19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 6:37 PM by bpelican RSS

Marriott Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, SC

johnny99 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am considering going to Marriott Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, SC this coming summer with wife and two active boys (6 and 9). Is this hotel a good place for kids? How is beach, waves, pools? Things nearby?

If not this place, any other recommendations on East Coast Beach hotels for families?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach, SC
    bmwcaber Platinum 2 Reviews
    Hi, we have gone to the Myrtle Beach Grande Dunnes the past 3 years and love it - great pool, along with Beach access.   You will not be disapointed.   We go for the 4th of July timeframe - 3 to 4 days are perfect!  Also, tons of nice restaurants and stuff nearby - but we mostly just hang at the pool and beach!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

We go to this property on a regular basis and will continue to do so.  It is right on the beach and has every thing you want for your vacation.  It's a kids paradise with everything from huge heated pools, one with a slide, to a basketball court.  Then there's the ocean, bocci, shuffleboard, etc!  We love the place.

thebighammer Silver 57 Reviews
    It is fun enough - though I don't have kids - the beach is very large - there are several pools - I'd look on the website of the hotel itself to see - there are a ton of options for kids' activities in Myrtle Beach itself - every theme restaurant on earth, Broadway on the Beach...

churst Gold 1 Reviews
    Very nice resort property.  Been there a few times on business, but brought a teenager one visit and he was happy with the offerings.  Nice beach and pool.  Very relaxing setting - hammocks are a nice treat and  lots of space to spread out. Good location in MB - restaurants and attractions close by.  And if there are any golfers in the family - plenty of choices. 

tmorgan Silver 1 Reviews
    Ripley's Aquarium has a great kid's programs- day and overnight. Some have overnight's where my children slept with sharks swimming above them, some program's include scuba diving and petting sting rays. My children enjoyed the program's- my daughter was 10 and my son was 11.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We enjoyed the golf, the food, and the hotel hopitality!

We are taking our group there again this year for another large meeting! 

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Johnny,

Even though it looked like you had lots of responses, all of them pre-dated your post.  I haven't been there, but it looks really nice and I've never heard anything bad about it.

You didn't say when you were planning on going.  Have you already been?  Probably.  If so, where did you stay and how did you like it?

eight50fun Platinum 1 Reviews

I personally do not like myrtle beach and its usually a pretty trashy crowd.  That being said,  the marriott is definitely a step above the rest so probably your best bet.  I stayed there once for a long golf weekend and would definitely stay there again...  If some kidnapped me and dragged me back to myrtle.

It is in the classier part of Myrtle.  No doubt about it.

The type of crowd would depend on when you went and where.  If one goes during one of the 2 bike weeks, they might look trashy, but that doesn't mean they are.  Some of the people might dress like beach bums, but that's because they are there for that purpose, i.e. to laze around and enjoy themselves. 

At this time of year, it's the older snow birds for the most part, who go from one resort in the south to the other.

I just talked to a couple the other day who were from Quebec, retired, and just spent the previous week in Pompano Beach, FL.

At other times, I've heard them talking about other resorts or beaches they might like to try based on where they've been and what they've liked.  None of them were trashy people.

None of the malls are trashy, either.  Barefoot Landing, Market Commons, Coastal Grande, Myrtle Beach Mall, the 2 Tanger Outlet Malls are all fine malls to shop and enjoy.  Then there are all of the theaters (live musical shows) including Medieval Times, which has never chosen their openings without a lot of consideration IMO.  Look at how few there are in the country.

There are also quite a few restaurants that are pretty selective on where they build and MB is growing dynamically, not without reason.

I wouldn't kidnap you to drag you here. 

Great points you make re: Myrtle Beach.  It may be be a little more "commercialized" than say Hilton Head Island and other east coast vacation spots, but it really has everything you could want.  I have to be kidnapped to leave the place.

And they really planned well for this ice, too, didn't they?  The schools were all closed for Tues. because the ice was supposed to come earlier than it did, but I didn't open the curtains to see what was going on since I wanted the insulation against the cold.

There was a pretty solid coating of ice on my windshield when I tried to go to Sam's Club at 6 pm, so it had been going on for a while, but we had plenty of groceries anyway having picked a few things up at Food Lion the night before.

BTW, have you ever tried the CheerWine sherbert that can only be bought at Food Lion?  We love to have it in a float with ginger ale and look forward to coming here to have access to FL.

Food Lions are no longer in Montgomery, AL and Kroger and Bi-Lo have left there, too.

BTW, it's no more commercialized than most vacation spots like Branson.  HH just has that "no new building" building code that they seem to be getting around by doing construction on the old mall.

P.S.:  We like Canada Dry with real ginger in it.

Thanks for the tip on CheerWine sherbet and ginger ale.  Will have to try it.  Ice in MB, they can't handle that at all!

hahahaha  No, but at least they handled the situation well.  Poor Atlanta.  So glad I didn't try driving yesterday. 

I understand that Atlanta was/is a mess.  Some children actually spent last night in their schools.  Folks were left stranded on the Interstates - a real horror show.  Temps are supposed to be better tomorrow and should clear things up.

Yep.  We've got this villa until Sat. a.m. so then we'll go back. We're right across from Medieval Times here.

We try to get to Medieval Times at least every other year.  Grandkids love it.  We were just at the Grand Dunes Villas week before last for a week.  It was cold, but the pools and hot tubs are so heated the low temps only posed a problem getting into and getting out of them.  Roads are still bad here (Aiken, SC) where it's still below freezing and in Georgia.  Should clear tomorrow they say.

I noted in the first post that Canada Dry is the one we like with real ginger.  Have you ever tried Bleinhem ginger ale?  Even the gold cap is too strong for me but my son and husband really like the gold.  It's from SC and they used to have more varieties that I really liked.

http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...