13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2016 10:41 AM by mtnstr RSS

Hong Kong hotels

jeaimemarriott Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I've taken a 7 day travel package award (Cat 1-5) and need to pick between the Renaissance Harbour View and the Courtyard in Hong Kong. The Courtyards reviews are great on Tripadvisor, but its a Cat 4 to the Renaissance's Cat 5.

Any recommendations on which one I should go for? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

NS

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hong Kong, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
  • Re: Hong Kong hotels
    ybsheehan Platinum
    The Courtyard in Hong Kong has been recently renovated and is excellent.  The only drawback is that it is a little out of the way.  The service is very good and rooms are the quality I would expect at a JW in the US.  Some of the taxi drivers in Hong Kong do not know where the hotel is so bring a hotel card or printed address with you.  I have also stayed in the Renaissance Kowloon which is a little more convenient and also very good.  You can't go wrong with either of your choices.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We took your advice and stayed at the Courtyard.  

Likewise, we followed your advice and had the address of the hotel ready for the taxi driver.

We had a great time!  Thanks, 

ctheworld Platinum

We just returned from a trip to Bangkok and Hong Kong.  Although we usually stay at the JW Marriott, we stayed at the HK Courtyard just to have a completely different venue and choices for restaurants and sightseeing.The Courtyard was very nice and the staff friendly.  There is an Executive Lounge which serves breakfast and snacks in the evening and although it is not in comparison with the JW, the food and service are more than adequate.The location is a little removed from town but they have a shuttle and public transportation that is convenient.  The Renaissance Hotel is on the other side of Central.  If you are visiting Hong Kong for the first time, this may be a better choice.We have stayed there as well and it is a very nice hotel connected to the Convention Center.  There is a ferry that is very convenient if you want to visit the Kowloon side and the metro in Wanchai can take you everywhere.

All the Marriott/Renaissance hotels are great in Hong Kong.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Not sure if this is still a current thread (and it does highlight the challenge of the website), but I've stayed at both Hong Kong Renaissance properties, and both are wonderful hotels.

• Arguably, the Kowloon (New World) Renaissance is more convenient, particulary if you wish to use the (wonderful, convenient) underground - also, my colleague and I enjoyed a terrific meal in one of the restaurants;
      • I was recently looking online, however, and I did not see this property - is it no longer in the Marriott stable?
    • I prefer the Hong Kong Harbour View Renaissance for the views and the wonderful pool.

Location Brand Hotel
    Hong Kong, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
      arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear SSINDC,

Yes, the Renaissance in Kowloon no longer "runs" in the Marriott colours - to continue the metaphor. I believe it moved to another owner (and stable) around mid-summer 2010. My personal reaction was disappointment, not because it was a particularly great hotel, but because I very much enjoy the bustle of Kowloon whereas Wanchai can be a little disconcerting later in the day.

Thank you

spoiled_traveler Platinum

I know this thread is pretty old, but I am looking for advice between the JW and the Ritz in Hong Kong and thought I might be able to "poach" the knowledge from those on this thread.  It's a pleasure / sight seeing trip.

Thanks!

ninabrackeen Platinum 23 Reviews

Stay at JW, go have a drink at the new Ritz. The new RC is to high up that I felt the building swaying underneath me and if that bugs you, forgo it but visit for a drink during the light show. It is however, on Kowloon side. The lounge at the JW is fantastic. The hotel is in the best location imaginable and take the MTR everywhere. Staff is phenomenal.

I miss the Old colonial Ritz Carlton at Pacific Place and Kenny Lau the wonderful manager. It was my first of 25 stays in HK and its been an impossible act to follow.

I've stayed at both within the past 2 years. Ive been to HK 25 times ( seriously) in the past 10 years and always stayed in a Marriott property so I feel confident contributing here. The Courtyard is off the beaten path and not easily accessible. Thus, the cab que in the morning and peak times is very long. It is a no frills hotel in a city where EVERYTHING is about the hotel. The Ren is a convention center hotel but very accessible to Star ferry, MTR and has a newly remodeled , fabulous Concierge lounge and great views and the best pool in town, they share it with the Hyatt.

FYI, The JW Marriott Pacific Place is my hotel of choice, I've been there 3 times in the past year, if you can swing it do that. The concierge lounge rocks and its in admiralty station.If you can't do the JW., #2 is the Renaissance Harbour  View, hands down.

"Adequate" is the correct word to describe the Courtyard. It is clean, nice, good low level concierge lounge and food, but it's nothing to write home about. Nothing special except the nice people working there. Stay at the recently renovated Ren instead. NO choice in my book.You will have a MUCH more memorable stay at the Ren and MAKE SURE you ask for a room with a harbor view, it is THE best in HK. That alone is a reason to stay there.

I can definitely say, we won't be staying at the Courtyard, and probably not the Ren.  It will be the JW or the Ritz.  I have a reservation at both hotels now (both Harbor Views, both Premiere/Club rooms). 

Have you stayed at the Ritz?  How bad is the location?  I could stay in one hotel for one night, and then move, but my partner would hate me, we'll have a lot of luggage (35 day trip, most in one room on a ship).  I love the idea of the worlds tallest hotel.

Thanks again.

I think you will be more comfortable at the JW but the Ritz is probably great, it does not occupy the entire building, only the top floors. If its only a few nights, do the Ritz as long as you have sea legs.

I'm torn, yes only 3 nights.  I know it's not the entire building.  The tallest hotel (entire buildnig) is the JW Dubai, and is definitely on my list of places to visit.  We'll be going from the hotel to a ship, for 28 nights, so why not start early

Why would we be MORE comfortable at the JW?  I'm looking for reasons, to help me decide, even though I do value your opinions, I'm trying to figure out what's shaped them.

Im more of a creature of habit and Im always mixing business and pleasure, and I've taken my boys with me and the JW fits our bill perfectly.The concierge lounge is a big drawing point for me and I like the view of Kowloon side and the harbor.  However, given your different circumstances, it sounds like the RC is better for you. If you want an exciting once in a lifetime experience, I would do the RC and Im sure you will absolutely love it. there is a bar at the top that is a popular singles place at the 8 pm light show time on weeknights, make sure to enjoy that while you are there.

mtnstr Platinum

We're first timers to Hong Kong (2 people) staying at the Renaissance for 3 days.  Can you suggest the best (and most reasonable $ wise) way to get to the Renaissance from the airport and return?

Thank you for your time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...