24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2009 9:38 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

elite benefits

bloombergtv Member
Currently Being Moderated

I like to stay at Court Yards but they don't upgrade anyone even Platinum elites. Most Courtyards dont even have more than 2 suites in the entire building. What is the point of staying at a Courtyard if you are elite and dont get the free breakfast or any benefits other than a bottle of water sometimes? Has anyone been upgraded or recieved any elite benefits at a Courtyard? The only reason that I stay at Courtyards is because I get a discount with my American Express card.  Will the new Court Yards offer anything? Has anyone been to any of the NEW concept versions of the Court yards?

• Re: elite benefits
    rubenbl Platinum

I am a Platinum Preimer Elite and rarely get upgraded to a Jr. Suite, when I do, it's because I have asked for it.  They usually tell me that they can only upgrade me to a King size room.  I know for a fact that there are suites available when I check in and have been told that they are saving these to sell at a higher price.  I also aggree that they should offer us a free continental breakfast.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

elitepro Member
    a reply to Pingreeman -

I wrote about this in my blog http://www.elitepro-travel.com Did they at least offer to move you to a suite while your family was there? I can understand it if they did not want to put you in a suite for 10 months but surely they could have put you in a suite for a while..But you are right about them not wanting to upgrade you if the front desk person does not think you are paying a high rate.I wrote about this in my    post earlier when I mentioned that this is especially true out of the USA. Most are good but some dont understand that they should look after their loyal guests even when they pay a low rate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    At the JFK airport Courtyard I was given the presidential suite, free breakfast for two, and treated like royaly:  it was an unusual and exhilirating experience!  Most times, a smile and no upgrades other than an occasional suite or jacuzzi room is the norm. 

travelvlaan Member
    I dont think that the new concept court yards offer free breakfast for elites. The quite new Courtyard that I stayed at in southern California did not. Has anyone been to the the newly renovated BWi Courtyard near Baltimore Washington International Airport in Baltimore, Maryland. This is the latest Courtyard hotel to feature the brand's brand new lobby concept and design

travelvlaan Member
    Sedona posted that ;  experience the same policy earlier this year.  Howver, I stayed at a Courtyard in Madison, WI where I complained about this practice and was told that Marriott changed their policy and now allows front desk personnel to upgrade a Marriott reward stay if asked and an upgrade is available.  I hope this is true.  When were you told they couldn't give you an upgrade on a reward stay? This is not true becase regular Marriott hotels have always given upgrades when using rewards points

travelvlaan Member
    Court yard does not upgrade but regular Marriott does but I hate it when they are not consistent about products. Sometimes a junior suite is one room and sometimes it is 2 rooms or just a diferent shaped room. You never know what you will get. RubinBL posted that he is Platinum Preimer Elite and rarely get upgraded to a Jr. Suite, when he does, it's because he has asked for it.  They usually tell me that they can only upgrade me to a King size room.  I know for a fact that there are suites available when I check in and have been told that they are saving these to sell at a higher price.

travelgator Platinum
    Good question. I would love to know what the corporate line is on this...but lets face it...most of the Courtyards are franchised. I believe management can treat upgrades however they want. At the full service I find they really do roll out the red carpet though. Just my .02.

bloombergtv Member

new format does not work. EDIT : I typed the above because I was so frustrated that I could not open some of the posts, but disregard becasuse the interface has not changed. I was mistaken.

I have been returning to this post to see if Marriott answers the post from travelgator about what the Corporate policy is on upgrades.

kokoe2 Platinum
    I have been upgraded many times to better rooms at Courtyard hotels, if they "Better" may mean bigger, or a suite, or a jacuzzi. It depends onthe property.

kokoe2 Platinum

@ PINGREEMAN

If you are at same property 5 nights a week for 10 months, you should

1) ask for "long term stay rate" that will give you 7 nights for the price of 5, thus removing the need to pak every weekend

2) ask for the local tax refund policy regarding long stays. For example, in Virginia, if you stay without checking out for 3 months, you get recalssified as a rental resident instead of a guest, and all hotel taxes are refunded.

bloombergtv Member
    Tjc New York wrote on insiders “HOORAY for CONCIERGE LOUNGES! That an  announcement* was posted by a member of the Marriott Concierge Team Just over two weeks ago  that Marriott would be reevaluating its Concierge Lounge offerings? What kind of evaluation?

Has anyone noticed that the benefits are less. I have not really noticed any changes. I wish the concierge lounges were open till 10 am but 9 is OK.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NYPassagier

"HOORAY for CONCIERGE LOUNGES!* announced that the Marriott Concierge Team would be reevaluating its Concierge Lounge offerings?" What kind of evaluation? Has anyone noticed that the benefits are less. I have not really noticed any changes."

Thank you for taking notice, the message is like wallpaper on the Insiders home page. HOORAY for CONCIERGE LOUNGES!* was posted early in April following an announcement by Marriott Concierge seen on Flyertalk.  Given the outcry from loyal Marriott guests ~everywhere~ and the defection to competing brands, Corporate gave the green light to Marriott Concierge to post on FlyerTalk.  The repost here was to provide a heads-up to Insiders who may not participate in FlyerTalk.  The post was edited weeks ago following the Letter to Elites from Ed French ** http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/topic/Insiders/Letter-Elite-Ed/13000003314&#msg13000006782

Improvements in Concierge offerings are spotty.  Some Insiders staying in the mid-West, Europe and Hong Kong have posted accolades about their Concierge experiences - raising expectations.  But overall, critical reviews continue to be posted in other locations.  

