12 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2009 9:18 PM by takemeoutside RSS

St. Thomas

purdue1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
I just booked a trip with the inclusive package on St. Thomas.  Has anyone been there?  My wife and I went there on our honeymoon 30 years ago and have decided to go back. 
  • Re: St. Thomas
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    A thirty year hiatus is a long time, welcome back. I've been to the St. Thomas Marriott several times and enjoyed each trip. One thing I would recommend that you do, if possible, is back out of the all-inclusive portion of the trip. In my opinion the on-site restaurants are "just OK" and it's not as if there are a dozen places to choose from on the property. When you consider all of the great places to eat scattered throughout the island, you'd be foolish not to take advantage of them. Enjoy your time there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

purdue1 Platinum 4 Reviews
    Thank you so much for your thought on the inclusive portion of our trip.  Do you usually rent a vehicle to get to other eating establishment or just take a taxi.  Do you have any "must do" items while in St. Thomas? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikephl Platinum
    My wife and I stayed at Frenchman's reef on our honeymoon in 1982 and went back for the first time in Oct 2008.  Had a great time on both visits.  I like the location.  Ask for a room with view of harbor and city.  Restaurants are good, not great.  Food is expensive so the inclusive package is a good idea.  Note that the best restaurant on the property, Havana Blue, is excluded from the inclusive deal.  But I think if you get all breakfasts, lunches, some dinners and your drinks it is still worth taking the inclusive deal.

sharonb423 Silver

We are also doing the all inclusive at Frenchman's Reef - other than Havana Blue is there anywhere or anything else that is not included? I heard that certain meals may be restricted.

I've never done all inclusive at a Marriott, does it work the same as every other resort? 

drexel05 Platinum
    My wife and I just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Frenchman's Reef. I booked a 7nt stay along with a 5nt all-inclusive package using my points(I was upgraded from a standard garden view to a ocean view with a balcony without even asking). By only going with the all-inclusive package for 5nts it allowed us to enjoy the best of both worlds of being all-inclusive and sampling some of the local restaurants (Note that the best restaurant on the property, Havana Blue)I agree 100% with Mikephl. The food at the marriott is very expensive (ex: $16.00 for a hamburger), between the two of us the average price of eating at the Marriott including breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks was around 300-350 dollars per day. So the all inclusive worked out very well. The higher end menu items such as Surf and Turf have a surcharge of 15 dollars we tried a few of the surcharge meals but they were never added to our bill at checkout . We rented a car and the parking at the hotel is free. I would recommend going to St. John for a day trip, take the ferry from Red Hook around trip for 2 is $24 and it's only a 20min ferry ride, great beaches and snorkeling.

tbride00 Platinum
    Thanks - I appreciate the info... heading to Frenchman's Reef in two weeks... I'm not a fan of all-inclusiveness.  The grocery store will be just fine for our needs, plus we'll dine out a bit here and there!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We recently went to a wedding there, right on the beach!

No place could have been anymore pleasant to work with than this Marriott.

The weather, and the rooms were enjoyed by all! 

jsk8888 Gold 60 Reviews
    Just arrived back from there friday. The all inclusive is fantastic.. even the drinks are included!! No bottles of wine or beer, but anything by the glass. They mention there will be $15 charges for the premium menu items like filet or rack of lamb, but the never charged us. Havana is a GREAT restaurant .. period, you'll notice the step up in service and food, but everywhere else on the prperty is included.

purdue1 Platinum 60 Reviews
    Did you stay at the Frenchman or MorningStar.  Is the Havana included or do you pay an additional charge.  My wife and I are going to celebrate our anniversary and want no surprises.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We had a great time at Frenchmans's Reef!

Have a great time! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Frenchmen's Reef is a great resort but BEWARE of the new combination award involving point redemption plus a daily upgrade fee w/tax reported by two Insiders recently *

* Re: BEWARE Booking with points UNCLEAR & UNFAIR

* Re: Beware of New "Cash Upgrade' Award

takemeoutside Platinum
    Heading to St. Thomas, it looks like from your post that the all inclusive is the way to go???  Do you have any recommendations on activities or going to the other items.  We are going in June

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...