34 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2017 9:57 AM by raywood RSS

Pet Friendly??

nodaker Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I recently took a road trip  from ND to Florida.  We are very loyal Marriott customers and prefer to stay at  Fairfields or similiar Marriott properties. On the return trip we brought a dog back with us from Florida and found that Marriott propeties were not very pet friendly.  The hotels that we called had limited rooms that allowed pets and charged a surcharge of $150!

Why not allow pets and charge additional fees only if the pet causes damage? La Quinta has that policy and that is where we will stay until Marriott changes their policy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pet Friendly??
    babsil Silver

Good Evening,

We travel almost everywhere with our small chihuahua and are great Marriott fans - HOWEVER now when we travel with the dog, we are unable to stay at Marriott due to the high fees.  They say that it is due to the necessity to steam clean all carpets and furniture in the rooms after a pet leave.  I highly doubt that they do that as we have stayed in a room after another pet has been there and it has not been cleaned thoroughly

Babs 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

friarfaithful Gold
    Yes...I find that Marriott hotels are not very pet friendly.  Even the Residence Inn charges  enormous cleaning fees.   I am silver member who average 30 stays a year.  I find it frustrating that I often have to stay at Hilton properties which are much more pet friendlier.

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

Being a person that is allergic to cats, I purposely stay at Marriott family hotels that do not allow pets OR clean after a pet has stayed there (i.e. - why the $150 fee to clean afterwards).

I recently stayed at a Marriott Hotel that does not allow pets, yet, the room I was assigned clearly had a cat in the room prior. First sign was my skin started itching and then starteg breaking out in a rash.  I called front desk, and service tech came up, removed the filter on the AC unit and there was proof: cat hair.

While I am sympathetic to pet owners, if a hotel says "no pets" or there is a fee for pet cleanup, there is a solid reason for it.

I have no sympathy for people who violate the rules or aren't honest and pay for the cleanup afterwards(which is more than a pet having an accident on the rug).

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

glew,

I just stayed at a Residence Inn I knew I could smell something but I could not figure out what it was or where it was coming from. Then one night I sat on the couch to watch a show on TV and it became very apparent that the smell was coming to my left in the corner of the room. I then realized it was pet smell. I have had a few pets in my lifetime, and I know the smell a dog leaves behind. I don't mind pets, just the smell.

karen457 Gold 2 Reviews

I agree...I am a loyal, long-time Marriott consumer. Recently, at 55, I have become a dog owner. I have a very small, quiet, non-shedding, hypoallergenic miniature schnauzer that stays in a crate or a puppy play pen whenever she travels with my husband and me. She does much less damage to any hotel room than the average three year old (I've had one of those, too). I am absolutely SICK about Marriott's policies against pets and I hate rules being made for all. I, personally, am allergic to cats...so I understand certain types of restrictions. Why not put weight limits, breed limitations, room limitations, etc. in order to retain customers? I would be happy to travel with and produce documentation regarding when my dog had her shots, flea treatments, etc... It would be SO easy to put a refundable pet deposit on someone's credit card when they checked in...that could be removed after housekeeping verified that no damage was done! I'm afraid I'll have to make a switch as well!

b_dub Platinum 1 Reviews

I am completely frustrated now with Marriott.  I was just hit with a $75 pet fee that I was never informed about.  I'm used to having to sign something at checkin that acknowledges the fee, but that wasn't the case at the Renaissance Asheville.  I also did not have a fee listed on the bill I received prior to checkout!

I just got off the phone with Marriott customer service and that as a platinum member I should know better!  I just can't believe it!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

You actually got a good deal!  Most Marriotts we've stayed at with pets charge $100-$150 per stay for a pet.

Not all display the pet fee on their desks, but I believe their websites typically do state whether or not pets are allowed, any size limits, and the fee that will be charged.  It's just a part of traveling with pets.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I feel for the pet owners out there that like to travel with their furry friends. I'm not sure what the answer to this is, but I'm interested in reading more suggestions.

eeverett Silver

Also looking for a true pet friendly location. Thanks for any input.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I believe the Residence Inns are pet friendly. 

To comment on the other (long ago) posts.... Unfortunately, I have terrible allergies which can lead to a full blown asthma attack so I cannot stay at pet-friendly hotels. 

sunlover50 Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife and I have the same kind of concerns.  We have very strong allergies to dog and cat.  We used to travel a lot and we already stayed more that 800 nights at Marriott Hotel.  Now, with the Marriott "pet friendly" policy especially on Town Place and Residence, we are looking for another brand of hotel.  We can't find any Marriott hotel with kitchenette without pets.

