26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 3:02 AM by eb5147 RSS

Upgrades

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone had a positive Marriott experience since the new program went into effect in mid-January?  I was wondering since I've had only trip and that resulted in a no-ask upgrade to a suite.  Seems that the upgrades are on a hotel-by-hotel basis, apparently.

Would love to hear from any other Platinum Premiers or Emeritus who've had a positive experience.

• Re: Upgrades
    gshock Platinum
    Just returned from a Renaissance property in Chicago. I asked for a suite and they upgraded me. You are right It is on a hotel by hotel basis. While previously mostof the Marriott properties were consistent in their policies, I now find inconsistency.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

I prefer to forget the negative experiences related to upgrades since the roll-out 1/15.  Each was reported to customer.care@marriott.com and dealt with to my satisfaction.

During my recent SunCoast travels, all requests for complimentary upgrade were honored.  This was due to attention and perserverance on my part in following up because this was the first time to visit and stay at these properties.  It seemed wiser to be proactive, rather than throw the dice.

As stated recently elsewhere, being proactive means calling the hotel directly, engaging the front desk and following up - PRIOR TO ARRIVAL.  I find that there is a huge difference in the outcome when I frame my upgrade request in the context of my expectations as a loyal and frequent guest.  This approach clearly conveys to the front desk associate that fulfilling my expectations requires their active involvement.  By nature, people do want to do their jobs and want to exceed.  IMHO, this makes them aware and fully accountable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Gshock:  I agree that there is no consistency in upgrading.  Other programs guarantee upgrades when available, incliuding Starwood and IHC and Hyatt--for their top tier loyal customers. 

I appreciate Marriott needing to keep the average room rate higher, but what would be wrong with confirmed upgrades say 24 hours in advance?  At that point the hotels would know with almost total certainty if they were going to sell a suite or a better room at the RACK rate, and if not could easily give it as a goodwill upgrade.

Does anyone remember the confirmed upgrades (with no miles deducted) on the airlines for 1K fliers--I do. Gone forever, like pillows sadly, but the hotels have and can make accomodations (no pun intended) for their most loyal guests---hope that they will 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"When you check in, we’ll upgrade you to our best-available guest room at no additional charge."

Has this part of the Marriott guarantee for Platinum (and Gold apparently) been changed?  

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Usually when i travel alone for business, I never ask for an upgrade, Otherwise I do ask, and have a high percentage of acceptance on the upgrades.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Although this is a very old thread, during my 2 stays in 2012, I have not been given an upgrade even after asking.

FFI & Suites in Baltimore did not even recognize me as being Lifetime Plat or even Plat... after 2 check-ins (I had 2 reservations for the same weekend... 1 for free night cert and the other for paid nights).

Ren Asheville check-in person didn't even respond to me when I asked if there were any upgrades available.

As you can tell from my other recent posts, I'm really fed up.  Going to use up my points and move on to another hotel chain.

Its evident by your user name!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I would think the problem is probably just the hotel or that particular staff member. Most of the Marriott hotels I went to (and a majority are FFI & Suites) don't give me any problems. There were multiple times when I asked if I can get an upgrade and they said that the room was already upgraded early in the morning when they check the guest list.

It's a problem with the staff if they don't recognize you as a Lifetime Platinum member. I'm just starting off but have reached Platinum shortly and all the hotels I went to mentioned my status during check-in. Upgrades are never guaranteed and I witnessed this personally. There was a FFI that I have been staying at for about a year and they have upgraded me basically every time ever since I hit Platinum status except for one occasion when they were all booked. I didn't need the room upgrade (nice to have) so I didn't care for it too much.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Kevin,

Obviously, the problem is more widespread than a particular hotel or a particular staff member.

I checked into the same hotel twice within 3 nights with 2 different staff members.  Neither recognized my status nor offered me an upgrade.... even after requesting such.  And, even after my mentioning that I am a Lifetime Plat.

