0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2010 1:20 PM by njbill RSS

Marriott isn't what it used to be

njbill Silver
Currently Being Moderated

There are quite a few reasons why I have not spent many nights at Marriott the last few years.  The Rewards program was no longer as appealing. It cost a lot more points to get a lot less than when I joined 25 years ago (when the program was begun), some I no longer had incentive to seek out Marriotts.

Also, I was reluctant to use my Marriott Rewards Visa and finally cancelled it. Chase, which is probably the fourth or fifth bank to be involved in the program since I joined, became outright abusive. I got the card the year it was issued, but I have never experienced anything like the folks at Chase, who have boosted my interest rate to 25 percent because I was late (by two days) and also charged me a late fee. After I cancelled, I checked out my credit rating, and it was 773, which is not bad for someone who was treated like a deadbeat by Chase. Nasty people. So I had lost another incentive to stay at Marriotts.

And when I tried to use my points for a combo (airline and hotel) vacation this year, it was easy to get flights. But there were no rooms at any Marriotts in the whole country I wanted to visit. Dealing with the folks at Marriott was impossible. This was about the third or fourth time I could not find a hotel and had to ditch plans to use my points. So I just stayed at another chain. It seemed strange the airlines were much easier to deal with than Marriott on its own program. I was then told Marriott was not going to have any blackouts (good news), but I was not told it would cost me a lot more points (bad news). More point inflation. Outrageous. I guess I won't be staying at Marriotts anytime soon. Why bother?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...