There is NO way this is a category 5 hotel. Nice, clean but lacks MUCH for a Marriott Hotel. 4th of July 2012 stay~
* Breakfast buffet was very good (best part of our stay).
* Good service by staff at the front desk.
* Room was very clean upon arrival & nice furniture.
* Valet was fast but not free.
* Workout room.
* Due to bad storm two days prior to our arrival - only 1 elevator was working and we were on the 16th floor.
* No carts were available for luggage.
* Sleep quality was poor because we were promised double queen beds but they were full size beds.
* Poor value - Small room for the price.
* TV was partially functional. Serviceman came to look at it and said the SIM card on the TV was defective but never came back to fix it. I informed the receptionist when we checked out and she said that she had no idea what I was talking about. So, the next guest probably had the same problem.
* The drain plug in the bathroom sink was broken, serviceman came to repair it.
* Room was not cleaned, beds were not made, and towels were not changed out on the 2nd & 3rd day of our stay.
* No microwaves in the rooms.
* No dinner restaurant on site but lots of restaurants to each at if you walk or drive to them.
* No swimming pool on site for kids. There was only a average size hot tub for about 10-12 people.
* Location is not very good to walk to the boardwalk. It is dark and not safe to walk alone.
Recommendation: Stay at one of the larger hotels on the actual boardwalk (Revel Resort, Trump Plaza or Taj Mahal, Tropicana), if the cons of my rating bother you. If not, it is a nice place to sleep.
If my husband was not with me and the teenagers, I as a woman would not have felt comfortable walking to the boardwalk. There are a couple of run down buildings and a few bushes that you need to be cautious of as you are walking towards the boardwalk/ocean. The parking lot to the left belongs to the Marriott valet customers. Over all the area is safe as long as you are by the hotel but you wander off to the side streets, be careful. I do not you text and walk. Be AWARE~
Yes, They also had large presence on the actual boardwalk. Walking to the boardwalk from the Marriott during the day is not a problem. It is more concerning at night. My comments are to make people aware of the area not to scare them from staying at the Marriott. Although our family experienced some things we did not like, other families may not consider them a problem at all. Good luck, happy vacation~