And, apparently, that hotel does not pre-assign rooms as when I initally checked in, the desk clerk was typing away on her computer and assigned me to a 2nd floor room.  She didn't pull out a room packet from a pre-assigned folder.  My profile clearly states that I want a high floor with a refrigerator.  When I said that the 2nd floor room was not acceptable, she immediately found me a room on the top floor... after going into the room I found it had no refrig.  After a phone call, I was told there were no refrigs available.  So much for looking at a MR member's profile!!!

And in the second location, the Ren in Asheville, while I was recognized as a Plat (not as a Lifetime Plat), I was not even responded to when I asked if an upgrade was available.  I find that truly rude.  And, once again, no refrigerator in my room and in this case, a mid-floor room... not a high floor room.  And the Welcome gift there was an embarrassment.  This was a paid stay, not points.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I rarely run into situations like that, especially the part where the staff is rude or ignoring a loyal member of any status. One thing though. I'm not sure if they can see if you are a Lifetime member on the frontdesk. I read some posts here and it looks like you have to call them up and the representatives there can tell if you are a lifetime member or not. But either way, that doesn't excuse how the frontdesk staff treat their guests. I'm still new and have stayed under 10 different Marriott chains and as I recall, only one gave me some problems. Like you said, staff didn't respond when I asked her a question. I was a Gold member back then and this was using points but again, this doesn't excuse their behavior and how they treat any guest.

For the high floor and refrigerator, I don't remember those two criteria being guaranteed. I think they will try their best to accommodate to those requests but it's usually not a problem. The one I went to (FFI & Suites) didn't use any folder. They just check their system and confirmed that my room was already upgraded whenever I check-in. I see them pulling out a new room key and swiping it through the barcode device during check-in.

No brand is 100% perfect. Sometimes it's a hit and miss. If I run into multiple issues from the same property, I rarely will go back unless I have no other choice. This is why I have membership in a few other hotels (Hilton, Starwood) as backup in case I don't like the Marriott nearby.

As I've mentioned before. be thankful for what this program does offer!  When it's gone, everyone will be complaining of a different sort!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree.  I don't ask for an upgrade unless I am at a hotel where it would really matter.  What I have found is that FFIs don't seem to know what platinum is, at least at the ones that I have stayed at.  In one case, I arrived late, assuming that my room was preassigned and it was not, I was given a handicap unit on the bottom floor. I, too, always request a high floor. I complained and was told that I was the last to arrive and that was all that was left.  I had them call around and there was nothing in the area.  I was stuck.  I called PCS and was told that FFI and CY don't have to preassign our rooms.  I have had other bad experiences at FFIs and CYs on room assignment.  I have been given bad rooms and would have been happy to get a room in a good location much less an upgrade.  As far as the handicap units, I guess no one wants them unless you need them and Marriott considers them a regular room.  Another chain, discounts them to get people to be willing to take them.  Due to this, I usually stay at Marriotts, if possible.

dejamo Platinum

Here we are ........2 years into the "new program" as mentioned by SS

Same ol.....same ol...............

Not getting what is explicitly guaranteed,

"MRI associates" not knowing a Platinum,  Platinum Premier, or Lifetime Platinum from a charcoal briquet,

Nothing ever changes

After far too many years of degradation of services,   same ol lip service,  many of us have grown tired of waiting around for things to change and have went to "greener grasses".....(and they are not hard to find).

As Platinum members...why do you have to ask for upgrades when they are available ?

Why do you settle for inferior service and accept that they do not have the room you were guaranteed for on the reservation ?

If you do not try to resolve the issue onsite,  place a call to MR at the time of the incident if not resolved to your satisfaction and guarantee..you have nothing to complain about on these pages.

I just got fed up with the same issues happening over and over again at various properties......clueless staff,  reduction is benefits, nonrecognition in the program and 2 years of lip service,  that I refuse to spend any more $$ at Marriotts,(I stopped all of my 22 associates from staying there as well - as I book all of our travel).   There are countless other longtime Platinum Premiers who have left the program as well..............and there will be many more until Marriott finally quits saying "it will get better", and actually does something about their staff and their benefits.

