16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 1:05 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Time to boycott Marriott- I'm Done

huskers Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Forget your concerns over point devaluations.  The bigger issue is you cannot book a room regardless of point redemption requirements. 

I for one am taking my 125+ nights of business elsewhere.  I started this week by staying in a Westin.  I encourage each and everyone of you to do the same.  Marriott will only listen if we stop waiting for their response and simply pick other hotel brands.

• Re: Time to boycott Marriott- I'm Done
    20yearsplatinu Platinum
    You are so right!! After 20 years as a Platinum and Lifetime Platinum achievement, I am also done and taking my entire company with me.  How has Westin been for you?  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

2oyearsplatinum

Strategically, let's hope that JW is listening, that's a ~huge~ wake up call.  Marriot recognizes the power of word-of-mouth, but underestimates the effectiveness that corporate edict will have on shifting share of wallet *.

Your point is extremely well taken.  A corporate edict to switch preferred lodging brand takes the individual impact that the new rewards structure has to a whole new level.  The decision cascades to corporate events and meetings to extended stays for leisure as well as decision on vacation ownership.  

With a whopping 88% of the respondents to the question, "Have you extended a business trip for leisure?" answering "Yes," the question is, what % of those respondents are in an executive position like yourself to enact an edict.          

Given the importance of customer loyalty to Marriott, I would not want to be the messenger to deliver that number.  Bravo.

* How Has Marriott Rewards Share of Wallet Changed?

http://media.compete.com/site_media/upl/img/RC-HotelRewards2.gif

See Driving Loyalty with Hotel Rewards Sites

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

As some of you know, I've expierenced the same frustrations and have been boycotting Marriott this year.  Earlier this week, I received the below email from Marriott:

As a Platinum Elite member of the Marriott Rewards program, we value your business as well as your opinion. We've noticed you've not stayed with us in recent months as often as you had in the past. If there is anything we can do to better meet your needs or improve the program for you, or if there is a reason you're staying with us less than you had in the past please reply to this email to let us know. If you prefer to call instead feel free to do so at your convenience by dialing 1-800-442-9929. We hope to hear from you soon.

As you can well imagine, I have replied expessing our clear disappointment with the point restructuring, concierge lounge appointments/availability, and 'no blackout dates' policy/room availability constraints.

Looking forward to the response that I receive and will post it here.

-Joan

tjcnewyork Platinum

NewHiltonMembr

It's very encouraging to hear that Marriott reached out to you.  Thanks for letting us know.

Here's the response to my reply.  Happy to say they are going to credit back 30,000 points for my stay at the Grand Flora!  I think that is very kind.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to our email .

I would like to first apologized for your disappointment with the new program changes and was glad to hear that you did get your stayed booked at the Grand Flora in October.  Even though you think we did not include information about non participating locations for the " No Blackout Dates " all the information was listed on  website maybe not in bold but it was there.   The No Blackout dates policy is based on standard rooms availability  for redemption at the hotels on a limited number of days.

For your reservation at the Grand Flora for October. You will be using 160,000 points under the new schedule.  What i can do is give you back the difference of the points compared from old reward  schedule to the new reward schedule which is 30,000 points because of the disappointment of all the changes but for future stays you would have to pay the points under the new schedule.

Again I apologized for the inconvience of the concierge lounge not being opened during your stay and reduction of benefits being offered . I  am forwarding your comments on to our customer service department for hotels  so they can note your comments .

mrussell Silver 3 Reviews
    I wish they would reach out to me.  I just made six reservations for six stays a few weeks ago based on a promotion to earn 2 free stays.  Next thing I know, they retracted the promotion.  It was a mistake. My mistake was acting in good faith based on the offer.

Here's the response to my reply.  Happy to say they are going to credit back 30,000 points for my stay at the Grand Flora!  I think that is very kind.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to our email .

I would like to first apologized for your disappointment with the new program changes and was glad to hear that you did get your stayed booked at the Grand Flora in October.  Even though you think we did not include information about non participating locations for the " No Blackout Dates " all the information was listed on  website maybe not in bold but it was there.   The No Blackout dates policy is based on standard rooms availability  for redemption at the hotels on a limited number of days.

For your reservation at the Grand Flora for October. You will be using 160,000 points under the new schedule.  What i can do is give you back the difference of the points compared from old reward  schedule to the new reward schedule which is 30,000 points because of the disappointment of all the changes but for future stays you would have to pay the points under the new schedule.

Again I apologized for the inconvience of the concierge lounge not being opened during your stay and reduction of benefits being offered . I  am forwarding your comments on to our customer service department for hotels  so they can note your comments .

tjcnewyork Platinum

NewHiltonmember - Excellent!  

tjcnewyork Platinum

mrussell

Agreed.  It's likely that NewHiltonmembr's experience is the exception rather than the rule.  Marriott retracting a promotion is cause to be dissatisfied.  Try writing to Customer.Care@marriott.com and requesting a refund.

There are several examples here at Insiders of what the narrative might say. To view these posts, do a search on the text string, "Customer.Care@marriott.com"

Reply back if you encounter difficulty.

newby5 Member
    Who did you talk to, to make a reservation?  I still can't get in for Sept.  I check everyday for openings.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Keep trying and good luck!

tjcnewyork Platinum

newby

It's challenging for Gold and Platinum, so it must be even more daunting without.  As suggested before, having additional negotiating power is required.  Be equipped with a reservation at a competing hotel and keep trying.  

Class Move!

huskers Platinum 60 Reviews
    I ended up selecting the hilton honors program due to overall national coverage at different price points.  Their program is comparable to what marriott used to be.  I am diamond status after staying 20 nights.  While I am completely happy with their the embassy suites and doubletree suites I have been staying at I remain disappointed that Marriott forced me to make a change.

Newby5:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, at TJCNewYork's suggestion  I contacted Customer Care.  When I received a reply that was unacceptable, I asked Customer Care for the contact info of someone to whom I could escalate my issue.  The next day, I heard from the Grand Flora.

And, again as TJCNewYork points out, my success may be the exception to the rule.  I have all of the other qualifications for Lifetime Plat but I'm 460,000 points short of the 3M point requirement.  So, that may well have a lot to do with my success.

Keep trying!

Congratulations!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...