8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2008 1:02 PM by deirdre RSS

Marriott Los Suenoz in Costa Rica

deirdre Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are going as a family to Marriott Los Suenoz in Costa Rica in January. I heard it is $150.00 (for one) for the taxi from San Juan. Is it best to rent a car for the week, take a taxi or rent a car for a few days, each way. We are planning on exploring but do not know if we should drive around on our own or take tours to local places. Any suggestions would be helpful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Los Suenoz in Costa Rica
    whitlaw Platinum
    Arrange airport transportation through the hotel.  It was expensive, but not $150.  I believe $100 for two in an a/c van that stopped early so we could buy beer for the trip.  The hotel has an excursion planning office on site (white water rafting, volcanoes, zip lining, etc.)  Everything includes transportation so I wouldn't bother with a rental.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

charlesgoodman Platinum

The airport is in San Jose. Los Suenos is beautiful, but is like living on an American island and I wanted the kids to get some idea of the culture. You will not get this at the hotel or on packaged tours. We rented an SUV from Budget and found driving easy and convenient. It is about an hour to an hour and a half to the hotel.

The town next to Los Suenos is Jaco which is a very basic beach town. The exotic spot in that area is Manual Antonio park near Quepos. This has monkeys, sloths, a jungle reserve, etc. A few hours drive to the south and well worth it. 

The volcano at Arenal is great especially the hot springs, but we drove up and stayed there. It would be a long day trip.

topcat Platinum 1 Reviews

Having traveled extensively in CR and lived there off and on for 19 years, a rental SUV is highly recommended. While the hotel offers excellant tour choices, you will be much better served to get out and see a little of the country and meet the friendy, hospitable Tico's. You are a very short drive south to Manuel Antonio National Park which is located in the Quepos area. Now that the road to Quepos has been paved, the trip through tens of thousands of acres of palm oil plantations is unique to that country. While there is little to see from the road, there are numerous activities to be experienced that you can choose on your own schedule rather than be tethered to a tourist van. Unless you are a very early riser, that will be your best bet as most tours leave the hotel very early in the morning.

Whatever your decision, make sure to stop at the bridge over the Tarcoles River to see the massive crocodiles in the water and surrounding the banks as they are numerous and huge.

Have a great stay...you will enjoy the hotel and the amenities there.

jgarza Gold
    http://www.vacationcity.com/costa-rica/specials/  We were just in Costa Rica this past summer and did all of our tours through the Vacation City.  They picked us up from the airport delivered us to the Marriott in San Jose, picked us up the next day and delivered us to Los Suenoz and were early picking us up for all of our tours.  It was wonder no having to drive our selves and have a service that was to us totally dependable.  I am sure there are other just as good but this is the one we used and very pleased with.  You will love Costa Rica.

leetheflea Platinum

Hi, I stayed at both Marriotts, San Jose and Los Suenos, three years ago and white water rafted, jungle toured, etc. with tour busses.   It worked out ok.  I rented a car only for two days and we drove up the coast with scuba gear to go diving and having our own car was important with alll of that stuff.

I hope you have a fun trip.  I know I did.

karenc Platinum
    I recommend you rent a car.  driving is a bit crazy and roads are horrible in places, but it gives you max flexibilty.  We really enjoyed the Tree Top Canopy Tour.  The resort is very nice, but the beach is not so you will be limited to the pool if you don't have a car.

cynpaj Platinum
    Trying to decide between Los Suenoz Costa Rica or The Marriott in Cancun.  Any advice?

deirdre Platinum
    Thanks for the suggestions!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...