1 Reply Latest reply: May 4, 2009 1:19 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Blackout dates when rooms available

vpplayer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hooray the new era of MR has begun [/end sarcasm]   I have too much time on my hands today. Here's what I have found so far.  The news is not all bad.

The Good:

• I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of MVCI properties occasionally available for redemption.  I seem to remember they were difficult to redeem under the old system.  The MR program page does not list them as a participating chain.  So far, I have found mostly lockouts and 1-bedrooms, no 2-bdr villas, so I won't claim the value is great.
  • I had previously reserved a five-night stay at Marco Island Marriott for mid-sep 09 and was forced to take an upgrade for additional points (Total of 135K).  Today I was able to re-reserve without the upgrade (total of 120K pts) under the new program.  This is just one data point and yes I know it was for a 5-night stay and not seven.  Still, not being forced into a paid upgrade is nice (as platinum, I almost always get upgraded)  YMMV

The Bad:

• Nothing new here - the devaluation of points which should be expected from any loyalty program from time-to-time is always disappointing
  • No plans to raise MVCI trade-in value accordingly

The Ugly:

• I have already found blackouts when standard room are available. I assume this is why Ed French would not answer my question. Many of these are duing high demand "special events" which i do not recall being excluded from the "No blackout" or even mentioned anywhere in Marriott's propaganda.

Example Blackout Locations and dates (after confirming standard rooms are available for purchase):

• 5/1-5/3 Louisville Kentucky (all hotels)
  •     Residence Inn Louisville Airport
  •     Faifield inn Seymour
  •     All others are "special event rate" rooms
  • 5/23-5/25 Indianapolis (all hotels)
  •     All are "special event rate" rooms and none are availble for redemption
  • September/many dates at Fairfield Inn, Virginia Beach

You get the idea.  I'm sure there are others.

I hope this helps, and if I have missed missed the boat on anything please post it here.

vpplayer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...