11 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2009 5:25 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Grand Hotel Flora

ronald71 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We will be there for a week in early November.  Would appreciate dining suggestions within walking distance if possible.  How do you rate the hotel dining facilities for quality and cost?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Grand Hotel Flora
    mikeboston Platinum

The location is wonderful - a short walk along the Villa Borghese to the top of the Spanish Steps. The hotel itself is mezzo mezzo. The property is beautiful, as are the public spaces. The rooms are (surprise!) a little small and somewhat dated. But everything is clean and the staff is very good. Be sure to ask for a room on the 4th floor or higher overlooking the Villa Borghese. The desk staff don't seem to recognize Platinums so you should hand them your card when checking in.

We only took advantage of the in-house restaurant for the complimentary breakfast which was very good if a bit crowded/hectic. It seemed geared to North American tastes. There were too many excellent dining options within a 10 minute walk to list.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madisonha Platinum

I assume you mean the hotel in Rome.  The hotel was magnificant and centrally located on Via Venito.  If you walk down the street there are several casual restaurants, one in particular that has a brick oven is good for light fare.  in addition, the subway station is only a coupl;e of blocks away and you can get to the historic districts, Colesseum, Forum, etc, very easily.  excellent restaurant by the Spanish Steps, Ala Ramba.

First picture from the roof of the hotel. 

jmudd0406 Platinum
    I am assuming this is the hotel in Rome?  We stayed there last year and the hotel is very nice, but the hotel restaurant is grossly overpriced.  Breakfast was in the range of $30, so we never ate at the hotel.  There are alot of restaurants on the same street as the hotel (you will see these if you walk from the hotel to the nearest subway station).  These have good food, but are a bit touristy and overpriced as well.  The best restaurant that we found was recommended by the chambermaid.  If you walk out of the hotel towards Villa Bourgese park, turn right at the end of the street and go a few blocks you will see an Italian restaurant with a yellow canopy.  Very good food and good price.  Entree's around 15 Euro or so.  Can't remember the name, but it was the best place that  we found in the area for the cost.

snuffy Silver

Great place stay. Close to all historic sites. Walking distance. Excelent chef at the hotel. Many good local restaurant

Great Hotel

gerrymc Platinum
    My wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at the Grand Hotel Flora in August and had a fantastic time. Everything about the hotel (staff, room, dining etc) was first class. I'd recommend it for those who want to visit the sites of Rome and also enjoy the hospitality of this top class Marriott hotel.

hotmansam Platinum

I will be going to this hotel in January I am looking foward to this!

buckwheat Platinum 2 Reviews

Make sure to say hello to Stefania, Calabrese and Marco...all at the front desk.  The BEST gelato in Rome is directly across from the Vatican Museum and is called the OLD BRIDGE.  In addition, walk out of the hotel and make an immediate left.  Walk to the corner, cross the street and make another left.  Proceed half-way down the street to LA BRUSCETTA and enjoy yourself.  It is insanely reasonable.  The CAPRESE SALAD is  wonderful, as is the margherita pizza.  Take this picture with you and tell him I sent you.  By the way, should you enjoy opera simply walk downstairs and listen to the amateur singers.  Ask someone for directions to another restaurant called THE MEETING.  It is near the AMERICAN EMBASSY.  Have a safe trip.

mpowerd Platinum 2 Reviews
    The food at the hotel was fantastic.  The Flora had the best breakfast buffet of any Marriott I have ever stayed at. If you are looking for a good dining experience close to the hotel you should try Café De Paris. The food and ambiance were great but the prices were a little high. It is located across the street from the Flora   

bdarrah Silver 2 Reviews

As mentioned elsewhere the buffet breakfast is fantastic and the setting for it on the 7th floor is even better (front desk will tell you how to get to the right elevator).  Attached are 2 photos from the roof of the Marriott where you have the breakfast.  One towards St. Peters and the other towards the Villa Bourghese.

Restaurant downstairs is good but expensive compared to many others down the hill towards the subway.  Front desk staff is outstanding.  Great place to stay.  Keep Smiling.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

My wife and I stayed at Marriott Grand Flora, Rome, earlier this year. Restaurants inside Marriott are superb. Just outside the hotel are also many sidewalk restaurants.

Three fountains, as attached, is in walking distance of hotel. If you need additional info, let me know.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

There isn't any hotel shuttle that I'm aware of but the hotel is located close to the subway (between the Spagna and Barberini stations).  Also, the bus system is supposed to be good.  Taxis will run a lot of money... and from what I understand the drivers will rip you off.

Here's a link to metro and bus info:

http://www.rome.info/transportation/

Still haven't had a chance to look up the restaurant info... think I've printed some places out for Rome and Venice.  Will try to get to soon.  Do your friends have any recommendations for Venice?  That will be my first stop in Italy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...