9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2009 10:45 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

New Marriott Rewards Program - Pluses & Minuses

djferre Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I applaud Marriott for the improvements to the program including the removal of black out dates, the 5th night free and the elimination of stay anytime awards premiums. I also am willing to tolerate the modest increases in the number of points required for nightly stays in the upper categories.

However, I strongly resent and protest the re-categorization of the most popular hotels in London, New York, Paris and Rome to the new category 8 with its 40K points per night requirement.

I visit those cities regularly. As apparently other Marriott Rewards members must. The new category 8 creates effectively a 45% increase in the number of points for a 4 night stay from 110K to 160K. Granted that you could stay for a 5th night free but if you do not have a 5th night to spare then the increase is outrageous.

Keeping the hotels listed for Category 8 in Category 7 would have kept the increase to only 27% (from 110K to 140K) and made the sting a bit less for 4 nights and made the 5th night relatively neutral with the current program.

I'm a MGVC owner and part of the attraction and benefit of the being an owner was the convertability of weeks to points. The program changes announced have effectively lessend the value of my investment in MGVC properties for me. And frankly alters the implied business relationship between me and Marriott. Marriott GVC sold me a property and now Marritott is deflating its value by altering terms of a program that was established as a benefit to me as an owner.

I consider this to be a serious breach in our business relationship and should cause all MGVC property owners to pause and reflect on these actions by Marriott. It should also cause any future MGVC buying decisions to be considered much more carefully since the underlying business rational for a MGVC investment is the inflationary nature of the cost of a hotel night. If Marriot effectively freezes the value of the MGVC properties in terms of rewards points conversion and then increases the number of reward points required for redeeming for a hotel room then the inflation argument is erroneous.

Marriott needs to re-consider the introduction of Category 8 and eliminate it.  The hotels listed in this new category are fine properties but the premium being created tarnishes the Marriott brand and demonstrates a disregard for the Marriott members whose loyality the Rewards program was intended to stimulate and reward.

• Re: New Marriott Rewards Program - Pluses & Minuses
    elaines Silver

I echo many of the sentiments about the Marriott Vacation Club ownership devaluation.  How many of these properties do I have to own to get any decent hotel stays?

Category 8 is ridiculous for some of those NYC properties.  My favourite term for this is "points creep" and when will it all end?

One last comment - when you are a multiple week owner of Marriott Vacation Club - there's absolutely no recognition on the Marriott Rewards side, in terms of Status upgrade.  This is drastically different from Starwood Vacation ownership, where you get instant Gold status on the hotel side.

While I realize that there are many more Marriott Vacation Club owners compared with the other chains (Hilton, Westin etc) - they should really consider treating their Multiple week owners better.

In this economy it's all about customer loyalty - and what are the hotel chains with timeshare/vacation club subsidiaries doing to earn it from us?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum

Hi Elaine, Well I do agree with you on points creep, well said. Whilst Marriott is not my favoured company at the moment-they sure used to be before the 2009 points issue-I don't really like to say anything in their favour, however I always believed that all mvci owners were made silver members. At 15 nights that may have been worth something, but I understand the qualification is now set at 6 nights. Also, if you use your ownership to stay at your resort you get 'NIGHTS' toward platinum and maybe life membership.( Lotta nights tho')  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

elaines Silver

Hi Leslie -  I am quite surprised to hear about the automatic upgrade to Silver - as far as I know, it hasn't happened.  The last timeshare presentation I attended was in Aruba (March 2008) and when I asked about the auto upgrade to elite silver, they looked at me as if I had two heads.

They really need to look at rewarding their multiple week owners.

Happy Holidays!!

E

robertf531 Platinum

"I'm a MGVC owner and part of the attraction and benefit of the being an owner was the convertability of weeks to points. The program changes announced have effectively lessend the value of my investment in MGVC properties for me. And frankly alters the implied business relationship between me and Marriott. Marriott GVC sold me a property and now Marritott is deflating its value by altering terms of a program that was established as a benefit to me as an owner."

I wholeheartedly agree with this posters comments.  While I'm sure Marriott has the legal right to make these changes it certainly makes them look bad.

