6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2013 5:39 PM by vegasvictim RSS

General Opinions on Toronto Marriotts

radioflyer Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I've stayed at pretty much every Toronto Marriott property, with the exception of the Renaissance.  These are my personal comments based on experience - your mileage may vary.

Marriott Bloor Yorkville - I spent a total of 4 months here.  Staff were always courteous, professional, and friendly - even the cleaning staff!  Decor was not as modern as I prefer but it served its purpose for the location.  Lounge was ok - breakfast could have been better.  VPN connectivity was problematic but the internet itself was fairly solid.  Bed was comfortable.  Having a hot dog stand right outside, mall downstairs, and subway station directly connected to the mall was pretty convenient.

Marriott Eaton Centre - stayed only 1 week here, but definitely the best Marriott property in town.  Breakfast was amazing for just being platinum - eggs to order, including omlettes, fruit, breads, etc.  Internet connection was solid, but still had VPN problems.  Seems to be a trend with higher end properties.  Decoration was more modern and brigher than Bloor Yorkville.  Bed was comfortable here too.  Also, couldn't beat that the mall was directly connected.  VPN had problems here too, but internet was solid.

Marriott Residence Inn Entertainment District - spent about a month here.  The usual stuff associated with residence inns - kitchen, evening and morning food.  Wading through the herd of people to get through breakfast was really annoying, and quality was okay... more breakfast-ish compared to the bloor yorkville.  Room was pretty good, but bed wasn't as comfortable as the BY and Eaton Centre.  The Rabbas was close by for regular groceries, but no nearby big box grocery like Loblaws.  Internet was good, but VPN was problematic.

Courtyard Marriott Toronto - Definitely at the bottom of the list of the Marriott's in town.  Not a surprise given the marriott food chain, but I have been quite underwhelmed by the cleaning staff (sighing while she's cleaning because I'm too messy?  So what if I'm messy - I'm a business traveller!), the back office staff's inability to maintain paperwork properly (I had free breakfast, but I was left off the list several days in a row, and the restaurant staff asked me to check with front desk, and then front desk confirmed I was on the list, and I had to go back to the restaurant staff - why should I have to do the running around when it's the hotel's job to get it right?), and my account being repeatedly dinged for long distance calls even though it was a local number being called.  Lesson learned, all marriotts are not created equal.  Curse my company for pushing my budget down, otherwise I would have stayed at the Eaton Centre Marriott.  Oh, and the internet was very spotty - could barely load pages and my instant messenger kept on getting disconnected.  My bed wasn't the most comfortable either - I've been in best westerns that have had better beds - which isn't saying much given the marriott brand.  The only bright spot while I was there was the front desk staff were really understanding despite my venting regularly, and the front office manager was very nice.

Anyways, that's my rundown of Toronto area marriotts.  Feel free to send me a message if you want details on any particular property.  And thanks for listening to me vent - 136 nights in Marriotts in one year took quite a toll on me in 2008.  Platinum status was quite bitter-sweet as it meant I had stayed way too long in these hotels.

Moderator - not sure if this crosses the terms and conditions line, but these are my honest personal comments and opinions.  I'll consider this a test of how unbiased this board is.  Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: General Opinions on Toronto Marriotts
    kokoe2 Platinum

I heard that Courtyard Toronto used to be owned by a lesser hotel chain. Then it all made sense. But the lcoation was very good for me, close to the gay district.

Bloor was adequate and convenient.

Marriott Eaton Centre was by far the best. Beautiful property. Concierge lounge is next to main restaurant. You step out to place an order and step back in to eat it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

radioflyer,

Thanks for the rundown on Toronto Hotels last year in 2012.  I visited Toronto a couple of times (once in the late 90's, once in 2002) and now in the process of planning another trip in Nov 2013.  As suspected I think the Marriott Eaton Centre is probably still  the ideal property to stay at when in downtown....its a shame that it is so much more expensive than the CY down the street.  I may have to make use of some Marriott points for my stay.  I'm going to fly into town using the new Porter Airlines which offers a direct flight from Dulles to Toronto City Island Airport which is much less expensive and more convenient than flying into Toronto Pearson.   Do you have any other words of wisdom that you might think maybe useful?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

vaboywnder,

Great re-cap of Toronto Marriott's!

Have only stayed at The Marriott B-Y, and really enjoyed the shopping in the area, especially H. Hudson Dept. Store!

This information will help a "Whole lot of MRI"!

Please keep your posts and information coming!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Thanks Jerry,

radioflyer is the one who really deserves credit for this one as he did a great summary of Toronto hotels.  When I found this posting I thought it was from last year but it actually is from 2009.  Toronto is definitely a great place to visit and I'm very excited about visiting again this fall.  It will be interesting to see how much has changed in the last 10-11 years since I've been there.  Maybe some other Insiders will have more recent feedback and travel tips

Have you tried the Porter Airlines Service which uses the Billy Bishop City Airport on the Toronto Island?  Seems like such a cool airline service and once you land you Toronto you get to take a short ferry ride to downtown. http://www.flyporter.com/

I'll also be sure to check out the H.Hudson store.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

vaboywonder,

Yes, I must apologize to Radioflyer, that was a wonderful post!

No, I had not heard of Porter Airlines, but will sure look them up on the next trip!

The dept store is Hudson Bay, and is a quality chain of fine stores.

Please keep the info coming!

vegasvictim Gold 3 Reviews

I usually stay at the airport or in Concord.  Airport Marriotts (all of them) not as good as the others for comfort or relation to meals.  Concord locations are what you would expect from this level of property

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...