8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 12:03 AM by retired RSS

Cancun...JW or Casa Magna??

indygirl Gold
Currently Being Moderated
My husband and I will be taking a family vacation to Cancun with our 2 daughters, ages 21 and 23 in May or early June. We have never been there and need some suggestions. I've read that the JW is more upscale and would probably be a better choice given our girls' ages. Any thoughts on this? We also need advice on places to explore, shopping, dining, etc. We are platinum members and will be using our points to stay free. Yay!! A lot of people rave about Club 91....is it possible to be upgraded free of charge even though we are using points? Or are the free platinum upgrades only for PAID stays? We are all looking forward to it........it's going to be an awesome vacation!  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cancun...JW or Casa Magna??
    texasgirl Platinum 1 Reviews
    I have stayed at both - and stayed at JW in Cancun 12 times - it is the BEST!  I've also stayed at Ritz in Cancun and JW is even better than the stuffy old Ritz.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

caribchic Gold 1 Reviews

Doesn't matter where you stay, JW or Casa--they're connected.  Our preference, and return trips are always to Casa- much more beautiful/convenient lobby, walkways and mezanine areas.   Easy access to JW pools, where your girls (ours are same ages) will meet others.  Best shopping, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany's, Dolce/Gabbana are a short bus trip away.   Once in the area, there are TONS of shopping options.  Senor Frog's, Hard Rock, Aqua clubs many others.   NO, I would not want my daughters to go and stay til the wee hours ALONE

centaur4 Platinum 1 Reviews
    JW......A little pricier, but worth it.  Will stay at the Casa Magna if the JW is sold out.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Since you will be using points, consider Marriott's announcement* on March 24th that will get you into CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

*  3 for 2 Special Offer

**  Participating Resort Locations

katherine27 Platinum

I am late in answering this....but the Club 91 "feature" is WELL worth it (Similar to Tradewinds in Aruba and Cloud Club in Arizona) but don't EVER think you can get it for free.  If you consume alcohol it is absolutely worth the 150 a night they charge or whatever it is now...I am not sure if kids are allowed there....many have changed the policy on the children.  For me, I am glad they have limited children's access as it is really an "upscale" experience....not an "all inclusive".  I would thinnk the Casa Magna would be better for kids....but thats just me.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Since your kids are older, I would recommend the JW, and pay the extra for Club 91. It is well worth the money, and makes for a very pampered stay. Unfortunately, it is never a complementary upgrade, but it is worth it in my opinion.

traveler2 Platinum

I also vote for the JW. We had a wonderful experience there. Love the pool and the staff is great. We walked through the Casa magna and at that time it felt a little dark and medievil looking and the pool could not compare. Perhaps it has changed though.

retired Platinum

JW gets my vote also, its worth the extra points for the weeks stay.