11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2015 11:42 AM by iahflyr RSS

Military rates for Military retirees

ragmannv Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Would it not be nice for Marriott to reward those who have retired after completing their military service, by allowing them to access the government and military rates?

• Re: Military rates for Military retirees
    tybronika Gold 2 Reviews

As a military retired person who does and oversees a lot of travel at my current job, Marriott lost most of my business and a lot of my company business when they stopped allowing retirees to receive the military rate.  It is much cheaper to stay elsewhere now, even though I would prefer to stay at the Marriott - the Marriott cost now exceeds what my company is willing to pay for lodging.  I think this was a terrible move by Marriott and is costing them a lot of money, because military retirees can always go somewhere else that still gives them a military discount.  It may not be as nice, but most retirees are not rich and they go where they can afford.  Marriott just priced a whole customer base away from their hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

So even with a retired ID card you are not able to use the gov't or military rate?  HMMM interesting as I thought a friend of mine who is retired military was able to use those rates at Marriott, maybe I dreamed that?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Most rate rules do not specify AD only...only that a government issued ID is required.  I normally find the AAA or senior rates acceptable, though not normally as good as government rate, but I don't have to be concerned with being challenged by the front desk.  Not the way I want to start off any stay.

That's what I thought.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I hear you nuhusker, but in my experience at least 90% of the time these front desk folks don't ask for any proof.  Not bad odds.  I have presented my Army Discharge Card a few times and it has been accepted.  I have also presented my Deputy Sheriff (retired) creds and they have been accepted (it's something about the badge, I guess).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

bpelican

I have used by law enf creds many times to obtain the state gov't rate, which is often less than the fed rate.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

This would be a great idea, ragmannv.  I actual have done this a few times, but it would be nice for Marriott to make it official.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hi ragmannv, this is a great discussion you've started. I've passed on your suggestion to the greater team. Thank you for sharing this constructive post with the community.

All this talk raises a question why a Federal Employee doesn't get a Retired ID card like Retired Military?  I want my card darn it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...