seems that the reservation system is not connected well with hotels and sounds like another IT issue.  I printed all material as I am tired of having issues like these and they are common! 

Hi bacon14,

We am going for our 8th trip on October 24 - Nov 1. First, was a specific rate code or promo that you saw? First, as a Platinum member, you will always get upgraded if rooms are available. We have always been upgraded since our first stay. Can you send me a private message with your dates of your stay, and any codes you know of? I've rebooked twice before our stay, because better deals have popped up for our stay dates. I will put you in touch with Simon (the Chief Concierge) when he gets back from his trip to England.

jonsummers Gold

I am going there this week is there another concierge to speak to? tryt53

Hi Jon,

Will be happy to help. I just sent you a direct message with my phone numbers

Regards,

Tim

jonsummers Gold

tryt53  Thanks for the amazing tips!  Thank you!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I just checked the rates... what an incredible deal.  I would pull the trigger, but I don't think I'd have a job to come back to if I did.  It would make 4 trips abroad this year for me, and all for play.   And the airfare on AS is really cheap!  And it would launch me over the top to earning MVP Gold with AS!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Job, what job do you need to return to pluto77, just go ahead and retire early!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I keep looking at the numbers on the spreadsheet, IAHFLYR, and no matter how hard I stare at them, they just won't change, and at this point, I am not interested in doing anything more to make them change.   I think PVR will still be there next year.   I hope so, since that is where the next TIPPLE will hopefully be.

I'd support the next TIPPLE in PVR or even better Scrub Island or SJD!!!

The three times I've stayed at the resort over the last two years everything went great.  Had a beautiful room with great views of Bandaras Bay and the pool.  No feeling of being closed in at all and the staff has always been very helpful from the Bellmen to the Front Desk to the servers at the pool and restaurants....then of course you have Simon.  Simon is special and takes great pride in providing his Guests with most everything you could want. 

We just returned from PVR last Saturday and though we did not stay at the resort (almost free stay at the golf course) we did walk through it searching for Simon only to learn of his holiday.  The grounds were spotless and the Associates very friendly.  We did enjoy a drink at the lobby bar and as always Arturo our Bartender was smiling wide and makes a great "Rita"!!  

The only issue I have with the entire resort is if you want to get in the water it could be very brown as the river coming down from the mountains runs into the Bay just north of the resort so if it has been raining often in the mountains as it did last week there will be days of it being brown.  Not to worry as the pool, spa and relaxation will be wonderful. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...