4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2010 3:34 PM by gaijin RSS

Going to Tokyo in april 2009

newkid Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Taking my family to tokyo in April 2009 for my daughters graduation gift.  I need to coordinate my frequent flyer miles with my marriot miles...What should I do first? Should I secure the plane tickets or the hotel reservation?  We plan on staying in the ginza district because i think that will be the most fun for the teenagers...any other helpful 'CHEAP' hints?  Is mount fuji worth it?  We will be there 7 days Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Going to Tokyo in april 2009
    elaines Silver
    My family went to Tokyo last summer (2007) and stayed at the Ginza Courtyard.  Warning, it used to be a Renaissance and got downgraded.  If you don't like the room, say so - and ask for a renovated room. Hotel is in a great location - and you must must go to the Tsukiji Fish market .  If you have jet lag and are up super early - check out the tuna auctions. There are printouts in the lobby of sights and also pretty good transportation instructions. There's so much to see and do in Tokyo, I would advise buying a guide book ahead of time and really planning the trip around what interests you most. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tbenson99 Gold

HI,

Fuji is worth it!! Pending the weather.. keep an eye on that. Spring should be mostly clear if it isn't rainy. Very good day trip to Fuji. 

Also don't miss Shibuya - for a teen, a good place to walk around or shop around. 

I grew up in Japan for some years as a kid, and lived there as an adult.. Now travel there for business.

I stay in the Ginza at least 2 times a month. - Agreed great place for teens to shop around and eat out. Ginza is central on the transit hubs. Near Tokyo station, and easy access to subways. 

I usually stay at Ginza Courtyard - There is a German resaurant, LIONS from pre-WWII still in Ginza - great dining experience.Interesting to see a Japanese take on a very German experience. 

Search for affordable place to eat, they are there. Even in Ginza. Don-K is a ,,,, like Sams Club near the Courtyard, where groceries and snacks are cheap. Good place to buy souviners as well but there are better places also. 

If you have any specific questions let me know - 

tbenson99

sonotraveler Platinum
    I'd book the rooms first as you can cancel or change them if necessary with no fees, unlike the airlines which will charge you if you even think about a change.

gaijin Member
    Teenagers would probably prefer Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, and Roppongi (if they are 16+ and party type). The parents will probably like Ginza, Yokohama, Disney Land & Disney Sea, and Kasai Acquarium and the currently under construction new 620 meter tall tower (today it is at 320 meters). Remeber, in Japan, booze and tabaco products are sold in vending machines.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...