2 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2009 3:19 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

New Rewards Shame

jerryb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
As a long standing Platinum Elite member,I am very disappointed at Marriott's new reward policy.  This is just a devaluation of our rewards points.  What I resent is that Marriott presents this as an improvement.  This certainly is an insult to the intelligence of your frequent guests.  At least when some of the airlines raised their reward point costs they didn't try to disguise it as an improvement.  Most of us who travel on business a lot, use the reward program for extended hotel stays during leisure trips (i.e. a week).  By my arithmetic such trips will now require 50% more points.  I have always gone out of my way to stay with Marriott, but now I'm going to look into the rewards programs of your competitors and see about switching my brand loyalty.
  • Re: New Rewards Shame
    msptraveler Platinum

I completely agree!  It's too bad that Marriott tried to disguise this as i beneficial change to its members.  Reality is it actually requires us to burn more points to get the exact same benefit.  Even with the increase in Platinum points, I believe it will still be worse for the way most of us use our points.

I like Marriott, and don't have any plans to switch loyality with this change, but if there is another one like it then I most certainly would need to reconsider where I spend 125+ nights a year.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Rewards Shame
    tjcnewyork Platinum

jerryb

"Most of us who travel on business a lot, use the reward program for extended hotel stays."  Six months have passed since your comment, and a whopping 88% of the respondents to the survey question, "Have you extended a business trip for leisure?" agree with you.  In that time, prices at the pump rose to over $4/gal in NY across all brands. Now, thank God, they have rolled back to slightly over $2/gal and road trips make sense again.  Yesterday, I had to fork over 50,000 points for 2 nights at a Residence Inn for leisure. That's 50% more and definitely NOT an enhancement. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...