So any suggestion for a "Pet Free" hotel similar to Residence will be appreciated.

cwilliams313 Platinum

We have the same issue with our puppies.  We normally only travel with them over the holidays and not on a regular basis.  We have found the same issue with Marriott with either not allowing the pets or the high fees.  We started staying at Candlewood Suites or anything in the IHG family and have been doing that for 5+ years.  The hotels are clean, allow pets, have small fees ($25) and have kitchens in most of them.  We did stay at a Marriott property in Wichita (in an emergency snow storm) that allowed the pups (because I was Platinum Elite) for just that one night.  We have not been disappointed in any of the IHG hotels that we stayed at and it gives me something to compare the Marriott hotels to.

missgee,

I myself am allergic to most cats and certain breeds of dogs. It is very difficult to remove pet dander. This probably explains why some hotels only allow a certain block of rooms for pets, but in your case it sounds like you cannot even be in the same hotel where pets have resided. It is a tough call for Marriott. I am sure nobody wants to alienate pet owners, but they also do not want to keep non-pet owners either.

1jester1 Member

Choose Kimpton properties when traveling with your pet(s). Being that they are a small family owned company, there are not as many of them around the country like other hoteliers. However there are NO PET FEES! They also don't discriminate about the breed, size or type of pet you have. Here's their link in case you or anyone else wants to check it out.

Pet Policy at Kimpton Hotels | Dog Friendly Hotels

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm sorry to contradict some of you, but everyone in the world seems to think "my little puppy/cat/canary/snake/komodo dragon is just fine and never bothers anyone". They do. I will not stay in a hotel if pets are allowed. I don't need the noise ("My pet is not noisy", yes it is), the smell ("My pet is not smelly", yes it is), the annoyance ("My pet is not annoying", yes it is). I view pet owners very much the same way I view smokers. You don't think you are bothering others, but you are. We have 2 dogs at home. When we travel (which is often) they stay with the neighbor. Always. It's just courteous to do it that way.

1jester1 Member

I do understand your concerns John, but the responsibility all falls on the 'pet(s)' owner(s). Granted we don't travel with our two dogs in tow all the time, but when we do they are freshly bathed and we bring both their crates and freshly cleaned bedding. Also when both dogs are in their crates they have their bark collars on to stop or at least prevent them from barking at the top of their lungs.

Now on the hotel side of things most properties have designated areas or floors that are STRICTLY for pets and their owners to prevent such things that you're discussing. It's sad and disappointing that you seemed to have such a horrible experience during your hotel stay where ever that was. I personally just stayed at a hotel that allows pets of all types and there were dogs throughout the property and at night my husband and I didn't hear a pep from any of them. Guess we're just lucky.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Unfortunately, many pet owners are not as considerate as you are.  That's why folks like John & myself prefer people friendly properties.

mmadden2 Platinum

We are currently living in a Residence Inn where I hear yippee dogs all the time. I very much dislike the sound of dogs barking. For the record, none of the pet fee comes to me as a "we're sorry for the inconvenience of having to listen to someone else's noise".

Management will NEVER do anything on it's own unless another customer complains for fear of upsetting the pet owner. They don't patrol the hallways looking for rule breakers, they stay down by the desk, far from the guest rooms where any potential problems can be kept out of sight, out of mind. The policy seems to be- any guest can do anything they want until another guest forces management to correct an issue that breaks a Marriott rule.

I find it ridiculous that it's up to me as a paying guest to decide whether or not to be the tattletale joy-kill.

I think pet friendly hotel rule should be... people 100% first, if your dog can be quiet then it can stay, if it barks? bye bye.

cwilliams313 Platinum

I agree completely.  I have 2 pups, and even someone else's barking dog whether I have mine with me or not is not something I want to listen to.  It would be nice if there was a way to separate the rooms.  When I am traveling on business, it don't want to hear any of it.  I like the quiet so I can decompress from the day.  Lucky for me I stay regularly at a property that accommodates my requests and sticks me way away from the foreign groups that come in for the Kia plant and the family reunions!  I also heard that they are revamping the Marco Island Marriott to have an "adult only" section.  Might have to check that out......

1jester1 Member

This is why I choose to stay at Kimpton properties when traveling with my pets. Being that they are a small family owned company, there are not as many of them around the country like other hoteliers. However there are NO PET FEES! They also don't discriminate about the breed, size or type of pet you have. Here's their link in case you or anyone else wants to check it out.

