5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2009 9:40 AM by mikiegfla RSS

Marriott Marquis VS Renaissance  Times Square

sunnski Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Planning a trip to NY. Will be staying in Times Square.  We have stayed the the Marquis but were looking at the Renaissance.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel recently, maybe both, what is your recommendation?

Thanks  Ralph

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Marquis VS Renaissance  Times Square
    skibumleg Platinum
    It really depends on what you are looking for.  I've stayed at both.  The Marquis is HUGE and the elevator situation can be a little tricky but they've gotten most of the issues sorted out.  There is a wide variety of restaurants and shops at the Marquis.  The Renissance in my mind is more of a boutique hotel.  It's much smaller, the fitness room leaves a lot to be desired but it's easy to get in and out of.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cbechdel Platinum
    I've not stayed at marquis, but have at Renaissance 2 times over last 12 months,  Renaissance is completey (both hardgoods and softgoods) renovated, has great tiled showers in the rooms (no tubs as far as I know, but great showers).  If a king bed room, ask for one in middle of hall, not ends as the bathroom entry is kind of awkward and so is desk and tv etc. Middle hall rooms are more traditional entry: bathroom then bedroom bedroom.  End of hall you enter right into bedroom.  Very modern and contemporary design.

nancyj Gold
    To make life even more confusing, I would highly recommend the Marriott Eastside in NYC.  That is the place I stay now when i travel to Manhattan.  Great location near Grand Central and other subway stops.  Lots of excellent restaurants within walking distance and across the street from the Waldorf and the famous Bull and Bear Bar!!  Walking to Times Square is easy from the Marriott or you can take the free Times Square subway shuttle to and from Grand Central.  

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Ralph,in response to your Times Square choice:

We have stayed at the Marquis quite a bit over the last couple years, and here's my opinion (full disclosure: I have not stayed at the Renaissance)

• The Marriott Marquis has a very nice set of rooms, large by NYC standards.  If you're upgraded to a corner or a suite, you will have gobs of room.
    • Staff are excellent:  from the bellmen to the Concierge in the Lobby to the staff at the Concierge Lounge.
    • Times Square views are without equal.
    • Their Fitness center is staffed and had great equipment, and open all the time.
    • Like the Renaissance, all major Broadway theaters are just a hop, skip and jump up or down the street.  One theater is in the hotel, the Marquis (3rd floor).
    • Junior's Cheescake, is just outside the side door of the Marquis.

As a Silver Elite you'll more than likely need to pay extra for the luxury floors at either place--but the regular amenities at the Marquis are nice.  One downside is the sometimes slow pace of the elevators, which apparently are better than the bad old ones.

Stay at the Marquis, use the concierge in the lobby for help, and have a great time.  Split a Junior's cheescake--best one I have ever had

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

The two properties are very different. The Renaissance is kind of classy but the rooms are tiny while the Marquis is absolutely MASSIVE and a madhouse. I checked into the Marquis for the first time last December and was given corner room, which was very large. The Concierge Lounge at the Marquis was well stocked but very crowded and one day when I arrived at 9:25am I found that they were already closing up shop and all that remained for breakfast were various breads.

In the end I think the choice between the two is a very individual thing, but I think the next time I visit the city I will check into the Renaissance. If for nothing else, it's peacful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...