11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2009 5:58 PM by iestrikesback RSS

Hawaii

911man Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Planning my first trip to Hawaii. Any suggestion on which island and Marriott property. Must have a golf course included.

• Re: Hawaii
    nbanfield Platinum 1 Reviews
    Our first trip of Hawaii included a sampling of 4 different islands.  Since then, we have returned to Maui 3 times, Kauai twice, and the big island 4 times.  We do not enjoy Oahu as much -- too populated.  Our trips are based more on the island than the hotel.  The Kauai property is our favorite, but the hotel on the Big Island was just renovated and is a great location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dawnmre Gold
    We have stayed at the Maui Marriott 4 times and been to Kauai also.  All Hawaii islands have excellent high quality golf but it is very expensive.  If you are looking for action the Maui location is right on a busy beach with a walkway right along the water and lit at night.  Kauai is much more relaxing but the property is wonderful.  You can't go wrong with either property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

moejoe Platinum
    Try the Wailea Resort in Maui. Absolutely oustanding and there are 3 golf courses almost within walking distance and have some specials usually around $90.00. This year I have stayed at Marriott 165 days and this is the best Marriott there is. There is a mall about 1/2 block away with some nice restaurants, Ruth Chris steakhouse and Cheeseburgers, plus others. There are also some great restaurants in Kehei which is 5 or 6 miles away. Great area.

daddio42 Platinum

In total agreement with the other posters.  We have been to the Maui Marriott, Kauai Marriott, one Marriott on Oahu, and the Marriott on the Big Island.

We enjoyed the Kauai Marriott the most and the Maui Marriott 2nd.  As discussed previously, the Maui Marriott has more activities and the Kauai Marriot is more for relaxation.  We were very disappointed by the Marriott on the Big Island (Old Outrigger Hotel) and although the Marriott on Oahu was nice, Oahu was too populated.

courtyardian Gold

The Marriott in Wailea is fantastic. Spent a week there in Nov and was wowed. Our focus was laying by the pool and relaxing, and the new infinity pool is perfect for that. Very low key, and the best view you can get. Great walking an snorkeling nearby.

The reviews made this place seem sketchy, but I had nothing but a great experience. Also, based on the reviews, I expected to get the hard-sell for an upgrade -- even though I'm Platinum. Not only was I pleasantly surprised, but stunned with the 2-room, ocean-front suite to which they upgraded me at no extra cost. 

The only downside I could point to is that the spa left something to be desired. My wife and I both had massages, but the way they handle the charges seemed very bait-and-switch to me (it's not owned by Marriott). It all turned out to be correct, but just make sure you know what you're going to pay before you agree to the service.

Lastly, the staff was fantastic, and the concierge extremely helpful. If you're looking for elegant but low-key relaxation, this is the place.

retired Platinum
    Kauai Beach Club, Kauai Beach Cllub and Kauai Beach Club. In that order. Two golf courses next door, try Kauai you will love it. Oh, did I mention the Kauai Beach Club?

dwlhollis Platinum

Hi-

The Ritz Carlton at Kapalua Bay on Maui has a PGA Tournament course. I prefer Kuiai where there are PGA class courses at Poipu and public courses as well.

Hope this helps.

David Lowrance  

psualum Gold

There isn't a more beautiful island than Kauai and the Marriott Beach resort in Lihue.  There is a lot to see, great water activities, good food.  You cannot go wrong there.  Been twice for a week each time and would go back again.  If they still have it, do the Movie Tour.  It takes you all around the island, learn about the history and see the sights where over 50 films were made on the island.

Enjoy

seattlite Platinum

I live in Hawaii and have traveled the islands extensively.  My best recommendation to you is hit up Kauai if you want to relax and/or hike, Maui if you want some adventure heading over to Hana or up Haleakala, and the Big Island if you'd like some of the absolute best snorkeling you'll ever have and enjoy seeing some very different climates all within a hald day's drive.

The only Marriott on the Big Island lives in Waikoloa, which is rather out of the way, but it's a nice place.  Plenty of usual suspects on Maui and Kauai. 

Oh, hit up O'ahu only if you're interested in some of the US historical/war sites, the Polynesian Cultural Center, or some really huge surf on the north shore (winter only).

be well, steve

richmondrumble Platinum

I am planning a trip with my wife to Hawaii in March/April of 2009. I have a 7 night stay certificate that I payed with points for any hotel in Hawaii. So my question is Which Island? and then Which hotel?

After reviewing some options, I liked Wailea Beach Resort, Maui and JW in Oahu. Seems like JW is a very nice property and better than Wailea. Any thoughts/suggestions on these or any other properties and islands

Thanks,

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
    We just returned from a vacation using points at the Wailea Marriott in Maui, and liked it a bit better than the Kauai Marriott, but you can't go wrong with either one.  However, we prefer the island Kauai for the more "tropical" feel, smaller crowds, less driving and somewhat cheaper restaurant prices.  We cannot speak for the JW on Oahu.  Enjoy!