There is too much competition for our hard earned $$ out there,  and number of other programs that appear to want our business more.

It's as obvious as Romney saying something stupid that nothing is going to change here anytime soon.

Stop drinking the koolaid and explore your other options.

Keep the cards and letters coming...

So, it is not just me!

We should be able to count on having a decent room waiting even if we arrive late.  I commented to the front desk that should not a decent room have been saved for me and was told that people who got there earlier would not have liked the room that I was stuck with, even though I would be that most have no status. It was clear that they had no training as to how to treat a patinum person.  The bad part was that PCS did nothing either but explain that they were not required to pre-assign a decent room for me.

That's a shame.  It should have been handled differently!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

That's definitely not a good move on their end. I'm sure it varies (maybe they should enforce this for all the Marriott properties?), but the one I have been going to regularly for my business stays have already upgraded my room in the morning way before I arrive in the afternoon/evening for check-in.

Before this, I assumed that all Marriott properties pre-assigned rooms for us.  Many of do arrive late.

erc Platinum

Dejamo, you rascal, you, I thought I wrote your glowing forum obit months ago ! Great to have you still with us, your insights alway motivate me to get the best deal possible. You better stop rooting for those Cubs though, or you'll end up like Billy Joel's Angry Young Man.

PS - as long as we stay away from Jim Jones' Kool Aid, we're ok. Kenny Kesey's (originally legal) I'm sure made Jerry Garcia think he had been 'upgraded'.  Dejamo, as Curtis Mayfield sings, keep on keepin' on.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Been lucky and almost every stay this year I have been upgraded.  What surprises me is I think it is mostly done on the computer, it seems the Front Desk people have no idea what a Platinum Member or MI is? Maybe it is just me, I don't know why they never say, "Thank-you for being a loyal Marriott customer?"

At the FFI, I was told that no rooms are preassigned.  They assign them when people arrive and so the last one, me, gets the room that no one wants.  This is a question for Marriott, which properties are required to pre-assign rooms?  PCS told me that FFIs and CYs are not required to do so.

It's hit or miss with me---some know to say it others don't!  Maybe the ones that don't are new employees?  I don't know, just a hunch!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

The one I go to regularly have always say that they have my Platinum membership on file and thanked me for being a loyal member. I agree that not all of them say this, but the few I went to for my vacation stays have also mentioned the status and room upgrade. So far the FFI I go to (business & leisure) seem to have the room upgrades pre-assigned prior to arrival.

From reading the comments, it appears that different hotels treat us differently.  From what I was told be PCS, FFIs and CYs are not required to pre-assign rooms.  If that is true, it would be up to management as to if they do.  As far as recognizing our status, I think they are supposed to do this at all the hotels but many don't.  So if you read, some of us have been treated very well and others not so.  I would say that I have been treated very welll most of the time but I have had some really bad experiences which a platinum person should not have.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

And probably some of those bad experiences were so bad that nobody should have had them.  Right? 

And thank you for all of your kindnesses here. 

I travel frequently, and every time I check-in they already have a room pre-assigned to me.  I always ask what the room number is, as like others who have chimed in here, I prefer a room on a high floor.  If the room is on a low floor I have them change it.

dejamo Platinum

After reading the comments,  my point is validated.................

erc........................I browse through the "Insider"  to see if anything has changed that would make us want to come back, or spend another dollar at a Marriott.....................so far  the rhetoric is the same and nothing has changed.

I do love a good fight and probably will continue to blab and vent as long as I have access.............once the "tribe speaks, and votes me off the island",  another outspoken critic will take my place and so forth...........

Once something changes besides the Insiders  website, it might mean something.  But for us oldtimers who have consistantly tried for years,  we see little meaningful progress with anything of substantiation for the road warriors...........

"Hit or Miss" is the mantra of old and new apparently................

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...