6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2010 10:40 PM by bankergal RSS

St. Thomas

singlemalt Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Heading to St. Thomas second week in January. Haven't been there in over 20 years. Staying at the Frenchmans Reef with points, and taking the Food and Beverage plan with points as well. Does anybody have any suggestions about whether or not to rent a car, any suggestions about the hotel, any "tricks" you know or to avoid.

Please advise.

• Re: St. Thomas
    jimf41 Platinum

We have a TS at the Cove next door. I've stayed at the Reef and the Morningstar resort. I highly recommend renting a car and canceling the Food and Beverage plan. The hotel food is average at best but the restaurants in STT are great. Taxi trips to town are $8 PP each way. That can add up fast and for a weeks stay it's much cheaper to have a car. Parking at the Reef is free. I would also recommend staying at Morningstar rather than the Reef if you can switch. The Reef is nice but Morningstar is one of the best hotels I've been to in the Marriott chain.

A day trip to St John is always a must when we go to STT. The ferry is about $45 R/T but don't rent from Hertz as they don't allow their cars to go to St John. Budget and Avis do allow it. As for tips at the hotel, I don't know of any just relax and enjoy. Banana Tree Grill, Craig and Sally's and Margarita Phil's are some of my favorite eateries. The concierge at the hotel is great and they'll give you directions and many other recommendations. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I agree entirely with jimf41. Do not get the meal plan and visit as many local restaurants as you can. Right up the road from the Marriott is Mims, which is very good for dinner. In town are lots of great eateries. For me renting a car is a must since the island is so large and mountainous.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jbrotherton Platinum
    We have very picky kids, including myself, so experiencing the local flavor is no big deal to us, but the all inclusive does include all meals and drinks right?? Including drinks from the bars??  I am assuming it is your typical Marriott Menu.

• Re: St. Thomas car rental
    dbquilt Platinum

Can anyone recommend a rental agency?  We will need a 9 or 10 passenger vehicle.  We are taking a family vacation 6 adults (66 to 35 years old) and 3 "children" 19, 12 & 5 (will be six while we are there).  Would it be better to contract for a van/cab for the week?

gamoniker Gold
    I've always used Avis. They probably do van rentals, which does sound like the best bet with children. Avis has always provided dependable services, and they have quasi-rewards program as well.

bankergal Gold

Don't bother renting a car, taxies are readily available as is the ferry.  We stayed for a week in August and had a great time.  The shuttle from the Reef Lobby takes you right to the Morning Star.  The beach there is private and clean, just what we wanted.  The Reef needs some updating, especially the Lobby and if you are looking for a jacuzzi this location does not have one.  The Rum bar with the view is spectacular.  I can  not wait to go back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...