4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2008 1:04 PM by solidme RSS

St. Thomas Marriott Hotel

jimedean Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We are interested in staying at this resort and are looking for comments from everyone who has stayed there in the past year.

• Re: St. Thomas Marriott Hotel
    phillip Silver

Just stayed at this hotel, the previous reviews I had read on tripadvisor, etc. scared me.

I had no such problems, seemed like a typical Marriott with a great view of the islands.

Restaurant service was prompt and my guestroom clean.  FYI stayed at Frenchmans Reef 18th floor Room 1847.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

beachygirl Gold
    We stayed at the Frenchmans Reef also and loved it.  The only downer was that you needed a car to get around.  We did not rent a car and had to call a cab just to go to dinner downtown.  The cab was like $40-$50 each way!!  I suggest doing the all inclusive and you won't have to leave the resort.  We didn't do that and wanted to explore anyway.  But because of the cost of the cab, we only went down 2 times.  Also, the stores downtown close so early, only a few restaurants open.  Overall, I wouldn't go back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phillip Silver

Beachygirl is right, cabs are expensive but me and my wife would pay 40-50 round trip for a cab.  There is a water taxi but it leaves at limited times.  You can negotiate with the drivers, Food is also very pricey on (especially) and off the resort because they need to import it.

solidme Platinum

My wife and I stayed there the last week of September 2008. 

It's a nice hotel with a friendly staff and a great location. We noted some minor cosmetic maintenance issues in the ocean front room but nothing major.

The pools were average, nothing special. Of the two hot tubs we tried to use, one had a great location and view, but did not work. The other had broken jets that shot the water straight up in the air over your head when you sat by them.

Part of the beach at the hotel was washed away by a storm, but we heard it was being replaced by December. The water in the Caribbean Sea was so warm and relaxing to be in. Struck up some great conversations with other guests as we were playing in it.

Despite the few things above, we had a great week there. We did not rent a car but instead used the island taxi drivers, which I highly recommend. It's a great chance to talk with the locals and adds something to your outings. We usually paid $6 to $8 per person per one way trip and ending up spending $400 - $500 on taxis for the week. A rental car would have cost us almost that much. Never a problem getting a taxi. There are 1400 of them on this small island.

Loved going into Charlotte Amailie and visiting the shops and vendors. You can get some very good deals and feel free to negotiate your price.

Not someplace we'd visit every year, but we've put it on our agenda to go back in 5 years.

Pictures are from our room at sunrise and Charlotte Amalie and the harbor from an overlook above the city.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...