11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 6:10 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Sweet Home Chicago

keeptraveling Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm planning on using some Marriott Reward Points to go to Chicago in December. Traveling with me will be my 5 year old nephew and his Mom. Could anyone suggest the best Marriott hotel to stay at in Chicago and/or and fun events/sites? I'd love to do some Christmas themed events...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
  • Re: Sweet Home Chicago
    tominthebv Silver

The Marriott Magnificent Mile is the best one in Chicago.  Has a great concierge level & is right on Michigan Ave which is all lit up for Christmas.  All the big stores are located within walking distance. For a stay of more than a couple of days,  the Residence Inn at Water Tower Place (just off Michigan Ave.) is nice also.  Kids like Navy Pier & there is an outdoor skating rink at Millennium Park.  Daley Plaza has a Christmas village.  Chicago is beautiful at Christmas but if the wind is blowing, the cold can be bone-chilling!  Enjoy!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

murnau5 Platinum

Agree w/ tomintheby.  If you can't get Marriott at Mag Mile, there are quite a few w/in blocks (although haven't stayed at new Renaissance yet).  Macy's (nee Marshall Fields) has some fantastic Christmas displays and the Walnut Room (top floor) is a Chicago tourist institution for family outings.  4-6 blocks south and west- walk down State St and experience the "former" shopping heart of Chicago w/ Yuletide displays.  Also Kristkindlmarket in Daley Plaza has German crafts, foods- all related to Christmas.  lookingglass theatre typically has family friendly fare 4 blocks north- their plays often involve acrobatics and trapeze work and are very exciting!  Roughly across the street from there is Cafe Spiaggia (the less formal sister to Spiaggia) which has  incredible food accessible to all, young and old. 

The ice skating rink in Millenium park is also a blast w/ kids- about 6-7 blocks south.  The Art Institute is right there and then another mile south to the museum campus.

Basically, from Marriott Mag Mile (540N) you can have a blast for 2-4 days w/out ever taking a cab- everything is w/in a mile.  The afore mentioned Museum campus w/ the Field museum w/ all the dinosaurs is 1.5 miles south from you.  Also, Aquarium and Plantarium.  A good deal further south (bus, el, or metra for 7-8 miles) is Museum of Science and Industry, which has a German U-boat and a very cool coal miner ride.  Near U. of Chicago.

Also, a few blocks north and east of the hotel has Navy Pier which houses the Children's Museum.  

Enjoy!!! 

lhabitat Platinum
    Chicago is a fun town and I travelled there with my daughter on business and pleasure since she was three (about 18 years ago).  Marriott on Rush and Michigan is very good and so is the Residence on Walton.  Both are category 5.  Concierge lounge is not generally open on weekends, but the very nice full breakfast buffet at the Residence is 7 days.  If you are driving, parking is about 30 at either and on site for the Residence, diagonally across the street in a public garage for the Marriott.  Courtyard on Hubbard is category 4---if you do not plan to be in a hotel that much, the Courtyard would do and location fine.  Residence offers a two bedroom option if available.  Residence is farther north, but by Water Tower, etc. while the other two are closer to kids activities..Marriott on Rush has a nice indoor pool that kids love.  However, the public transportation (which is a good experience for kids) and taxi service make getting around the city very easy---the free trolley may also be operating during the shopping season.  Renaissance on Wacker is usually booked and I have not tried the new openings on River North.  Have fun!

saintrick Platinum

Great choice of a place to visit.  I've never heard anyone say they don't like Chicago.

I've stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Ave as well as the Residence Inn just off Michigan.  Both are great but I prefer the Residence Inn when traveling with the kids because of the kitchens and the meals.

Chicago has some awesome museums.  The Museum of Science and Industry is a MUST SEE!  Field Museum  is also great as is the auraium and plantatarium.  If you have girls you may want to visit the American Girl Doll Store - bring your wallet and book lunch reservations now.

Go to lunch at Ed Debevic's, burger joint with very entertaining wait staff.  Pizza at Gino's.  Unfortunately Macy's bought out Marshall Field's and their annual Christmas window display is now a thing of the past.  You should still be able to take in lots of holiday decor by just strolling down Michigan Ave and the Magnificint Mile - Enjoy.

chicagobound Platinum
    I have been staying in hotels in Downtown Chicago for the past 10 months, so I think I know the area pretty well.  If you are with kids, the best hotel is the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile at 540 N. Michigan Ave.  It has had a huge renovation about 6 months ago and is a great hotel.  Best of all it is in the heart of all the shopping in Chicago and is walking distance from over 100 restaurants.  No question this is your best bet.

virgoboss Platinum
    My husband and I planned a weekend getaway in Chicago last year and were pleasantly surprised by how well taken care of we were at the Renaissance.  We booked a standard room using award points and were upgraded to a lovely suite on the concierge level. The view of the city was magnificent...even if wintry.  The manager on duty even had a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine delivered to our suite. The location was ideal for convenient sightseeing.  We had a wonderful time and will book there again when we have the opportunity.

lorirobert Platinum
    We were just in Chicago last week, and stayed at the Springhill Suites on North Dearborne, it is shared with the Residence Inn.  Its less than a year old, and just a few blocks from the Mag Mile.  Our room was excellent, and the breakfast was great, as well as all of the staff.  They have a pool on the 27th floor- really neat.  I think it would do well for a 5 year old, as we have a 4 year old and said we would come back to stay there with him.

shebel Gold

We will be visiting the Residence Inn on the 26th of Nov., spending Thanksgiving in Chicago. My Daughter is away at college in Iowa and we are from the Detroit area, so we thought it would be nice to spend Thanksgiving by meeting in Chicago. We have four children, the youngest is four and we are exciting about this hotel, specially after reading some of the comments.

The pool on the 27th floor, is that pool used by both the Spring Hill and Residence Inn guests? Can't wait.

shebel Gold

We will be visiting the Residence Inn on the 26th of Nov., spending Thanksgiving in Chicago. My Daughter is away at college in Iowa and we are from the Detroit area, so we thought it would be nice to spend Thanksgiving by meeting in Chicago. We have four children, the youngest is four and we are exciting about this hotel, specially after reading some of the comments.

The pool on the 27th floor, is that pool used by both the Spring Hill and Residence Inn guests? Can't wait.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The Springhill Suites/ RI,

Are unique and so special for a family or group staying in downtown Chicago.  We liked the food, free internet, and the proximity to the attractions.

A Gem for the family! 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...