Pet Policy at Kimpton Hotels | Dog Friendly Hotels

nodaker

I agree with you about the fee, it would be nice if Marriott could just consider it a non-refundable deposit if the pet causes damage. Related to limited rooms for pets, some people have allergies to pet dander which would make their stay uncomfortable, thus, I understand why Marriott hotels may limit the number of rooms that pets can stay in. I will say that I stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn one time where there were two dogs in the room across the hall that barked every time the door to the room was opened or when I walked by the room. While I am a easy going person, I was in he hotel for four days so it got tiring after awhile. I believe that Marriott does a good job at being considerate of guests who have pets, and perhaps it would do good to revise the non-refundable pet fee to a refundable deposit after the room has been inspected for damages.

loyaltoapoint Platinum

I agree with you about the fee.  $150 is an absurd amount.  I am allergic to cat and dog dander so that is why I have a toy poodle that does not shed hair.  I had an interesting conversation with the hotel operations manager at a Residence Inn this week who spouted the corporate line.   I respectfully told this manager that I do not believe ANYTHING is done to the room when I leave with my pet other than normal housekeeping and certainly $150 in resources are not expended by the hotel.  Secondly, being a long time Marriott customer and Platinum Elite member I have had this fee removed in the past by the manager when I made a polite request.  This time I was told the removal of the fee was a one-time situation at that hotel and therefore I could not expect at repeat credit at the same facility.  Again, absurd logic from a person who cannot think outside the box in my opinion. 

I have not thrown in the towel on this one.  Bill Jr. will hear from me in response to his decades old inquiry, 'What do you think?'

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Im not allergic to animals or anything but i would prefer them off the beds or couches of where im staying. The only thing that bothers me is that more and more people get through the no pets policy and fee simply by stating that the dog is a service dog when its clearly just a pet. It sucks for hotels because they have to abide by very strict rules on what you can and cant ask for regarding service animals or fear getting sued by an actual service animal owner. Luckily "emotional support" animals have been scrapped off the service animals which is what many would say their dog was for.

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

None of the answers in the "pro-pet" lobby here truly address the allergy concern issues.   For me, someone bringing a pet into the room has parallels to someone smoking in the room.  Indeed the pet doesn't just create an annoying/offensive odor, it can result in medical issues for following guests if the room is not deep cleaned.

It seems entirely appropriate that a hotel needs to take a stance.  It is either "pet-friendly" and not deep-clean rooms (in which case allergy sufferers will not stay there) or they are "pet-unfriendly" in which case theey need to deep clean rooms and, unfortunately, this means charging a fee.

Talk of hypo-allergenic pets is not a complete solution.  I am allergic to the dander so unless your cat is skin free as well as hair free, I'm going to be allergic!  I have been into homes which have been pet-free for months and had an asthma attack due to residual dander in the carpet.   So to the comments above about everyone thinking that their pet doesnt' bother anyone - these owners are simply wrong.  While allergies exist your pet is a medical hazard which hotels need to prepare for.  Do they want a lawsuit when somebody dies from anaphylactic shock from being in a room previously occupied by somebodies, undoubtedly, adorable fluffy ball of love?

To me, this then comes down to the pro-pet lobby arguing that a hotel chain should value pet owners more than allergy sufferers.  This is a fair debate similar to whether bars or restaurants should be non-smoking or not etc...etc...

We can also debate whether an unethical corporate has a motivation to take the fee and not perform the clean.  We can also debate whether the fee should be a realistic fee for the service of deep cleaning or whether the fee is also set to be a deterrent similar to the charge for smoking in a room.

However, we can't simply suggest that Marriott is being unfair to pet owners etc..etc..

shooter Gold

We appreciate the fact that Marriott discourages pets in the hotel.  We will not stay at the Ritz or the Four Seasons every again because of the pet rules.    We had pets always as our children grew up but never took them to a hotel or motel, because it would be inconsiderate of others just like smoking on airplanes and in public buildings etc.  If nice folks like to travel with their pets, there are dozens of very nice hotels and motels that allow pets.   So everyone can be happy.   Be critical of each other for personal likes and dislikes is a waste of time.  We all have a right to our opinions, likes and dislikes.

Enjoy

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm perfectly fine with charging a "sanitation fee" for pets provided the sanitation part is actually done. There's been quite a few places that charge fees and the money definitely doesn't go to extra cleaning in the rooms.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

While I sympathize with pet owners who need a place to stay with their pets, I am most concerned about those of us, my wife & I included, who are allergic to many dogs and cats.

