8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2009 1:04 PM by crussd RSS

Internet

soouthlyon Silver
Currently Being Moderated
Why do expensive hotels like main line Marrtiott charge for Internet access, when lower price properties like Hampton Inn provide it free?  This is always an aggravation to me, and causes me to stay at other chains whenever posssible.  At these prices, wireless internet in the room should be a basic feature.
  • Re: Internet
    nicxan Platinum
    I totally agree!  "lower" level marriotts provide free internet - so why not all!  And, last week there were a lot of posts re: rip-off internet, where did they go?  Is Marriott really listening

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kokoe2 Platinum
    This is a policy that continues to perplex me. Internet is free at Courtyard and at Fairfield, but not at Renaissance or Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

melhrman Platinum
    Amazing isn't it?  It almost like the wealthy stay at Marriott's and the poor at the Fairfield and Courtyard.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think Marriott has ownership in or a major stake in i-Bahn, the full service ISP, and this is a cash cow for the chain. We used to need the data ports for dial up remember, and the 800 numbers we used for access were free to call, there was no time limit.  Now at many places the 800 calls are time limited and cost something (as much as 2 dollars), and we don't need the data ports (even though they are still there.

By the way, there is a good reason not to use the wireless or some wired internet even if it is free.  This Cornell Study of 147 lodging locations found that most hotels had no Internet security or firewall protection for their guests. Using the Internet is like sending important by carrier pigeon over enemy terriitory:  business and personal data sent without any encryption or firewalls becomes vulnerable to hackers.

My advice would be connect with a virtual private network if possible and to try to use Web sites with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protection. Always look for key-required WPA encyrption for your wireless nets, and buy a certificate for security from Verisign and then encrypt all your emails.  Lastly, surf safely when in any Marriott hotel--the walls have ears!

nasc90 Platinum 1 Reviews
    Yeah I agree. Internet prices just went up at a Rennaissance I stayed at to 15 bucks. Thats going back in time like the old outrageous charges for phone use.... 15 bucks is pretty excessive if you ask me. Add it to the rate if you must, but having a separate fee just makes my corp travel office nitpick that much more.... sometimes causing me to have to stay elsewhere and maybe a non-marriott when factored in.

hkloban Gold

I saw Bill Marriott Jr. interviewed on CEO Exchange, last year and he was asked this same question.  The moderator was perplexed by the fact that the more expensive properties charge for Internet access and the lesser ones don't.  Jr. said that the policy was market driven and indeed a good source of revenue and if I'm not mistaken, said that customers were willing to pay for it.

Interesting to note that this week the entire Shangra La hotel chain throughout the world are now including free Internet access in all areas, in all hotels, for all rates from now on.  A bold move which perhaps others will follow.

travellot Silver

I'm with you -- the Marriott brand should offer this very popular service across all their brands. Makes no sense not to. Choosing a hotel with free internet is usually one of my requirements when I travel.  I book blocks of rooms for events we have at work, and usually choose Courtyards because of the free internet.

crussd Platinum
    Wealthy stay at the Ritz-Carlton where they charge even more for Internet access -- unless embedded in a Resort Fee.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...