2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2010 1:06 PM by cruiser292 RSS

MVCI points and the new system

cynthiav Gold
Currently Being Moderated
Ed: Scott has a good idea about points and the value of (or depreciating lack of value) regarding exchanging a week for points.  when we bought our vacation   week 2 years before the resort opened, the week was worth a total of 110,000 points, which doesn't even get us a week at another vacation club.  It would be nice if MCVI members received a little bonus here and there, or if our week's worth of "points" could be upgraded to thank us for our loyalty to the Marriott brand and the point system.  I can understand Marriott's desire to make 1 and 2 night redemptions of points more equitable, since we,too, would rather pay up front for a night or two and collect points than to use points for short stays.  If I give up my week for 110,000 points and it takes us 200,000 points to stay at another MVCI location, I am more likely not to do this vacation. Otherwise, the program changes make me feel like our loyalty is no longer of much significance to Marriott.  We are now only going to our home club once every two years because we like to go new places.  BUT, the time share exchange system requires belonging to another organization and paying for that privilege, plus there is no way to be spontaneous.  just a thought.
  • Re: MVCI points and the new system
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Dear Cynthia,

Based upon the automated viewing log, I'm the second person to view your note in five months. I hope you are well.  I'm responding with optimism that my note will trigger an automated update message that prompts you to return and better yet - respond.  Anyone else who happens to read this message is invited to comment.

We own multiple weeks with MVCI and think vacation ownership works.  We didn't buy points, we bought deeded real estate with the promise that it can be passed on to our children and grandkids.  We pay annual maintenance fees to ensure our villas retain their quality and value - because we enjoy them year after year.  When we trade, it is our expectation that the owners of the resorts we occupy take as much pride as we do in maintaining their villas.     

With multiple weeks, it's possible to rotate villas so as to occupy, exchange and trade for points every year.  This provides lots of flexibility and opportunities to experience the newer clubs as well as enjoy mini-vacations and weekend getaways.  Our loyalty depends upon Marriott's ability to deliver villas and vacations that the family can enjoy year after year.  It's not built upon Rewards points.

That said, I agree that MVCI owners deserve some type of reward or loyalty bonus.  According to Bill Marriott's April 17th blog,  MVCI celebrates 25 years and now tops 400,000 owners with a portfolio of 64 resorts.  With that many owners and resorts in the Marriott system, why do we still need to pay a membership fee and a transaction fee through Interval International?   Why not cut those costs out completely and integrate the Marriott Desk at II, Owner Services and Marriott Reservations into one? 

By reducing administrative costs, Marriott can give a Rewards bonus to owners based upon the number of weeks and years they have owned.  In fact, why not award a 50,000 or 100,000 bonus annually as a gift incentive when maintenance fees are paid? What do you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MVCI points and the new system
    cruiser292 Gold

I like the idea of earning points for MVCI resorts as well as trading from one Marriott owner to another and not having to exchange through Interval.  I think Marriott should look into controlling the internal exchange of Marriott resorts themselves.  I would think that loyalty to Marriott property would keep most owners within the MVCI properties and not external exchanges.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...