6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2009 5:56 PM by dbquilt RSS

Caribbean Quandary

h2lover Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Will be going to St. Thomas for my wife’s birthday in January 09. Our choices are the Fisherman’s Reef Marriott (7-day all inclusive for 220K MR Points) or the Ritz St. Thomas (7-days for 250K MR points – room only). Anyone stayed at either or both? Recommendation on the best stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Caribbean Quandary
    beachygirl Gold
    You can not go wrong with the Fishermans Reef.  We took our two teenage boys and had a wonderful time.  Two beautiful pools and it is right on the beach.  The restaurants are great.  Taxi's to downtown are very pricey.  If you have all inclusive stay at the resort and enjoy!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I've stayed at Frenchman's Reef (not Fisherman's Reef) a few times. The location is great if you have a car at your disposal. Overall I've had a very nice time there but the property itself is fairly dated and in dire need of a multi-million dollar makeover.

The restaurant's are just "ok" so I'm not sure you should waste the extra points for an all inclusive package especially since there are some really really great restaurants in town.

jimf41 Platinum

When we stay at the Marriott in STT I pick the Morningstar rather than the Reef. You'll stay in a cottage type building right on the beach. There is usually a $100 a night surcharge but it's only 130k points. Either way I'd pass on the all-inclusive and just go into town to eat. There are numerous restaurants to choose from.

Haven't stayed at the Ritz but I've been there. It's a nice hotel and TS but it's a little far from town. Haven't eaten there so I can't comment on the food but right next door there is a great restaurant at the Elysian TS. It's close to Red Hook and there are several good restaurants there.

jgraham Platinum
    Is the Ritz a Marriott Hotel? 

criswhit Gold
    I have stayed at both and the RITZ is by far nicer. Rooms are nicer, restaurants are nicer and beach at the RITZ  is incredible. You do want to go to the restaurant next to Fihermans one night as it sits over the beach.  If you tell your wife you are staying at the Fisherman's Reef and then suprise her by staying at the Ritz it would be a great present.  The Ritz does have a resort fee tacked on but it includes use of  kayaks, wind surfers, snorkel gear, and catarmans. You can take the kayaks about 200 yards away and snorkel on a beautiful reef.  Without a doubt the Ritz is worth the extra...

dbquilt Platinum

To anyone traveling to the USVI or to the Caribbean for that matter, I recommend the Lonely Planet Virgin Islands guide.  I would also recommend Herman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carvival".  While a work of fiction it gives some insite on boing business in the Caribbean.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...