Many Insiders who voiced concerns about Concierge offerings have ceased to post.  Perhaps they defected to Hyatt or Hilton? 

HOORAY for CONCIERGE LOUNGES!

** Letter to Elites from Ed French

tjcnewyork Platinum

Like Kokoe I rarely encounter problems receiving upgrades at CY. Why?  I call Platinum Elite and request their assistance before arrival. In general, the CY Front Desk takes notice when Platinum Elite calls them. 

There are exceptions.  Recently, at a northeast CY, I reserved at a triple A rate.  Although the CY was not fully booked and had a Jr suite available they refused to do a comp upgrade.  No problemo.  Less than a mile is a Residence Inn with a 1 bedroom king and BF for a comparable rate so I cancelled CY and rebooked RI.  Although the CY is closer to the Interstate exit ramp, I have no time for Frontdesk nonsense.  Deliver legendary hospitality and service, or I'm gone.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

I've been upgraded many times at Courtyard. Toledo, OH and Myrtle Beach, SC are the best when it comes to upgrades, usually 2 room suites but I've experienced it across the country.

cfrstkyle Silver

Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites, and TownPlace Suites recently within the past few months received an upgrade to the computer system to allow greater flexibility with reward stays including booking reward reservations and things like refunding unused points for early checkouts on reward stays.

As far as upgrading reward stays this can be done two ways. All guests were able to "upgrade" reward stays upon checkin by using a few more points. More recently properties are now able to do in house upgrades without changing the reservation. Not all properties have the capability of inhouse upgrades though. Also, upgrades are only assigned the morning of arrival at the very earliest, but most likely at the time of checkin. For the best chance checking in close to the 3pm checkin time will yield a higher chance of receiving an upgrade. Also shorter reservations have a higher chance of having an upgraded room available for your entire stay.

As far as elite benefits at Courtyard there is the 10 points per dollar of points offered at Courtyard which is the highest of any of the Marriott properties. This doesn't include the bonus points for having silver, gold, or platinum status that you also receive. You do receive 200 additional points at checking for platinum reward guests as well.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"refunding unused points for early checkouts on reward stays"

Refunding of any kind is related to service delivery issues. Why would a back-end change affect policy regarding room rate or point rate. Kindly elaborate, thanks. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Has anyone been upgraded or recieved any elite benefits at a Courtyard?"

As you correctly point out, Courtyards tend to be limited in the number of junior suites and larger rooms.  I have however been lucky at throwing the dice and receiving a complimentary upgrade and more recently BF vouchers, too.  The BF offerings at this CY were upgraded including fresh prepared items and management was keen on receiving feedback.  Management was extremely engaging and the conversation was welcome.   

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I've only stayed in 4 different CY over the past 8 months (3 paid, 1 points), but recieved upgrade every time.  Stayed at the new CY West Omaha last month and was upgraded to a suite and comped breakfast.

bloombergtv Member

Glad to hear that some Courtyard  by Marriotts do upgrade because  rcrodgersjr said " Courtyard. Toledo, OH and Myrtle Beach, SC are the best when it comes to upgrades, usually 2 room suites"   but I have never had a 2 room suite. They say that cortyards dont have more than 2 suites in the hotel.

TJCNewYork had a good idea to call ahead but the one suite was booked in CA.

tjcnewyork Platinum

nycpassengier:

Calling ahead (several days prior to arrival) was a solution to a very challenging situation created by the 2009 Program Changes combined with service reductions due to the economy.  

As early as October 2008, it became very clear that Elite benefits like complimentary room upgrades and breakfast vouchers in particular - were no longer being given. 

As the economy became even more challenging in the 1st Qtr 2009, many hotels were holding out on comp upgrades hoping that a walk-in would pay for a junior suite or a 1 bedroom suite.

Calling ahead works.  Most of the time, the Front Desk people have a 'can do' attitude.  Their cooperation usually results in expectations being exceeded which I recognize by sending a handwritten note or an e-mail to customer.care@marriott.com.

Anything less than 'can do', the reservation is rebooked elsewhere.  Either my business is welcome, or I vote with my feet.

I have asked as a Platinum Premier and in a few instances have been pre-booked into suites.  If alone I normally say thanks but I don't need it.  If with the family I take it. Rate of success about 80% of the time.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"pre-booked into suites"

Getting the largest room at the lowest rate or using points is the ideal.  Hence, reserving online at the lowest AAA rate or the Pointsaver, requesting a comp upgrade and calling in advance to follow-up as Platinum has a success rate I'm happy with.  Some properties do not have the capability to guarantee a complimentary upgrade in their system (so I'm told). Again, if anything other than a 'can do' attitude is detected during that call prior to arrival, I rebook a reservation elsewhere immediately.

Being nice when reserving goes a long way toward being "rewarded" at checkin.  Being less than nice...well it often results in the no-reward.  I think nice is always best.  For most associates, the levels are meaningless in MR--just notifications on a reservation.  Marriott might want to focus on associate training that emphasizes the amount of time and dollars spent by a Platinum Premier guest--monies that eventually allow them to be employed by Marriott for another year.

Since associates are not supposed to gain points in MR, but they can belong, the whole system must sound a little hard to fathom. As I sais, training is the answer.  We'd be the beneficiaries.

tjcnewyork Platinum

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...