2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 12:44 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Time to Change Chains?

sadday Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Ed, I am a platinum Marriott member, and I know I could have stayed at any hotel chain, but your rewards program is what really set you apart from other chains. I am saddened by the changes that your company has made, and I am not sure that Marriott will be my hotel chain of choice in the future. What really upsets me is that you have done so much to get a strong following of travelers, and now you are going to throw it all away. I can't imagine that this is really going to save Marriott millions of dollars, but I can assure you that you are going to lose clients based on this decision. I feel cheated.
  • Re: Time to Change Chains?
    mandie Gold
    I agree.  I have made a decision to stop making the Marriott chain my choice of hotels.  I am going to use up my points within the next year or so and move on to other properties that value their client base.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Hooray for Platinum Overide
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Mandie

Thank you for being courageous to post your disappointment.

Recently, I had to renew my automobile insurance policy and came to realize that I've been doing business with Marriott ~longer~ than I've been a policyholder with my present insurance carrier.  When I call, the insurance agent never fails to thank me for insuring with them for 24 years.  During this period, insurance premiums have not dropped. Nor is there any expectation that they should.  If there's any reward, it's a good driver discount.  But the reward mandates my active vigilance everytime I'm behind the wheel.  I wouldn't consider switching providers because my carrier's service is extremely attentive and responsive when I have a question about coverage or an insurable event occurs.

The parallel to Marriott, sad to say, is less striking. 

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/m/miabh/miabh_phototour14_s.jpg  View from the Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront

Postscript 4/14:  I'm delighted to eat my words.  Yesterday I tried to rebook a reservation for my daughter on points and ran into 'capacity control' issues that stumped Platinum Elite.  The Elite line required the GM's approval to do a "Platinum Overide". Happily, the reservation is booked using points, my daughter is upgraded to an oceanfront king room and I'm a hero!  Hooray for Platinum Overide.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...