6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 1:26 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Disappointment with devaluation

stltravel Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am a long time Marriott reward member and began researching a trip to the JW Cancun for a family vacation. For seven days the total would have been 130,000 points. Well, I went in to reserve it this morning and find that the trip is now 180,000 points. When I called Marriott customer service they told me that I had received emails explaining the change. I completely disagree with their deceptive explanation. I get 2 -3 emails from Marriott per week and they usually reference some "breakfast for two" special or "last minute getaway" destinations or "no more blackout dates" on points. Sound familiar to everyone out there? I typically quickly scan and delete these spam emails since 99% are really not that great and don't provide much value to me.

The fact that they changed the structure of their point system and rolled it into a positive spin email spam  "no more blackout dates" campaign is disgraceful.

When I called to talk to someone about the issue they obviously did not want to talk about the matter and told me it would be 20 or more minutes before I could speak to someone with any clout within the Marriott Rewards group. Marriott has done a diservice to their loyal members by not being forthright and I will not soon forget it.

One of their "spin" marketing gurus should have to call my two children and let them know that the JW vacation they were anticipating is now not going to happen because of Marriott's clever tactics to deceive their customer base.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointment with devaluation
    blysky Platinum

Save your Points

The Cancun Marriot is a beautiful hotel but the beaches are gone!! I was just there in Dec of 2008 with my family and checked out after one night stay. Not only do they have no beaches, the hotel was dead and yet the service was very bad.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jewels Gold
    What is the reason that Marriott said that it would take more pionts, is it because they added the no black out dates or that they just raised thier pionts price.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Specifically which Marriott did you stay at in Cancun?  I have reservations to go there this summer.  Where did the beaches go?  The picture of the hotel shows it, right next to the beach.

Thanks!

schweetie Platinum 3 Reviews
    The beachers were just eroded away by the last big hurricane. There is a small beach with sand and the water is gorgeous but there are huge rocks in the water that you have to be very careful of when going in the water.  It's just not a huge wide beach that you would typically expect to see.  They still operate water sports right off of the beach such as jet skiing and parasailing. It is still an awesome place to visit and we had  a fantastic week at the JW and can't wait to go back!

rmunson1 Silver 3 Reviews
    I, too, have called numerous times to complain. and been disgusted by their spin about why this new structure is 'good'.  I, too, delete my countless spam emails from hundreds of vendors without opening/reading, but luckily, this one did happen to catch my eye.  Thus, Jan 14, the day before the new structure, I was able to claim a reward under the old rules.  Also, luckily, after seeing the new structure and decided to sell 2 of my 4 timeshares (already sold to some unsuspecting or uninformed or unwise buyer).  May be selling the other 2 soon.  The program (timeshares for points) is not what I bought into.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Last October, Tropical Storm Omar delivered substantial damage throughout the Caribbean.  As someone suggested, save your points and rethink where to spend them.  A few weeks back Marriott announced a 3 for 2 Special Resort Redemption Offer that merits a look.  Cancun is not included, but CasaMagna on Mexico's Pacific coast is:

*  3 for 2 Special Offer

**  Participating Resort Locations

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...