2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2008 5:54 PM by dwaneclif RSS

A Safety Warning

dromeo Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I want to share an experience with everyone. I am currently staying at the San Antonio Riverwalk Marriott. First let me say that the staff here is really first class, however when my girlfriend and I returned from dinner last night, the entire lobby and lobby bar area was filled with smoke. We asked the staff and the manager what was going on and were told that it was caused by an old heating system being turned on and there was absolutely no danager. We than asked if anyone had notified the fire department "just in case" and were told no, that it was not necessary. We were not comfortable to go up to our room onthe 27th floor, so we sat at the lobby bar and waited for the smoke to recede. Forty five minutes later, it still had not improved and actually seemed to get worse. I than chose to call 911 myself and report a possible fire. This was the first the fire department heard anything about it and said they would send a truck. After watching the firemen do a through search, we retired to our room. The next morning we found a section of the lobby roped off and water dripping from the ceiling. I was shocked to find out (from several staff members) that there actually was a fire! Needless to say, no one was hurt but this could have been an incredible tragedy and I feel the management acted entirely inappropriate. I just wanted to put this out there in case any of you find yourself in a similar postion, you can't always trust what your told by management.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Safety Warning
    elitepro Member
    I agree that we should all be vigilant and report any strange occurrence - especially after 9/11 we should not rely on any hotel manager. Can you imagine loosing your passport in a hotel fire.-Look at my posting on this site –“If security is good  I can relax at a Resort”  and my blog;-   http://www.elitepro-travel.com where I have the consulate contacts everyone should have printed in their hand luggage in case there is an emergency in a foreign country.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A Safety Warning
    dwaneclif Platinum
    Kind of scary. I have checked out of some Riverwalk Hotels due to their lack cleanliness and safety. I will not stay in a Hotel that is dirty, unsafe and unhealthy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...