7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2009 11:40 PM by sirgrr RSS

Hawaii Marriott options

richmondrumble Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking to take my wife to Hawaii in March/April 2009 for 1 week to enjoy the ocean, spend a lot of time relaxing and soaking up some sun.. This will be our first time in Hawaii. We are in our late 20s, love the outdoors - water, hiking, biking, etc. and love eclectic restaurants and like trying local favorite cuisine, etc. We like clubbing and doing the late night thing too - not every night though.

I am looking for suggestions on which island to visit and which Marriott property to stay at. I will be using my points for 7 nights and would like to stay at one resort only. I would like the resort to have direct ocean access and not be in a very crowded area.

• Re: Hawaii Marriott options
    4everontheroad Platinum
    Maui is my favorite Island, but the Maui Marriott is great but very busy.  The Wailea Marriott on Maui is much more subdued.  Maui is really the nicest island for dining, site seeing, etc. We have also stayed on Kauai many times and the Kauai Marriott is excellent and very laid back.  It is on the ocean in a secluded bay and very nice.  It has an exceptional pool.  Kauai also has some great places to explore and good snorkeling.On the Big Island Waikoloa is a very nice place, but a little far from everywhere, but you can see the volcano on this Island which you can't do on the others. 

We are heading to Maui in Early February for 2 weeks.  Can't wait.  Enjoy yourselves.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

commuter Platinum
    The Big Island has more activities than you will ever pack into a week.  Extremely varied also.  In my visits to the Big Island and Kauai, i have not seen much nightlife.  Waikoloa property is nice, one of the few hotels on the BI with direct beach access, BUT, you'd better enjoy kids, everyone's kids.  Children to teens that neither parents or the hotel seem to police.  Three pools and whirlpools and kids in them 24/7 - parenting not required.  Beautiful property in good location -  a bit of a drive back to Kona though.  Hotel restaurant is overprice and under-quality but there are plenty of walking-distance options.  Don't expect benefits if you are platinum.  Hotel is near two previous #1 beaches.  Get the http://www.wizardpub.com/ books.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

smalltowntx Platinum

We just got back from the Ko Olina resort area on Oahu.  Definitely not crowded like Waikiki, but still lots to do.  And you're only 30 minutes from Waikiki for some nice restaurants and nightlife.  We stayed this time at the Ko Olina Beach Club, one of the Marriott Vacation Clubs, but I highly recommend the JW Marriott Ihilani in Ko Olina.  Very nice resort.  Several restaurants to choose from.  Roy's restaurant is also right there at the golf course and has a variety of things on the menu.  We ate there 3 times in our 6 day stay.  There's not much nightlife in the Ko Olina area though.  But the lagoons that the resorts are on make for very nice beach areas to relax and swim and even some snorkeling. 

I also agree with the poster that mentioned that Wailea Marriott on Maui.  We stayed there a couple years ago and it was very nice.  Not too far from Lahaina where there's lots of restaurants. 

Kauai is our favorite island though (we just bought into the Marriott vacation homes there), but it definitely doesn't have nightlife.  It all pretty much shuts down after dinner.  The Kauai Beach Club in Lihue has a marvelous pool and steps from the beach, too. 

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Marriott on any of the islands.  We've stayed at many and have been very happy, that's why we keep going back (and why we finally bought into the vacation home).

nolife Platinum
    Based on your post, my suggestion is to consider staying in two resorts/Islands.  The Marriott @ Waikiki is the place to be for your night-life interests, you’re a walk and/or short cab ride to the better night life in the Islands.  Waikiki for beach is grossly overrated and overcrowded but if it’s night life you’re in search of, it is THE place. As mentioned by others, the JW on Oahu is a premier property but I think you should visit Maui or better yet, Kauai as the best location to be on the beach and enjoy time with your wife. I am a firm believer that most visitors to the Islands make the same mistake you're considering, staying on one Island the entire time.

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

We will be in Maui for one week starting 3/29/2009 staying at kahulu which is the airport most flights are using. I bought the fodor 2009 book on maui and i have researched quit a bit before i decided on this island and Marriott.

jcarullo Gold 2 Reviews

We've been to Maui five times. I'm hard pressed to believe you can do better than Maui. For all intents and purposes, there are two places to stay Kaanapali (Maui Marriott Ocean Club) and Wailea (Wailea Beach Resort).

Both places offer ocean access "out the back door". Kaanapali is crowded and busy, Wailea is quiet and subdued. The restuarants are better in Wailea. Both locations offer plenty of things to do, but require some driving. Rent a car. Kaanapali and nearby Lahaina offer more night life.

You can't go wrong in Hawaii. Everything is terrific everywhere you go.

sirgrr Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife and I stayed at the Walilea Marriott for a week in mid January.  It was just great! This Marriott is on the part of the island that rarely gets rain. The grounds are terrific and the staff is wonderful. We were contacted before we arrived and offered much help and information. 

As to resturants there are plenty - great food and a range of prices from which to choose.  We have friends that have time shares there and they helped us find some.

For breakfast try the Kehei Cafe.  It is just a few miles up the coast highway from Waliea:  The omlets and cinnamon rolls are super.  The menu has a lot of variety from which to choose. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60632-d615203-Reviews-Kihei_Cafe-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html

On the other side of the island past the airport toward Hana there is the Paia fish Market.  We love the ONO (fish) burger. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60636-d404415-Reviews-Paia_Fish_Market-Paia_Maui_Hawaii.html

For both of these don't mind the lines, they move fast and the food is both worth the wait and the price is reasonable.

We also found Jamba Juice. There are 2 or 3 on the island near malls.  One is near the airport and another is in Kehei. My wife (me also) becam addicted. http://www.jambajuice.com/jamba_locator#/home/

We were there for a week and took trips each day.  We drove to the lava fields (south from Wailie and don't miss the dark sand beach there and the turtles), the coast road to the north and the road to Hana.  There is a taped guide and map for the Hana trip.  It describes what you are seeing and speific points of interest. We did not turn back at Hana as is suggested but continued around the road to the west side and were there about sunset. Awesome! We finished the day by going to the Paia fish market.  Both the north coast and Hana roads are narrow and full of curves, but full of great scenery.  The road to Hana has waterfalls, the seven pools and some hiking.  Leave early and plan a full day. We went up the volcano and for sun rise and hiked some. You pay to go to the seven pools and volcano as these are part of the national park.  Your pass is good for 3 days so if you do either, you can save if you plan these for the time your pass is valid. We also went on a whale watch.  All was much fun and relaxing.

I trust this helps and enjoy!

SIR GRR

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...