11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2009 5:58 PM by coastalman RSS

recommendation request

jayslivs Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking for recommendations for California hotels, level 5-7 on Ocean with access to shopping, better restaurants. have 2 boys 10,7 who love sports, i.e water, tennis.

• Re: recommendation request
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

My family lives in southern California, but we travel around the state frequently.

Our suggestions:  The San Diego Marriott Marina Hotel and the Coronado Island Marriott Resort, both  very close to the San diego Embarcadero and Coronado Beach.  Furthern north, the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort at Dana Point, close to Doheney Beach and the Marriott and Marriot Suites in Newport Brach.  In the LA area, try the LeMerigot JW Marriott REsort at Santa Monica.  In northern Caliifornia, there is the Monterey Marriott,and several downton hotels in San Francisco.

Of the above, our favorites are the San Diego area hotels  and Laguna Cliffs Resort.  However, all of the above are close to area beaches and many area attractions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

calfire Platinum 2 Reviews
    Coronado Island Marriott Resort, fits the bill.  It is just across the Bay from downtown San Diego, features a health spa, swimming pool with views of the San Diego skyline.  Walk along the beach, shopping on the Island, fine dining in walking distance or a water cab ride away from downtown San Diego.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stemcell Gold 2 Reviews
    Without reservation (excuse the pun) I would HIGHLY recommend the Marriott on Coronado Island (San Diego). A great resort with everything nearby you could want.Great family or fine dining are close, good shopping a walk away at the Ferry Landing or just across the bridge (via car or ferry) to downtown San Diego and Horton Plaza. Several beaches directly on the island or the Silver Strand, and a very nice pool. Also the best Sunday Brunch on the island.

jayslivs Gold
    thank you!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    San Diego might be best if they're into water sports.  If they are willing to forgo that, try the Monterey Marriott in Monterey--the Monterey Bay Aquarium is not that far away, which allows you to swim with the fishes from the comfort of the Aquarium while they check you out on their side of the window!

bamarriott Platinum
    Try San Diego.  SWEET restraunts near by, great pool bar.

brklynrider Platinum
    Not sure exactly what part of CA you are looking for, but I was at the Ventura CA Marriott in April and it was fantastic.  It was a block from the beach, near the Channel Islands National Park.  Great location.  http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oxrvb-ventura-beach-marriott/

traverriotter Gold

Other than Coronado San Diego, I think Le Merigot in Santa Monica is along the lines of what you are looking for.  It has beach, tennis, great restaurants, and close access to good shopping / downtown area.

Someone mentioned Dana Point - which is further south, (on the southern end of Orange county I think) is probably a little remote for your purposes - you would definitely be getting in your car for restaurants and their isn't a whole lot of shopping nearby.

bloombergtv Member
    he San Diego Marriott Marina Hotel has a great location for restaurants and the Coronado Island Marriott Resort, would be best for your boys, the pools are heated there but not at the Newport Beach Marriott. Newport Beach Marriott
    has a small pool but the kids insisted on swimming and caught a cold.
    I love the spacious guest rooms and suites with views of
     beautiful Coronado Island and San Diego Bay at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort,Remember to count on a hidden resort fee.  -  Eat at the lighthouse Restaurant.

nomadictravele Gold
    I've been to all the costal Marriott except the one in Dana Point.  The best is San Diego Coronado with easy access to shopping and good eats  Santa Monica JW Meriigot is more suitable for adults only.  Very small hotel frontal area with valet parking only.  It does not even have a jacuzzi which was disapointing.  There are no grouonds for the kids to run around or walk around.  It has excellent on site restaurant and near by restaurants also offer multiple choices.

coastalman Silver

Hi, if you're traveling hwy 101 thru the Central Coast where we live, I must recommend Pismo Beach and Avila Beach-both near the new San Luis Obispo Marriott courtyard.  Both of these beach towns are for surfing and all beach activities.  Further north on hwy 101, we like to stop at the Salinas Residence Inn, which is only a short drive to the coastal town of Moss Landing. The BEST thing about this Salinas hotel is the INDOOR pool and whirlpool!!!!! The staff at this Marriott is very attentive and provides a wonderful free hot breakfast.  Have a great trip.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...