7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2014 2:19 PM by profchiara RSS

Devaluation of Rewards and Timeshare Value

billthebuilder Silver
Currently Being Moderated

As I read the postings, I see that I am not the only one who is very disappoint with the recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards.  I had almost 900,000 rewards to be use for a trip to India, Thailand & China.  I feel as though I have been robbed.  I will use our Marriott Reward to stay in Marriott hotels, but I will never again exchange one of our 3 TS units for points.  It is not logical.

Since Nov08 I have been using the Starwood Preferred Guest  AmExp card and the points build up much more rapidly than with the Signature Premier Marriot Visa.  We gain one or two nights per month (that is $2,000 to $11,000) simply by using their card.  It takes $15,000 to $25,000 to have a single night with Marriott. 

We still enjoy the TS units at Barony Beach,  but will not buy the 4th unit as planned and we will not make recommendations to our friends to buy their.  Our units are worth far less in exchange that the were.  I wonder if MVCI will lower its prices?

• Re: Devaluation of Rewards and Timeshare Value
    hawaiiowner Platinum

Agree totally.

Suggestions:  1) We need a separate travel package reward schedule for Marriott timeshare owners who want to use their MR points to stay at a Marriott timeshare, perhaps equal to a category 6 or 7 hotel package.  It should be open only to timeshare owners and include air miles.

2)  Marriott timeshare owners should be given a break in raching Elite statuses under the MR program.  This could be accomplished in one of 3 ways: (a) Gold Elite for as long as you own a timeshare, orf maybe multiple timkeshares.  (b) Timeshare owner would be given status one level above what they would otherwise earn.  OR (c) Timeshare owners (not others) would be given credit for nights spent using MR points at hotels, like Hilton does for everybody.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

melhrman Platinum
    Great idea!   I hope Marriott listens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rmunson1 Silver
    To say that I am disappointed with Marriott's new reward structure would be putting it mildly.  I agree with the comments made.  I bought my first Marriott timeshare in 1991 and bought 3 more since then.  But, when the new point structure came out, owning Marriott timeshares 'for points' no longer made sense.  I have sold 2 of my 4 and considering selling the other two.  Sellers beware - Marriott has a 40% commission!!!  But, it was worth it to get them sold and I'll be moving along.  Sorry, but it was nice while it lasted.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Within the past few days (even though I also only stay at their hotels about once a year and am just a Gold member, I got the following email from Hyatt:

"On January 22, 2015, we will implement changes to the Hyatt Gold Passport® Award Chart. This shift will include 48 hotels moving to a lower category and 22 hotels moving to a higher category. A complete list of the changes that will take place can be found here:"

2015 Award Chart Updates

Am i wrong in thinking this bucks the trend?

rmunson1 Silver 3 Reviews

I may have some good news for you. Due to my many constant complaints to anyone who would listen, I uncovered the 'fact' that there is a special travel package reward structure for timeshare owners only.  It is NO WHERE near as good as the prior structure, but it is better than the new one available to the general public.  I was told 'it can't be on the web because it isn't for everyone' but it seems, when you login, they should be able to know that you are a timeshare owner and, thus, present you with this information.  I don't know how you are supposed to know unless you complain loudly enough (which I did).  The option, available only for time share owners (I don't know the reward code and haven't done it, but been assured by at least 3 different individuals that it does exist) is to get your miles (50K, 70K, 100K, 120K) in conjunction with a 5 night package.  So, if you biggest interest is in lots of miles, and if you can make do with a 5 night stay instead of a 7 night stay, you don't have to burn as many Marriott points (5 nights instead of 7) to obtain your airline miles.  Hope this helps. 

Still, for me, the point devaluation has caused me to sell 2 of my 4 timeshares and I may be selling the other 2 soon.  It is looking like a bear market. 

rmunson1 Silver 3 Reviews
    I would like to know (much) more about your assertions that the Amex SPG card is far superior to the Chase card.  I, too, am extremely unhappy with Marriott's new point structure.  But, with the Marriott card, you get double points for all restaurants, car rentals and airline expeditures (and 5 points, if you happen to spend any $ at Marriott).  Your post says that points accumulate faster with the Amex SPG card and I (currently) just don't get it.  I happen to have just experienced a Westin/Starwood timeshare presentation and they, too, were telling me about the wonderful card and how I 'have to' get it.  But, from what I read online, the points accumulate 1 at a time for each dollar spent.  Perhaps it is because of the award structure of SPG - no hotels at category 8 and more that are decent that are category 4/5 with points at 10K, 12K-16K, much less than a Marriott category 5 and in many cases, nicer than a Marriott category 5.  If this is what you mean, I get it.  If there is something else I am missing, please clarify.  I have been doing a fair amount of research since I went to the timeshare pitch, but haven't convinced myself (yet) to get the Amex SPG card.

tjcnewyork Platinum

I own multiple weeks with Marriott. With more than 50 MVCI resorts and stilll growing, it is far more practical to exchange across the system rather than trade for points.  Marriott Vacation Club works for my family. We especially appreciate the consistency and quality across the brand. With rack rates at hotels for a standard room crossing $200 off-peak and $300+ peak per night, a villa for one week at the beach or a popular destination is an incredible value, are you kidding?

Other timeshare providers in the markets we like, don't even compare.  In the worst case, we know of owners who are stuck with villas that have not been refurbished and are poorly maintained.  They report through-the-roof maintenance fees plus assessments and are extremely unhappy.

Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards are different entities and different 'products.'   Vacation ownership is deeded ownership where the value of a week's vacation persists over time and ownership can be transferred.  As much as I love redeeming points, it's a myth to think that points have that same value or should have as vacation ownership.  

Early on I conveyed to Marriott, the attractiveness of exchanging to a resort where there is a full-service Marriott on property.  This provides the ability to enjoy the comforts of home in a villa while having the amenities of a full service hotel and earn points by billing services like spa, golf and dining to the villa.  Among the many examples are Imperial, Royal and Sabal Palms at the Orlando World Center, Desert Springs, Kauai Beach, Ko Olina and the newest, Grand Lakes Reserve.

Points are not inflation proof and Marriott never made that claim, so it's a Best Practice to spend points as they are earned.  As recently as last week, Owner Services advised that they are being cross-trained with Reservations to provide owners with seamless, one-stop service.   More changes are in the works.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...