8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 1:39 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Newark airport

nwdevotee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I will arrive at Newark airport in the early evening and have decided to spend that night at the Newark airport Marriott. The following day, we move on to NYC where our stay will be at the St. Regis (my wife's favorite) rather than the popular Marriott on Times Square. But my questions deal with Newark. And they are: Are there restaurants in the area of the Marriott, or within the Marriott, that are fairly to quite good, and aesthetic enough to warrant the necessary expenditure of time for two people whose bodies are still on Pacific coast time? I don't suppose there is much else to do in the environs of the Newark airport. One final question: What is the recommended mode of transport from there into NYC (the St. Regis is at approximately 5th Ave and 50th St.)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Newark airport
    ncinsider Platinum
    How was the Newark Marriott? The rates there are not too bad the weekend before Chirstmas. I may take a quick pre-christmas trip to NYC. Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

luf2travel Platinum
    Its great...you won't be disappointed. Ask for a room with a view of the runways...its just fun to watch the activity. Great pub type bar with good food.

ncinsider Platinum
    I stayed at the Renaisannce Newark. It wasn't bad, they were renovating so the rate was real good. It was a long process in getting into NYC...shuttle to airport, air tram to airport train station, NJ transit to Newark train station, PATH to NYC...

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Just spent one night at the Newark Airport Marriott - I'd recommend it:

• nice staff - I was warmly greeted as a platinum and thanked for my loyalty;
    • comfortable room with a fun, expansive view of the airport complex and the stevedoring operations;
    • I heard basically no airport or traffic noise - slept quite well;
    • surprisingly good dinner in the restaurant - pleasant staff, really good food;
    • super easy access from the airport - shuttle bus drivers were very nice and informative;
    • can't comment on the concierge lounge because it was a weekend; and
    • INSIDERS SECRET: from Terminal B, you can actually just walk to the hotel - cut directly across the parking lot - it takes LESS THAN 5 MINUTES, maybe 3 MINUTES - you have to cross a multi-lane street, but the cars are stopped by a toll booth, so it felt quite safe - I'm not saying it's legal, but it sure was EASY and FAST!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ssindc,

Great information!

Thanks!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott many times, and really enjoy the property.

The restaurant is good, but if I am really tired I order room service.

On my return from Norway and England this summer I was tired, and decided to stay at the airport.

Was surprised to find out they had a poolside barb-a-que.

Thought this was very nice of them.

At the airport there are many eating options now (EWR never use to have good eating options...but things have improved).  I spend mos t my time in terminal C, and below are a few that standout in my mind.

• "Grand Central Oyster Bar" which is the same restaurant as in NYC by the same name, and is very good.  My cousin who is quite the foodie and lives down the street from the NYC restaurant, eats there quite alot.
    • Vino Volo which one of my cruise friends likes alot
    • Gallagher's Steak House

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/12/newark.php

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

Did not know there was a Grand Central Oyster Bar at The Newark Marriott!  Thanks for sharing.  It was not there the last time I stayed there, so this is great news!  It is a real favorite of mine  Thanks-you!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Grand Central Oyster Bar is definately new!

I commuted on a weekly basis for many years, and this use to be a cafeteria style sandwich restaurant.

Feb 2012 on my way to Barcelona, it suddenly was the Grand Central Oyster Bar, and I remember my cousin raving about this place, so I had to stop and try the food.  It was excellent, though I can no longer eat the shell fish, I did enjoy my fish and chips.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...