5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2009 1:08 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Useless to me

joeboston Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I haven't used any Marriott points in two years because of the smoking ban. The only thing staying at a Marriott would get me is a $250 fine, even if I didn't smoke in the room because I would smell like smoke, therefore, the hotel would assumed I smoked there.

Try being a little more open or continue to lose business to IHG, Four Seasons, Taj, Mandarin, Hilton brands and others whom still offer smoking rooms.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Useless to me
    scgamecock Platinum

I am OK with the ban.  I'm sure they looked at the numbers and saw that to clean a room after a smokers been in it, or next to it for that matter costs as much as to lose the handful of people that still think smokings cool.

I am not for any type of law in this way, but am happy to see merchants choose.  If Marriott is useless to you, then why are you trolling their message boards?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joeboston Silver

I only bring the issue up because if nobody else does, Marriott will think it is fine to continue this smoking ban. I do have MP's to use, however, I am honestly too nervous to use them. Look at the multiple complaints on Marriott hotels where Smokers have been accused of smoking in Marriott rooms because they left a lighter, lingering smell from clothes or empty pack of cigarettes in the room. Now who wants to deal with getting a $250 charge off a bill 2 weeks after staying?

There is a market for smoking rooms. IHG, Hilton, Four Seasons have already expressed their interest in keeping smoking rooms. Luxury end hotels such as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Taj, and IPrefer Hotels always offer smoking rooms. Choice hotels are still dominately smoking with the exception of the Comfort Suites chain.

I always enjoyed Marriott resorts and Residence Inn brands respectively, and wish to see them mend their ways. Possibly they could lighten the ban on the Balconies (Courtyards, Resorts) first, as "outside" is "outside" irregardless of the location itself. If the smoking area is in the parking lot, its far more dangerous out there for guest security as well the simple fact you are still on Marriott property.

Since I left Marriott for other chains with smoking rooms, I've discovered the booking process varies and the one which stands on top is IHG. They clearly show what types of rooms/smoking preferences are available in inventory. If a typical 7 Floor Marriott had one smoking floor, 15 rooms, it would be incredibly easy to throw that on the booking website. If someone goes to book Marriott and it shows only NS rooms or SMK rooms left, there would be minimal issues. I've stayed at Four Seasons, Clearly NOT on a smoking floor, but have been given ashtrays. Now what does Four Seasons do to dufumigate the room? Obviously, losing my business wasn't an option to them when I booked. And I didn't bother anyone (That I know of) that I smoked on a non-smoking floor.

it's not hard, but, if they want to lose business like mine, so be it. There are cheap hotels (Fairfield Inn=Holiday Inn), business styled hotels (Courtyard=Embassy Suites) and Resorts (JW Marriott=Four Seasons) which will take my request.   

joeboston Silver

Well since Marriott doesn't seem to care about smokers, I won't either.

I'll be trading in my MP points for a gift and getting a Hilton based credit card. They still offer smoking in ALL of there chains.

seasonedtraver Platinum

Thank God they have this non-smoking policy.l  Im so tired of stepping into a smelly stale room in other hotel chains after a smoker has been in there.  I applaud Marriotts policy and hope they continue it for everywhere. 

Somehow Marriott has managed to retain its quality while other chains have disintegrated.  Keep it up!

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://www.nobutts.com/signs/images/S1478_150.jpg

joeBoston

Fortunately for Marriott's smoke-free policy, there are that many more guests, vacation owners, Marriott associates and their children and grandkids that can feel welcome, comfortable and secure that Marriott complies with the law.  Smoke-free legislation is designed to protect the public and Marriott's policy has enormous support from more than 85% of the business and leisure travelers they host as guests as well as the hundreds of thousands of associates who work for Marriott.

Given strict enforcement at Marriott properties, the Room Recovery Fee of $250 imposes a very stiff penalty.  On top of higher taxes paid at retail to support a smoking addiction, that ~is~ a double whammy for smokers and the tobacco industry.

Marriott first introduced a smoke-free policy 3 years ago.  Across the Marriott brand portfolio, smoke-free policy implementation does vary depending upon the state and country.  Some are stricter than others.  See: Re: AMS-Ode to the Last Puff? for references to other posts about this subject.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...