One should be able to specify that they require a room that has not been occupied by any dog or cat.

The idea of separate blocks of rooms for those who travel with pets is fine, just as long as it does not interfere with other peoples right to breathe pet free air.

drpepper Platinum

I am a PE member and have been a MR member since 2005.  My family and I have stayed at Marriott brand hotel all over the world.  However, as an active duty military member with two (older) dogs, it is getting unaffordable for me to stay at Marriott hotels due to the exorbitant pet fees charged at each hotel.  This past summer, the military moved my family from the Washington, D.C. area to Omaha, NE.  For this military move, we stayed at Marriott hotels in Springfield, VA; Morgantown, WV; Chicago, IL; Des Moines, IA, and Omaha, NE.  Each of these hotels charged a $100-$150, non-refundable pet fee (even at one hotel where we stayed less than 8 hours)!  This would have added an additional $550 expense to our military move, which is not reimbursable by the government.  These pet fees are completely an "out of pocket" expense for military members. Even as a PE member, some of the hotels were unwilling to waive the fee, saying it was a direct transfer of the charge they pay to have the carpets "professionally" cleaned once we check out.  I take exception to this since I have firsthand experience/knowledge that the carpets are NOT professionally cleaned after each pet stay.  So this pet fee appears to be a way for hotels to "pad" their bottom lines at the expense of pet owners.  Although two of the hotels we stayed at during our military move did waive the pet fee (after we protested) this added hundreds of dollars to our moving expense.  These pet fees place an additional financial burden on military families, especially the junior ranks.  Only recently, these pet fees were refundable at most locations, now they are non-refundable.  Marriott needs to understand the added financial burden these pet fees place on pet owners AND the burden it places on military families who are relocating to a new assignment.  We cannot continue to pay these fees during military moves.  It does not make sense for people staying one night to pay the same pet fee charge as someone on an extended stay.  Marriott (corporate) should seriously consider waiving these fees for military members traveling on orders.  This would be another way to support the troops besides just offering a government rate.  In addition, there should be some benefit for being a MR (PE) member and consideration should be given for waiving these fees for MR members since we have obviously proven our loyalty to the Marriott brand.  Please contact me directly if you would like additional information.  Thank you.

mikelevitt Platinum

I'm wondering why stays in 5 different hotels were required for the 18 hour drive from DC to Omaha?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

At the risk of wading into a mine field, I must respectfully disagree.  First, I believe that if you feel that your pet expenses with regards to military moves should be covered, then your complaint would be more properly directed at Uncle Sam, who orders your moves, but further to that, I agree that the government is correct in not paying for your pet moving expenses.  Owning a pet is a privilege.  For all of us.

I'm not disagreeing with exorbitant pet fees.  I'm disagreeing with your argument regarding a free entitlement from a corporation due to your military status (which is mentioned 10 times in your post).  Again, owning a pet is a privilege and with it comes responsibility and expense, both which fall on the pet owner and the pet owner alone.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Remember that even if the dog causes no damage, extra cleaning is required after a dog or cat  stays in a room because here are many people who cannot tolerate any dog or cat dander due to allergies.

I'm not convinced that $150 is reasonable but some sugcharge should be imposed so that the room is usable for the general public.

Perhaps a $50 dollar charge and a $100 refundable deposit would be more appropriate.

drpepper Platinum

This is definitely more acceptable.

notorious-5150 Platinum

I wish more Marriott Properties were pet friendly and I do not have an issue paying a cleaning fee - if they do indeed steam clean after my stay.   As a Vacation Club owner - it would be nice to take our pet on a few of our vacations.   To my knowledge all Vacation Club locations do not allow pets.

raywood Silver 2 Reviews

I personally plan on letting Marriott know and thanking them for being a Pets Not Allowed hotel. I have nothing against pet owners or pets other than I dont want to sleep or eat in a room or on a bed were animals have been. Typically pet owners treat their pet like its a human..... having it sleep in or on the bed with them or on the furniture. A hotel is not going to clean a room to remove any and al, traces of a pet that was there from a previous stay. I find it strange that hotels that do allow pets almost never have pet free rooms or a seperate group of rooms for humans only. Most hotel search engines will let you search for a pet friendly hotel, but not a pets not allowed hotel. An issue that i have with tripadvisor is that you can search for pet friendly hotels but not pets not allowed hotels