5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 5:48 PM by tef6178 RSS

A note of caution

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Normally I considered my Marriott Rewards account to be locked in cyber safety, but recently I discovered that someone was using my account number and name to make and then cancel reservations, none of which  showed up as 'no-shows' on my account. Had I not been called by a hotel to inquire, I might never have known about all this.

I also feared that someone with this insider knowledge might decide, in the absence of being caught, begin to draw down my points for merchandise or award stays.

The moral of this tale is that everyone should ensure that their account is not being tampered with:  consider password protection when you call in as an additional step.  The folks at Marriott Rewards can and will assist with this.  And check to see if there are mysterious things--such as new reservations, etc. appearing on your account.

You might also consider a monthly change to your password for online use. Simple steps but they keep us safe and secure as Reward members.

• Re: A note of caution
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    All good tips, thanks Stepping Stones.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

That's very worrying SS.  I did once have someone else's booking appear against my MR number but it was a one-off error.  The MR team quickly fixed it.  However, having been warned, I shall keep a watch on those valuable points!

How are sales of the latest novel going?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Your suggestions hold true for all sites.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I think monitoring the account on a regular basis is a great idea.

Also, I have my account set up to send email for any transaction.

I would recognize an email on a transaction that is not mine almost immediately.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Amazing....this thread is almost three years old but still timely!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...