12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2008 12:57 AM by jvgincognito RSS

San Francisco - JW or San Francisco at Moscone Square

proiiman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Marriott Friends,

I am going to San Francisco for my birthday on Saturday and I'm trying to decide between the JW and the San Francisco Marriott at Moscone Center.  I'm going to be using points and I want to have fun, traveling with my girlfriend.  We were in San Francisco last weekend and checked out the JW, it did not seem very exciting.  Any suggestions?

• Re: San Francisco - JW or San Francisco at Moscone Square
    franlue Silver
    I would suggest the Marriott.  You really can't go wrong with the Marriott and it is in a great location.  Enjoy your stay in our beautiful City by the Bay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I've stayed at the Moscone Center one and it's OK--really large, can be impersonal at times, and it's easy to get lost.

I have not stayed at the JW, but have seen it first hand with a member of the staff--exceptional touches, clean windows inside and out, little niceties, etc. set it apart from other places.  Parking is pricey at both places so avoid bringing a car if you can.

If the objective is to walk the city either will do.  To see what a grand hotel is like I'd recommend the JW

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shanday Platinum 1 Reviews

My favorite Marriott in San Francisco is the Courtyard on the wharf.  It's not the most glamorous.  It is actually quite run down, but the location is the absolute best and the staff is wonderful! I never rent a car, public transportation and taxis work great.  Take Edward's (concierge) advice on places to eat, he will not steer you wrong.  Ask for the end room with a view of Alcatraz.

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews
    I have to say...in San Fran...the Renaissance is a beautiful hotel.  It is my choice, as it is in the center of everything.  Just a suggestion.

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews
    Not sure if my last post posted...  I suggested the Renaissance hotel in downtown San Fran.  It is a gorgeous hotel and the little accents like the Voss water are great.  Enjoy.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I have stayed at the "jukebox" Marriott on several occasions. I lived in SF when the hotel was built in the early 90's and that's what locals call it due to the glass encased bar on the top level of the building.

The property is stylish and is in a great location, just steps away from the BART station on Market Street. To avoid hotel valet parking fees, there is a public garage directly across the street (but no in/out privileges).

kristykelly Gold 4 Reviews
    I stay at the SF Marriott on 4th and Mission (by Moscone Center) every week, and it's by choice.  It's within walking distance to most things, and only a few steps to the Powell St. BART station.  It is a big hotel (I notice someone else called it the "jukebox hotel," which is very accurate and what everyone in SF calls it), but the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating.  I don't feel like I get lost at all...you just have to be willing to talk to people.  This is my home away from home.  And the concierge lounge is something you won't find at any other Marriott right in the city.  It's A+

kekedavi Silver 4 Reviews

My family (2 daughters) stayed at the SF Marriott last July.

Great location near the cable cars.  Nice rooms, friendly staff.

We upgraded (for a fee) to the concierge level-hot breakfast buffet, hor'douvres. desserts. computers, honor bar, TV's etc'

Recommend renting bikes near Fishermans Wharf-rode through city & crossed the GG Bridge.

cuitcny Platinum
    I have stayed many times at the JW Marriott in SF.  It is a very nice hotel with a great bar.  The location is excellent; easy walk to great restaurants.  I have also stayed at the Marriott at Moscone Center; next stay and it is also very nice.  I am headed to the Renaissance in SF for my next stay. The very best JW Marriott I have stayed at is in Grand Rapids, MI; the one in SF is nice but not as high a standard as one would expect.

proiiman Platinum
    Thanks everybody for your posts!  It turns out we stayed at the Jukebox Marriott and it worked out perfect!  We got upgraded to a presidential suite (I think there are a few) and the room was terriffic with two patios and wonderful views.  The location was greate, close to Union square.  At first I was worried that it would not be as close to Union square as the JW, but location was not a problem.  I also that I would have better chances getting upgraded at the JW because it was a smaller property, but getting hooked up on my birthday turned out to not be a problem.

bamarriott Platinum

The hotel at the Moscone has some good restraunts near by, close to the train and new lobby.  Make sure there isn't a huge conference in town, otherwise the busy factor will dampen if this trip is for fun. 

Haven't beent to the JW yet.

jvgincognito Gold
    This might be late..... maybe next time.... Fisherman's Warf Marriott on Columbus St. is the best, full service, get a suite, they are so cool, great walking area, all the way to the bridge, Crissy Field, the Presidio, great small restaurants in the area too... warfs are three blocks away, If you love fish this is the area .... Have Fun !!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...