3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2009 11:01 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Free stays should count towards Elite qualification

conman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have tons of points - but never use them for a free stay for myself, because I barely make the (platinum) elite level and if I use points for a stay, I won't make it, as those stays don't qualify towards elite. So, I use them for a second room for the kids or friends. However, with our kids leaving the house, I'd like to use them for my own stays - but would hate to lose platinum, especially with the upcoming MR program changes. Has anyone figured out a way around that, or has other insights? I looked way back through the Forums and didn't see this addressed yet. I believe this is probably an issue for many of us? Marriott, what is the logic in not counting these nights for your best customers anyway, as we typically do spend in the hotel, even on free stays, on meals, internet, minibars and what have you. Anyone?

• Re: Free stays should count towards Elite qualification
    sharonb423 Silver 1 Reviews

I've thought the same thing - whether we use free nights or use one of our two timeshares it doesn't seem to affect our status level. Essentially being an owner doesn't count for much, unless I'm missing something? Also we automatically start off the year at Silver but don't get credit on the status for the first 10 stays so we still need to stay 50 nights to hit Gold. I wonder if the timeshare is even worth it anymore... other hotel chains seem to offer much more for their owners, with more perks and upgrades in status levels.

Have you written letters to anyone? I've considering doing that but am not sure where to start...  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hawaiiowner Platinum
    Hilton counts free stays, their higher elite levels are easier to reach, and their elite benefits are much better.  Ditto for Starwood, except they do not count free stays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

I agree that free stays should count towards Elite qualification for all the reasons mentioned.

Only recently did Marriott count nights spent at Marriott Vacation Club resorts.  I own multiple weeks in Orlando.  On top of the purchase price, I pay an annual maintenance fee.  The years traded for points were obviously not counted either. That's 14 nights per year since 1995 of paid missing stays. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...