In addition to decreasing the value of the 4 weeks I own.  They in effect have increased the interest rate on my loan on the last week I bought.  As an incentive to finance through Marriott I was to be given 20000 reward points for every six months that I continued the financing agreement. At purchase I was shown how the value of these points decreased the effective intererst rate.  After making 5 payments I was sent a letter and told I would not receive these points.  The letter stated that this was "Due to the current economic environment".  Any potential new owners should be very wary.

As a Platinum Elite Rewards Member, my loyalty is waning.

jaybee Platinum
    I am only a gold member, but have just recently recommended a big client of mine to purchase, which they did in Fort Lauderdale.  AFter about a month of ownership, with their financing and getting the same offer you had of points for financing, they got the same letter.  I was most upset as MVCI had sold them the property in part based on that promotion.  Yes they have the legal rigth to alter thr program any time that they wish.  I have been communicating with David Babich, the COO of the company, and they fail to understand the horrific negative impact on their doing so.  My recommendation was to eliminate or suspend the program going forward, but not to eliminate when they have used this promotion as incentive to get the prospective purchasers to buy.

lesliepamel Platinum

Jaybee, well said. In 1987 my ownership would give me the average of 7.857 nights + 2 flights. In about 1998 the change presented me with 5.92 nights. The 2009 Awards let me have 3.666 nights. During this time the admin charge to change my time for points has risen from £27 to £85.

I always thought We were in the arena where Marriott boasted "Timeshare - as good as our name." Well there name now is dirt! They are like crooked policticians, and amongst the worse of the timedhare sharks.

The value of timeshare is buying for the future and taking advantage of inflation to make vacations cheaper.

By my calculations to return the deal to good standars the award for trading will have to double -Bet that won't happen.

Have you noticed recently that Marriott employees -especially Customer Services are getting rude and cranky. I guess the Directors are letting them down. So much for the gospel " Look after the employees and they will look after the guests."

• New Marriott Rewards Program - Pluses & Minuses
    lesliepamel Platinum

Jaybee, well said. In 1987 my ownership would give me the average of 7.857 nights + 2 flights. In about 1998 the change presented me with 5.92 nights. The 2009 Awards let me have 3.666 nights. During this time the admin charge to change my time for points has risen from £27 to £85.

I always thought We were in the arena where Marriott boasted "Timeshare - as good as our name." Well there name now is dirt! They are like crooked policticians, and amongst the worse of the timedhare sharks.

The value of timeshare is buying for the future and taking advantage of inflation to make vacations cheaper.

By my calculations to return the deal to good standars the award for trading will have to double -Bet that won't happen.

Have you noticed recently that Marriott employees -especially Customer Services are getting rude and cranky. I guess the Directors are letting them down. So much for the gospel " Look after the employees and they will look after the guests."

• New Marriott Rewards Program - Pluses & Minuses
    lesliepamel Platinum

Well said. In 1987 my ownership would give me the average of 7.857 nights + 2 flights. In about 1998 the change presented me with 5.92 nights. The 2009 Awards let me have 3.666 nights. During this time the admin charge to change my time for points has risen from £27 to £85.

I'm getting fed up with Marriott as well.

tjcnewyork Platinum

ElaineS

I'm in agreement with the concerns and issues you raise. Without fanfare, promotion OR notification, MVCI changed the policy regarding recognition of nights stayed at your home resort or exchanged through II towards qualification for Elite membership.  For reference, see:  Nights at Marriott Vacation Club Earn Credit Too!

For example, I exchanged a week in October through II.  When I checked Marriott Rewards activity in November, the 7 nights were counted to qualify me for the next Elite level.  MVCI owners - do check your Marriott Rewards account activity and make sure to report any discrepancy.  

Someone in this discussion said they owned 4 weeks of timeshare.  That's 28 nights towards Gold Elite membership that merits recognition for sure!

Postscript 4/23:  Today's announcement,  Announcing Elite Rollover Nights prompts the question if MVCI owner nights will be eligible and qualify for the promotion. That would be a huge boost to an underserved group of MVCI owners.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...