4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 9:02 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Rewards, Comparisons, Contrasts

aficionado Member 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Marriott Family.  For those of you who have been a rewards member for quite some time now I want to pose a few questions/comments.  As loyal Marriott guest what do you all think about Marriott ability to leverage themselves with their competitors? 

I'm disappointed that Marriott does not seem to outdo Hilton Honors which I am also a member.  You can become a Diamond member far faster than you would as an Elite member with Marriott.

Hilton Honors also allow you to double dip; meaning you accrue hotel points along with either rental or airline points-your choice.

I've mentioned this to Marriott and did not receive a suitable response.

I would certainly like full-service Marriott to waive internet fees for platinum members.  This should be a no brainer

• Re: Rewards, Comparisons, Contrasts
    nomadictravele Gold

I too am a Hilton Honors with Gold status.  This year I stayed one week at the London County Hall Marriott using the Marriott points and 5 nights using HH points at the Hilton Arc de Tiomphe in Paris and got to see the treatment received from both programs.  Hilton has no blackout there and required a constant 40k points per night.  Since i didn't have enough points for 5 nights, the HH program accepts transferring my Am Express Gold Card points to reach the five nights.   Even as Platinum Elite member on the Marriott program, breakfast was at the Concierge Lounge and was a barebone same old thing every day continental breakfast.  At the Hilton, even as Gold member, my family of three was given a full sumptious buffet breakfast worthy for any Platinum status. Shame on Marriott. After i return home, in 3 months time i generated 80K points on my HH Am Express card and left my Marriott Visa home.  Friends of Marriott, you see the trend!!!!!!!!By the way the Hilton Arc de Triomphe was a much better hotel and super location wheras the County Hall has superior location but the hotel itself is questionable. Now with the new reward program, CH Marriott will be a cat 7 or 8?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Interesting Observations, Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cclobbyist Platinum

I agree, my biz partner has Hilton Honors and he gets point on amex and hilton honor points on each stay, or he gets hilton points and points with I think Delta. Also yes I dont know Reward memebers have to pay for internet access.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/carousel_insiders.gif

"I agree, my biz partner has Hilton Honors and he gets point on amex and hilton honor points on each stay, or he gets hilton points and points with I think Delta. Also yes I dont know Reward members have to pay for internet access."

The two organizations have handled challenges very differently over the past 15 months since Aficionado's November 2008 post.  The comparison and contrasts are quite striking: Marriott received 9 awards at the Freddie Awards including Best Web Site, Best Elite Program and Best Customer Service.  Marriott Launched Elite Rollover Nights and made Lifetime Platinum Elite easier to achieve. In stark contrast,  HHonors devalued points by 20%+ and Hilton executives became involved in corporate espionage. 

Responding to their Elite members, Marriott just announced Free Internet for Gold and Platinum.  Is there room for further improvement?  Absolutely!  As Hilton has done, why not count Redemption Nights as Elite Qualifying Nights?  Why not differentiate Platinum Premier from Platinum and reward those who stay 100 nights or more with added benefits?

Last week HHonors announced surpassing 25 million members.  With a mere 28% more members, Marriott Rewards members appear to be more engaged with the Marriott brand.  When you have a moment, express your viewpoint on the brand that has the best loyalty program: VOTE! and join the conversation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...