5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2013 3:37 PM by techie RSS

Courtyard In Room Internet Connection

bwatt14 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

The in room wired internet connection at Courtyard hotels is supported by iBahn.  Everytime I connect I have to call in to the iBahn call center to have them manually establish my connection.  This process can take up to 30 minutes, but never less than 10.  After traveling this week, I have decided I am done with it- will not stay in a Courtyard again while traveling on business.  I want to see if any other Marriott faithful have to deal with this..?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Courtyard In Room Internet Connection
    aficionado Member 1 Reviews

I usually don't have a problem with the iBahn internet connection because they rooms usually have both LAN and wireless capability. I don't think its the hotel's issue so much as firewalls on your computer blocking the program. 

We should all be pissed that full-service Marriotts charge $12.95> per night for internet.  That's a bit outrageous considering what you pay for your home service monthly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bakerlegal Platinum 1 Reviews
    I agree with you and am plesed to see that other Platinum members do not like to pay for the Internet connection in Marriott hotels but get it free at Courtyards.  They force you to go to the lobby or the concierge lounge to get free Internet.  Why?  All they need to do is credit the bill for your Internet daily fee for Platinum members.  This on perk that would want Marriott Rewards members get to the Platinum level.

mstraveler Platinum 1 Reviews
    I had the same problem at all Marriotts that use iBahn until I realized that the VPN software I had installed on my laptop was stopping the connection.  I was not trying to connect via the VPN, but the VPN was active. As soon as I stopped the VPN software, I could make the connection without having to call iBahn.   The strange thing is that I make many Internet connections using many ISPs and iBahn is the only one I ever had a problem with and they could never tell me what the problem was.  I finally figured it out myself (grrrrrrr!)

gojka Platinum

Forget about fancy movies etc. The last two stays , Courtyard DC and residence Inn New Orleans, both had iBahn and I couldn't even get email. Staff was always nice and trying but they couldn't do anything, there just was no bandwidth. Occasionally would get on, then back off. And hint to Marriott staff, don't ever, ever again tell me to call technical support who will waste your time for hours changing your computer that can never overcome the lack of service in the first place. This is ridiculous and should be recognized by Marriott as a huge huge problem because I couldn't get my work done while at either hotel. Why can I go to Starbucks and get what I need, but at a Marriott ( one more night and I have lifetime Platinum so I have stayed at a lot of Marriotts) I cant even get on to do emails.

One outcome is that Ibahn is going to move me to other hotels, if not a Marriott then so be it, I have to be able to work on the road.

Marriott needs to solve this so that at the least basic work can be accomplished and not just make smiling excuses for the inadequate systems.

PS my expenses wont support paying more for internet, they will just say use another hotel meaning NOT a Marriott.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

From what I understand, iBahn has been a problem for many years.  However, there are some other problem providers too.  Some Marriotts are realizing that they need to solve this problem and getting excellent feeds (Marriott Atlanta Airport, Marriott London West India Quay, Marriott London Heathrow), and some are just not getting it.

We need to be more vocal about this apparently.

I agree with you about it being pointless to waste time with technical support.  It is not as if my computer decided to not work when I checked into the Marriott and magically fixes itself if I go to the office for a day or to Starbucks.

Apple must have recognized this Marriott problem in their iOS 7, because you can now abort app updates.  Previously, this was a problem as the internet was so slow at a California Residence Inn that my ipad locked up and couldn't download apps.  I actually had to drive to a Barnes and Noble so I could download the apps and get the functionality back!  Funny thing is, you can go just about anywhere and get internet better than in the hotels.  Just about anywhere at all!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...