2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2009 11:22 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Need Advice

jfitzpatrick Gold
Currently Being Moderated
Anyone have advice on good places to stay in Asheville, NC?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need Advice
    gregdowdeswell Platinum
    For business you have to stay at the Renaissance downtown. For pleasure the best place is the Grove Park Inn, they have a pretty good golf course for a resort.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need Advice
    tjcnewyork Platinum

My wife and I attended a New Years Eve wedding in Asheville and the bride and groom chose the Renaissance Asheville and the Sheraton 4 Points across the street for a group topping 200 guests - mostly out of towners.

We stayed two nights at the Renaissance and had a mixed experience. There were insufficient rooms on the Concierge level, but we were given a one bedroom 2 bath suite along with C-lounge access.  Despite a great view od Asheville, our bedroom was too narrow and over-furnished. The fixtures and furnishings needed a total refurbishment.  While the room was spotless, there was an unrelenting smell.  We discovered that a prior guest stored take-out in the refrigerator. Housekeeping neglected to clean it out prior to our arrival. There were other issues which I will spare you. 

In all fairness to Marriott, I think the Renaissance staff was overwhelmed from the Front Desk breaking in holiday help to Housekeeping and Operations who were short-staffed. We were compensated, but that doesn't take away the sting of starting off 2009 with a less than stellar stay with Marriott.  Asheville is a wonderful town with great attractions.  Despite our experience, we'll consider staying at the Renaissance next time.

Don't miss the historic Grove Park Inn a sprawling resort and spa overlooking the scenic beauty of the Blue Ridge mountains. The Grove Park Inn is famous for its spa and the Renaissance refers guests there as it does to the Vanderbilt Mansion nearby.  The Grove Park Inn is featured on national TV for hosting the annual Gingerbread House Competition.  Contestants from all over the country bring their entries to Asheville in November to participate in a competition that kicks off the holidays in Asheville.  The winning entries in all categories are on public display throughout the Christmas holidays amidst very lavish decorations including several dozen holiday-themed trees throughout. We went twice and especially enjoyed the culinary offerings and dining venues overlooking the mountains.

While in North Carolina, should plans take you into Charlotte, I highly recommend the Charlotte Renaissance Suites about 15 minutes outside of City Center. The Charlotte Renaissance features spacious 1 bedroom rooms on the C-level and a great staff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...