1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 26, 2009 2:02 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

New England in the fall or Hawaii or Grand Canyon?

sherrill Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I enjoy going places we have not traveled to and are interested in the above choices as possibilities for fall 2009 (or perhaps late summer). These are places in the US we have not been. I have always wanted to visit NE during the beautiful seasonal leaves changing of fall. We are not sure of exactly the best times to see the area and have looked at possible timeshares, but there does not seem to be much availabliity and most seem limited

• New England Anytime of Year
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I live in the New York metro area and explore New England every chance we get. We particularly enjoy drives along 1 or 1A that follow the coast visiting historic towns and dining venues that overlook the water.  From eastern Connecticut to Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine, we'll pick a Marriott as our home base and plan day trips from there.

We stayed in western Connecticut's Fairfield County at the Trumbull Marriott and several Marriott's along the Connecticut River Valley including Marriott Hartford Rocky Hill.  In eastern Connecticut, we stayed at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa in Groton every year since it opened and enjoy the deluxe suite and spa. The Essex Steam Train, Mohegan Sun, Mystic Seaport, Watch Hill, RI and Newport, RI are the nearby attractions along scenic Rt 1 and Rt 1A.  

Heading east along I95, there are several Marriott brands located in Coventry, Rhode Island.  We prefer the Fairfield Inn & Suites Coventry because of the convenient I95 location, friently staff and Executive Suite.  Narraganset, Point Judith, Jamestown and historic Newport are a half hour away.  There are timeshares in Newport that are managed by Wyndam and smaller independent companies.  We looked at all of them.  While there are Marriott's in Newport, availability is always limited since we always travel during peak times and long weekends.  The Providence Marriott is convenient to break-up the drive.  

In Massachusetts, Marriott has one timeshare centrally located in Boston at the historic Custom House adjacent to the bustling Fanueil Hall & Quincy Market.  With Studio and 1 Bedroom villas that can sleep up to 4 comfortably, we chose the Boston Marriott Custom House for an anniversary weekend getaway.  We've also stayed at the Marriott Copley Place, Residence Inn Tudor Wharf, Fairfield Inn Amesbury and Towneplace Suites Danvers.  North of Boston there are so many charming places to visit.  We loved Marblehead and Gloucester on Cape Ann and can't wait to revisit historic Newburyport.

The gem of New England is hidden on the New Hampshire coast at Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea in New Castle. When the hotel was booked we stayed at the charming Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast.  We love historic Portsmouth, the popular Hampton Beach and  Kittery, MA just across the New Hampshire border. 

In Maine we stayed at the Portland Marriott Sable Oaks and planned day trips to Bar Harbor, Old Orchard Beach, Ogunquit and York Beach.

New England is so charming, rich in history and worth exploring anytime of year. All of the Marriott's mentioned we have stayed at least two nights and more than once.  In 2009 we plan to focus on Vermont particularly along the NY border and Lake Champlain.  If you have visited the area, tips on where to stay, attractions to consider and recommendations on where to dine are welcome and appreciated.          

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...