9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 4:24 PM by bloombergtv RSS

If security is good I can relax at a Resort

elitepro Member
Currently Being Moderated

Luckily security at Hotels in Houston during and after Hurricane Ike was excellent. The JW Marriott and the Intercontinental in particular implemented extra precautions. See http://www.elitepro-travel.com has a piece on Terrorists after a ton of explosives ripped through Islamabad, at part of the heavily guarded Marriott Hotel in Pakistan's capital, killing at least 55.
I was concerned about security at the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Mexico City when some street boys tried to open my hotel room door in the middle of the night. I think that they had come up from the garage via the fire escape. Judging from their apparel they appeared to be peasants and not guests. This was an isolate incident and I have always seen evidence that the security at the J.W. Marriott is the best in that country. It is a very well run hotel but I was concerned that John McCain would be safe when he stayed there after his visit to offer support to the hostage release of Ingrid Betancourt in Columbia in July 08. I dismissed my concerns when I saw that the security was top notch.
No matter how good the security is at any hotel, guests should bear in mind that we should call the front desk if we have doubts about opening the door. The security at the JW Marriott attended to my call immediately and I never had a problem again.
Pakistan’s recent army-led offensives against insurgents in its border regions has weeded out many of the Militant Islamic Terrorists, so sadly, sometimes it becomes worse before it becomes better.

We all have to be cautious and observant!

• Re: If security is good I can relax at a Resort
    travelvlaan Member
    elitepro-travel.com is correct. The main reason that we pay for good hotels is SECURITY.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bloombergtv Member

Women are always concerned about safety when we travel. When I am alone I am always aware of my surroundings until I can relax in my room. I would appreciate an inside room if it is on the ground floor because some of the Courtyards and Fairfield’s have windows on the parking lot and I am afraid that they can be broken quickly by a thief. Do the hotels give the best rooms to elite members the way the airlines save the front rows of economy for elite members? I suppose that they consider all the rooms to be the same at a Courtyard? I have a security alarm at home so I can sleep peacefully not so when I travel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

disastergirl Platinum
    When staying at the downown Marriott in Jackson Mississippi a week after Katerina, I was held up at gunpoint in the Marriott parking lot at 6:15 am. The security guard told me his shift started at 6:30 am and the last guard before this shift ended at 6:00 am. This man was eventually caught by the FBI and had a record of stealing. This incident has changed my life. I will never go to my car without looking around and checking before i leave the building. Nor will I keep more than one credit card or my checkbook in my purse.

caribchic Gold 1 Reviews

Security?  No disaster in Richmond VA, where Marriott security personnel allow local homeless to sleep on floors and couches of the lobby level common areas.  Yes, I have empathy, but I'm upstairs paying for my overnight stay and come downstairs to people asking for money....not a secure feeling, either...

elitepro Member

Sorry to hear that awful experience that disasterGirl had When staying at the downown Marriott in Jackson Mississippi a week after Katerina, held up at gunpoint in the Marriott parking lot.

The police are good in the USA but not in Mexico and other countries. I am packing to go to one of those countries now and have been reminded how important it is to register with your country Embassy when in a politicaly dangerous country.

The State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning travel abroad to register their travel with the Department of State.  Travel registration makes it possible to contact a traveler if necessary, whether because of a family emergency in the United States or because of a crisis in the place the traveler is visiting.  Registration is a free service provided by the State Department, and is easily accomplished online at  https://travelregistration.state.gov.  

Also always have the Embassy phone number on you.

elitepro Member

I was really afraid when the lights went out in my hotel room in Vegas, so I called the front desk.

We should all be vigilant and report any strange occurrence - especially after 9/11 we should not rely on any hotel manager. Can you imagine losing your passport in a hotel fire.-Look at my posting on this site –“If security is good  I can relax at a Resort”  and my blog;-  http://www.elitepro-travel.com where I have the consulate contacts everyone should have printed in their hand luggage in case there is an emergency in a foreign country. DRomero wrote in his post that he “wants to share an experience with everyone. I am currently staying at the San Antonio Riverwalk Marriott. First let me say that the staff here is really first class, however when my girlfriend and I returned from dinner last night, the entire lobby and lobby bar area was filled with smoke. We asked the staff and the manager what was going on and were told that it was caused by an old heating system being turned on and there was absolutely no danager. We than asked if anyone had notified the fire department "just in case" and were told no, that it was not necessary. We were not comfortable to go up to our room onthe 27th floor, so we sat at the lobby bar and waited for the smoke to recede. Forty five minutes later, it still had not improved and actually seemed to get worse. I than chose to call 911 myself and report a possible fire. This was the first the fire department heard anything about it and said they would send a truck. After watching the firemen do a through search, we retired to our room. The next morning we found a section of the lobby roped off and water dripping from the ceiling. I was shocked to find out (from several staff members) that there actually was a fire! Needless to say, no one was hurt but this could have been an incredible tragedy and I feel the management acted entirely inappropriate. I just wanted to put this out there in case any of you find yourself in a similar postion, you can't always trust what your told by management.(Writen by tRomero)

elitepro Member
    So Sad that Marriotts Ritz Carlton was attacked in Jakata.http://tinyurl.com/lrfc6oThe JW Marriott and the Ritz Carlton had metal detectors in the basement and in the lobby. Security was tight but can never be completely. There was an undetonated bomb on 18th floor.Tragic bombings at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Jakarta Indonesia

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Excellent advice.  We all need to be vigilant, and make sure we are seldom in a situation where we can be taken advantage of or worse.

Any prudent traveler will be sure that he or she has read the relevant travel warnings and if possible registered that trip with the Department of State.  

See http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html for more information.

bloombergtv Member

Ten years after 9/11 and I wonder how much more secure we are after all these  absurd security rules.

Some Marriott hotels in Indonesia have dog to smell your luggage before you check into the hotel. Has anyone experienced this?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...