Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 1:48 PM by wytdvl1969 RSS

January 15th 2009 Marriott Reward Program Devaluation

msully Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just learned about the devaluation of the Marriott Rewards program. I find the spin that Marriott has put on what they are rolling is what I like to refer to as corporate speak. I'm not sure if the architect's of this new program think that we are idiots or what. Hey Marriott....... if someone achieves gold or platinum level in Marriott they are your best customers. I like many others plan our vacations well in advance and have never used the "stay anytime" awards. I have been a loyal Marriott Rewards member for over 20 years and platinum for more than 10 years. I have often gone 10 to 15 miles out of my way on business trios to stay at a Marriott property vs Hilton or Starwood. I would hate to have to reconsider my loyalty but the new program is not a plus and makes the competitor loyalty programs much more attractive. I ask you this question....."Is this something that you want to do when companies are cutting travel budgets and most road warriors are being asked to do more day trips vs overnight stays?"

I truly hope that you reevaluate this downgraded program>

• Re: January 15th 2009 Marriott Reward Program Devaluation
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"I have often gone 10 to 15 miles out of my way on business trips to stay at a Marriott property vs Hilton or Starwood."

Extremely well said.  That's the kind of brand loyalty that earn-ed Marriott the Freddie Award year after year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gaboytraveler Platinum

I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite member with Marriott.  I make every effort to only stay at Marriott properties.  We just went to redeem 500,000 points towards Cruise Cash and learned about the devaluation.  The points required for $1,000 has gone from $130,000 to $250,000.  That equates to over a 90%  increase which is outrageous.

Our household has two Lifetime Platinum Elite members and has made us take a second look at other hotel programs.  I've gone ahead and will try Hyatt next week in NYC and my partner will try Hilton.  Not sure if Marriott rewards goal was this, but if it is, you just made it happen.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

LJS Platinum 2 Reviews

I too was very suprise about the change for point, I have try to save for the year for cruise cash then when you go and checkit out you find that it now cost you more than a few months ago, In around three years a $1000.00 cruise cash has gone from 90000 to now 250000. that is a lot of change for no more in service or rewards points.

wytdvl1969 Platinum 13 Reviews

Unfortunately every other loyalty program out there does the same thing.